cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory compatibility double check

flyinion
Level 12
I've found similar parts on the Asus compatibility listing, I just want to double check that I've made a good choice here. This GSkill memory package with a Maximus VII series board (probably the formula). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231619 I probably won't be overclocking out of the box, but eventually yes once everything is installed & stable. I know I could pay more $$$ and get some tighter out of the box timings, but this package would fit the price range I'm looking for and is compatible with my NH-D14 heatsink for my CPU.
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hello flyinion,

What you have listed there is G.Skill ripjaws z which is designed more for the x79 platform which would still work.

For 30 dollars more you can get this trident x kit and is 2400MHz. The fins on the trident x kit are removable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589

How about the Ripjaws X series? I guess I thought the Z series would work due to being listed as a dual channel kit. I'd rather not go with the Trident since I'm assuming it was designed with the full heatsinks in mind and I don't want to possibly affect anything by having to remove part of the heatsink.

kkn
Level 14
for the nd14 you have to think about ram height.

kkn wrote:
for the nd14 you have to think about ram height.

if i am not mistaken the motherboard does have four slots if you are not adding more rams like 4x4gb and using one or two modules i think(don't know if i am correct) then you can put them on the slot 3 and 4 without caring for height but i suggest looking for the max frequency that your mobo and cpu allow for example 4790k allows till 1600mhz without overclock and maximus VII formula allows 1600mhz without overclock,in this case i suggest 1600mhz if you are not going to overclock right away..

edited:i don't think you can use 2133mhz without overclocking,that would use less clock rate and the beast would be sealed away,if you use maximus VII formula you need the 1600mhz ram..i am still looking for an answer in my build adevice between vengeance and ripjaws x...

Mr..X wrote:
example 4790k allows till 1600mhz without overclock and maximus VII formula allows 1600mhz without overclock,in this case i suggest 1600mhz if you are not going to overclock right away..

edited:i don't think you can use 2133mhz without overclocking,that would use less clock rate and the beast would be sealed away,if you use maximus VII formula you need the 1600mhz ram..i am still looking for an answer in my build adevice between vengeance and ripjaws x...

all memory abow 1600mhz is oc, and if you get a kit of 2400 it just to set X.M.P inside bios and *poff* its done.
best memory for gaming is in the range from 1866 to 2133 and maybe up to the 2400mhz range.
abow that you will not notice enny thing in day to day usage realy.

and memory slots? use the recommended in the manual ( witch will be the red slots if im not mistaken ).

kkn wrote:
all memory abow 1600mhz is oc, and if you get a kit of 2400 it just to set X.M.P inside bios and *poff* its done.
best memory for gaming is in the range from 1866 to 2133 and maybe up to the 2400mhz range.

and memory slots? use the recommended in the manual ( witch will be the red slots if im not mistaken ).

thanks for the info.but if i buy 1600mhz cl9-9-9-24.can i overclock and acheive 2400mhz with somewhat comparable or non comparable latency?

Mr..X wrote:
thanks for the info.but if i buy 1600mhz cl9-9-9-24.can i overclock and acheive 2400mhz with somewhat comparable or non comparable latency?

You could try but I highly doubt you'll be able to get 1600mhz RAM to run at 2400. There's a reason the mfr. rated it for 1600 instead of 2400. Not to say that you can't get more than 1600 out of it, just very likely nowhere near 2400. Also, here's a good post on speed vs. latency. http://www.overclock.net/t/833520/ram-faster-speed-vs-lower-timing#post_10851735

flyinion wrote:
You could try but I highly doubt you'll be able to get 1600mhz RAM to run at 2400. There's a reason the mfr. rated it for 1600 instead of 2400. Not to say that you can't get more than 1600 out of it, just very likely nowhere near 2400. Also, here's a good post on speed vs. latency. http://www.overclock.net/t/833520/ram-faster-speed-vs-lower-timing#post_10851735

thanks for the reply buddy...

kkn wrote:

also will the latency decrease(becomes better),if the speed of module is decreased?