cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just finished my first PC Rig, had a few mishaps during

likwidsolutions
Level 7
Sorry this post turned a little longer than I intended, basically you can stop reading after the part where I mention the extra peripherals I am getting, I just wanted to know a few things about some. I am having a few problems getting started after building my first gaming rig (have built PCs before but not one that I went out specofically went out to buy specific parts for specific reasons). Usually it was for standard CPU daily tasks like using the internet, MS Word, little things; theis the first rig I went out and specifically bought individual parts for specific reasons. For the past 8 years or so I have been strictly a Mac guy but I never considered myself a PC gamer,So without further ado, here is my rig so far (I have ordered a few small things that I will mention):

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black Case/Blue LED Fans...hate that puke green color)
MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
CPU: Intel i5 4690k
CPU Cooler: H100i GTX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MhZ (I know this is stupid, but I had to buy the red ones because I couldn't find 2400MHz in blue ones to better match my case, even though the MB is Red mostly the fans are mostly blue, arghh. I did realize when putting the RAM in last night that the red cover comes off, is there anyway to buy the blue casing...Not a huge deal just curi0ous)
PSU: Corsair AX760i
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SCC+ ACX.20
HDDs: WDBlack^2 (120GB SSD/1TB HDD in 2.5" Form fact
Mouse: Logitech Proteus Core G502 (Love this thing but I kind of want to try the G602, the button placement doesn't seems as great as the 502 but I like the design and it looks more ergonomic. Let me know your opinion if you've tried both.)
Keyboard: I did have a SteelSeries APEX which I gpt ratjer djeapy but the day before yesterday when I got my PSU., aantally spilled some cereal and milk on it 😕 so yeah that's gone. I went out and bought a Logitech K750 but remember, I don't use a keyboard to game.

Case Fans: 3 x Stock Case Fans, the 2 x SP120s that came with the CPU Cooler, 1 x AF120 Intake in the back which I replaced with the stock and put it as an outtake on the bottom, and two intakes in the front. Now the problem that I ran into last night was I was unaware of which way the fans went and I ended up making them all intake, which was a bad thing, especially because I have my fans below the radiator in a push formation (or pull in that case, is that what it is called, when you have them blowing through the radiator with the radiator attached to the top, respective of the casing?)

Okay onto some of the problems that I need help with...

- The most important I believe is this.... when I was installing my H100i GTX CPU Cooler, I realized after a few minutes I accidentally had the AMD screws and not the intel ones, by time I figured it out (within 5 min), there was a bit of the thermal paste still on the CPU but I didn't think anything of it becuase it was only a few minutes. But I don't know that much about how long it can be on there before it's start drying or when it's safe still since it was in such a short period.

When I finished the build and I turned it on there was some problems getting through the UEFI to start, and I couldn't get Windows to boot (I saw the icon then it just kind of froze and I restarted it because it just seemed like something was wrong, decided to worry about it in the morning, but I fell asleep last night while the UEFI was open, and I am pretty sure it was staying on and shutting off because it happened once before I fell asleep and when I woke up I saw it happen, so I'm thinking it was overheating (luckily it was only a few hours, I don't want my parts overheating super quickly this early in their lifetime . I'm thinking it could be a few problems, my first thought was the thermal paste thing (which I ended up buying cleaner and paste anyways, will have soon from Amazon) But it may not be just the thermal paste. besides the fan thing which I've changed to the setup posted above (3 outtake, back, 2xTop; 2 front intake). I am going to try again here in a bit because I didn't update the UEFI or anything and was just kind of playing around, but I've read more of my MB book since beginning this post (I got distracted, figured some stuff out so it was actually longer

I haven't turned it on since because I'm thinking that it might be best to get some Thermal Paste even though the H100i (GT/GTX) has it applied already. I was planning on getting1 ~ IC Diamond Paste, which is one of the most recommended; Linus' Tech Videos had him endorsing them as his favorite to use on their servers, so I figure what the hell? I know Arctic Silver is another highly recomended one, either way they should both work whether it's the problem or not. So if I run into the same problem as last time (I don't know for sure if it was overheating, it's not as if I was running much, and my GPU is really the only thing in there besides the Wifi AC module, and other pertinent components.

- Another problem with my H100iGTX (although it may not be a problem, or it may be the similar solution as above), but when I started up the UEFI, it kept telling me that my CPU cooler fan isn't working and shows 0RPM. The Cooler came with a cable splitter so you could plug both of the SP120s that came with it and then plug the coolor's splitter in the CPU Fan Header. Also there is a CPU Opt. Fan head, what would that be used for? Either way I tried to use the splitter and then I tried to plug the fans in separately, still wasn't showing any difference or any CPU Fan Speeds. Whether it's the fans or not I plan to use those SP120s or another get some more Blue LEDs for the Front (1xSP120/1xAF120 or m, maybe something better, idk). But I did go ahead and order a fan header hub or whatever they are called, a PCW I believe, should make it easier to deal with either way.

The rest is stuff I am planning to add and don't know much about or could use advice on.

First, I have been using W10 TP on this laptop, and while there are of course bugs

I have bought the following items and devices to add in my PCIe slots (and then a few that I havn't but plan to):

Some PCIe/Non-PCIe stuff:

- IC Diamond Thermal Paste, I thought I ordered it already but I figured it can't HURT to have extra, plus I'm thinking of adding another GPU for Crossfire sometime and I want to make sure my GPU is protected, so I am going to buy a Backplate, and possibly a GPU cooler (at least apply some of the Thermal paste. Also bought some Arctic Cleaner.

- PCW Fan Hub (I think it does up to 10, which is the same as my case), question about these, will I still be able to use the other Fan Headers still given that there is enough power to the Hub I bought?

- Trusted Platform Module - I have heard mixed things about these, but it was cheap and I saw no reason NOT to buy it. I use PGP Encryption for some things and I am wondering if this may help. Either way, cheap purchase.

- Gigabyte 4K Module w/ 2 Thunderbolt II ports! (I was suprised to hear about this, as I saw ASUS' but this was only 40 something dollars. If I didn't have TB stuff left over from my Mac days). I read a few reviews and it looks like I will be able to get that theoretical 20GB/s, obviously not that much but still faster than USB 3, 3.1, or SATA. What sucks is my External HDD that was in a case made for my Thunderbolt Adapter crashed, I tried taking it out and repairing it, but no use. I then tried to put my new Black drive in it so I could start copying files from my Black^2 so I could do a full restore (which I think I will have to do anyways as the computer will need drivers to recognize both 120/1TB drives instead of the SSD only.

- An NTSX USB Header Extension (I believe it has 2 internal USB 2.0 ports as well as 2 more headers). I'm a bit surprised the Formula only has the 1 USB 2.0 Header. There is 2 more but it is for the ROG front base, and I do not know if it will work. Right now I am just trying to hook up both my PSU and CPU Cooler's Corsair Link, so it's not SUPER necessary yet, but if I can use the ROG port until I get the USB Header Hub

This isn't necessarily for my PC although I will be using it with it for gaming (which makes computer noises less significant), is a Turtle Beach Elite 800 (made for PS4, works with a Wireless Hub with a TOS Link in and out that is compatible with PS4, Windows, Mac, and even Xbox One with a little playing around.). The point it is, it has Surround Sound, 7.1) I am curious if I will still receive the same Surround sound, since it's going to be using USB (but I guess it will also be using the TOS Link on the MVII Formula, so that should offer premium sound. The thing is I already had one but the Headset broke, and I ended up buying a Virtual SS PS4 Gold Headset when I found a TB Elite 800 for 180, and so omce I return the PS4 Headset, it costs 100, and I may be able to sell the base becayuse Im sure there's someone else witha broken base and working headset, so hopefully I can replace it without too much cost.

I'm curious about the Wifi/Bluetooth Module on this MB. I know it has 802.11ac, which I can take advantage of, I have a NetGear Nighthawk AC1900 RM7000 Router, and it's blazing fast with the internet I have. I use Wifi constantly as it's not really much of an option otherwise I'd have ethernet cables running everywhere. I'm wondering if I can use GameFirst III with Wifi and if it has to be Ethernet can I use a Wifi Bridge? I have an AC Wifi Bridge.

Anyways obviously the fan thing is my biggest concern, other than that I think it's just about learning to operate the UEFI, as this is the first system I've bought with intention to OC so I will need to read up on those forums. Are all ROG MBs using the same firmware (assuming they've upgraded?)

Thanks again for helping if you replied!
2 REPLIES 2

kkn
Level 14
fans = MAX 1 amp per fan header on the motherboard.
IF you have the option to do cabled to the PC would be the best, personaly i dont do wifi when it comes to gaming period.
but if you want to try out the wifi and if thats the best option for you then do so.
dont instal ai suite ( been there done that ) it can overide BIOS at times ( depending on what it is ) for example an CPU OC that you have set up inside bios.
there are loads of free softwares out there that can do the same or bether then what ai suite does.

when it comes to the headset im not shure, personaly i have minijacks connected to mine and gets true surround of that.
and ive never tested USB sound TBH.
but when it comes to the optic on the motherboard it will only give you stereo unless you buy the software needed from creative it self ( think those delivers the option on the m7f ).
if you buy termal paste, get some kind of cleaning solution to take off the old one.
mabye take a read of this on how to do it if you dont know?
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/333968-28-thermal-paste-removal-installation-guide

and for the size of the termal paste? around a grain of rice.
http://www.asia-manufacturer.com/propicture/a47/37525/pb_owoj1308373706.jpg
it spreads out it self when it gets hot.
or else it will end up looking like this if you put on too mutch termal paste -> http://i.nextmedia.com.au/Utils/ImageResizer.ashx?n=http%3A%2F%2Fi.nextmedia.com.au%2FFeatures%2FThe...

read the instruction on the cpu cooler on where to connect the cables, i bet the fan splitter is going to the pump header and a cable from pump going to the CPU fan on the motherboard?
i have not used these sort of coolers my self but read up manual.

aisuite + corsair software = full crash and nothing but problems if they are instaled at the same time.

likwidsolutions
Level 7
Thanks for the advice. Yes the Fan Splitter is connected directly to the pump. So should I just connect the 2 fans on the radiator to the CPU Cooler and CPU Opt. Cooler ports? I bought a fan splitter that will be powered by my Power Supply so that should work out to give me better cable management. But right now I am more concerned with getting it up and running before I worry about the OCing stuff. I am new to OCing so I will be able to read up on it more after I am done getting the BIOS ready, the OS installed, and files transferred over. After that I will worry more about the fine tuning.