cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Poster ... Would Like Build Advice, Comments, and Suggestions

Diversemanx
Level 7
Hello !! Although I have been surfing this ROG forum for quite some time, this is my very first post here. I am a 62 year old 50% disabled Vietnam veteran and am going to build a new computer very soon. I have never built a new computer from scratch before, but I have replaced every single component in my old system at least once, including motherboard, power supply, cpu and heatsink, ram, graphic cards, hard drives, and DVD/CD burners. I feel confident that I can successfully build a new system and will be using guidelines for the build that are on this forum.

... I would very much like your advice, comments, and suggestions on the components I have currently selected for this build ... 🙂

... Budget: $2000 to $2500 U.S. dollars for base system only. My old computer is a very old 2003 Win XP system built around an ASUS A7N8X motherboard. For the time being I will be using my existing Acer 22 inch side monitor, Samsung 46 inch 3D HDTV with HDMI v1.4 inputs, Microsoft USB 2.0 wired keyboard, Logitech USB 2.0 powered wireless laser mouse, HP USB 2.0 powered printer, and Klipsch analog 2.1 speakers. At some point I will be purchasing a high quality 27 or 30 inch IPS monitor, a USB 3.0 flash drive, and a USB 3.0 external hard drive.

Main uses of intended build:

[1] Right now I only play one 3D "game" and it is Second Life. I actually make a few bucks within this "game" building in the 3D virtual world environment and selling my works within it. I have been actively playing this since 2007. Second Life does not do SLI very well if at all. The concensus of the Second Life forums is to buy the single best graphics card I can afford.
[2] I play correspondence chess from time to time and use Fritz chess playing software to analyze positions.
[3] I import digital photos and textures into Adobe Photoshop Elements for editing. Some of these get exported for use into the Second Life virtual world.
[4] Home theatre and media playback to my Samsung 46 inch 3D HDTV using a HDMI v1.4 connection and the TV's recommended resolution of 1920 x 1080 @60Hz refresh rate. I will be experimenting with using Second Life on the TV as well.
[5] I occasionally design and sell fairly complex spreadsheets and databases using MicroSoft Excel.
[6] If I eventually get a quality 30 inch IPS monitor the resolution I am aiming for is I believe 2560 x 1600 with a 16:10 aspect ratio and a displayport connection.
[7] Other uses include Microsoft Word documents, surfing the web, email, and listening to my CD music collection.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Parts required: ... Link: ... http://pcpartpicker.com/p/98N76h

Intel Core i7-4790K Quad-Core Processor "Devil's Canyon" ....... BX80646174790K .......... 340.00
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler ................................... RR-212E-20PK-R2 ......... 35.00
ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ......................................................... 205.00
G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 CAS 10 ........ F3-2400C10D-16GTX ... 175.00
Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5 inch Sata III SSD ................... MZ-7KE256BW ............... 190.00
Western Digital Black Series 1TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM Hard Drive ... WD1003FZEX .................. 95.00
ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC20C-4GD5 Graphics Card ............................................................. 580.00
Corsair 450D Mid Tower Case ...................................................... CC-9011049-WW ......... 120.00
SeaSonic 760W 80+ Platinum Power Supply ................................. SS-760XP2 .................... 160.00
Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ........................................................................ 100.00
Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2 pack) ........................... CO-9050002-WW .......... 30.00
Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition (2 each) ........................... CO-9050009-WW .......... 38.00

Initial new software:
Microsoft Windows 8.1 32/64-bit full version retail ........................................................... 120.00
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2013 ............................................................................... 140.00
Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 ............................................................................................ 100.00
Cyberlink Multimedia Suite 12 ............................................................................................. 135.00 ..... TOTAL 2,563.00

... The PCPartPicker link above shows a EVGA graphic card which I also like. Right now the ASUS card I have listed just above is not on the PCPartPicker site due to a general non-availability status. According to the Newegg site, the price of both cards are within approx $10 of each other.

---------------------------------------------------------------

... I will be getting lighting strips for inside the case at a later date and will need advice on these as I have never purchased or used them before.

... I usually play Second Life for approx 2 hour periods and then log out and restart computer to let the system cool down. I will probably be logging in to Second Life approx 2 to 3 times per day on average. Once I am satisfied with system stability, configuration, and temps, I will be hoping I can introduce a mild overclock to the CPU. The graphics card is already factory overclocked, but I may attempt to coax a little more out of it depending on temps. I will be leaving the RAM alone and hope that the CPU memory controller can work with it's 2400MHz speed. I will also be hoping the HERO motherboard can work with the RAM's 1.65v voltage requirement needed to attain the 2400MHz speed.

... I believe I do not have any unusual motherboard requirements with perhaps the exception of the fan headers. Not including the CPU heatsink fan which will be connected to the CPU fan header, I am thinking to install a total of 6 case fans; 2 front, 2 top, 1 rear, and 1 inside attached to the drive cage. The fans are all voltage controlled (7V - 12V) and will all be connected to the HERO's 4 chassis fan headers. I am hoping to use the BIOS and Fan Expert utility to control the fan settings. 2 of the fans (120mm) will connect to their own chassis fan header. The remaining 4 fans (140mm) will need to connect to the remaining 2 fan headers. The 140mm fans have a power draw of 0.1A each. I believe I will need 2 fan splitters. I have no experience with fan splitters and would like your advice on the choice of a couple of quality ones.

Extra information about desired system and additional advice requested:

I have no experience with water-cooled CPU cooler solutions and right now just can't get past placing a bunch of water inside a bunch of electronics ... 🙂

[1] I would like advice on choice of Thermal Compound for CPU/Heatsink.
[2] I would like advice on choice of 2 quality fan splitters.
[3] The HERO has 2 rear USB 2.0 ports and the Corsair 450D case has 2 front USB 3.0 ports. I have 3 USB 2.0 devices to connect which are my keyboard, mouse, and printer. Can I connect one of these into a rear USB 3.0 port?
[4] According to the HERO motherboard manual, DIMM voltage below 1.65V is recommended to protect the CPU. The G.Skill Trident X Series RAM listed above operates at 1.65V to attain it's 2400MHz speed. In addition, the PCPartPicker site linked above mentions that there may be a conflict with this RAM because of the 1.65V. Should I be concerned about this? If I were to go with a Trident X 2133MHz solution, this RAM operates at 1.6V which would alleviate the possible conflict.

... My strategy for purchasing online has been to make sure to either purchase from and authorized reseller that is listed on the manufacturer site or to purchase from the manufacturer site directly if the prices are close or the same as an authorized reseller. This sometimes results in paying a few dollars more, but I believe this avoids potential problems later on.

... Also, to be honest I am a little leary of even purchasing all this stuff online. I have worked at a U.S. Postal Service facility in the past and sometimes packages get literally tossed into containers. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for good luck and no damaged components ... 🙂

... Well, I can't think of anything else to address right now ... 🙂

... I would like to thank you in advance for your advice, comments, and suggestions ... -- Diversemanx ... 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

trose02
Level 7
What about Haswell-E on an LGA2011v3 MOBO?
You could go i7-5820K on an ASUS X99-A and be near your current budget.

The base clock on a 5820K(3.3GHz) is less than a 4790K(4.4GHz) so for single threaded apps this might not make as much sense.
But if you run multi-threaded apps or you run several apps simultaneously this could be an option, 6-cores on 5820 vs 4 cores on 4790.

For GPU support 5820 has 28 lanes of PCI-E 3.0 vs the 16 lanes on the 4790 and this might help any apps that support GPU acceleration.

The native USB 3.0 support provided by X-99 could be advantageous to your use of USB 3.0 drives.

And X-99 support of Quad Channel DDR-4 Memory may be useful.
You won't find any CAS 10 DDR4 memory right now, but DDR4 is native 4-channel at 2133 vs DDR3 being native 2-channel at 1600.

Pushes your budget slightly, but is somewhat more future-proof.
Just a thought.
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Rampage V Extreme
CPU: Intel Core-i7 5960X
CPU COOLER: Coolermaster Nepton 280XL
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2666 C15 32GB
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X Tri-X OC
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB x 2
HDD: Western Digitial Caviar Black 3TB x 2
PSU: Corsair AX1500i CASE: Corsair Obsidian 900D

jab383
Level 13
Hi, Diversemanx, and welcome

We have much in common, so I think I get it with your emphasis and uses for the rig you're building. I did come up with some comments:

You pretty well filled the budget with just a Hero and 4790K. Haswell-E and DDR4 are in the early-adopter price structure now and would be a big budget hit.

Are you planning any overclocking? That's what the K CPUs are for. The downside is that air cooling is even less effective on overclocked CPUs. If you're not expecting to overclock, maybe a 4790 or 4790S would be a better choice for the budget.

The PSU looks good. The GTX980 runs remarkably cool for its performance. I'd recommend a higher powered PSU if you were using an AMD GPU.

I advise sticking with the 2400C10 RAM. That's the speed I use with 4790K and 4770K -- different make of RAM, but same speed and voltage. Running with overclocks at RAM voltage of 1.68 hasn't hurt any of my CPUs nor hurt the RAM.

Your fan and splitter plan should work well. Any splitter from one of the dealers you are considering that has the right number of pins for the fan cables will work. I ordered mine when ordering other things to keep down the impact of shipping costs for a low-cost item.

Keyboard and mouse should be connected to USB2 ports so they are fully functional in BIOS where no USB3 drivers are installed. The printer can be connected through a USB3 port and work well - that's how I have mine.

I recommend Prolimtech PK-1 TIM. It's easy to apply and works well. It's thermal conductivity is great and makes PK-1 quite cost effective. A second choice, and first choice for some of us around the forum, is Arctic Silver 5. Other TIMs in that performance range are a little more expensive and don't give noticeable improvement in cooling. The next big step is to liquid metal, which you don't want to do. It's worthless without delidding a Haswell CPU and is electrically conductive. The risks and trouble aren't worth it unless overclocking is a big thing with you.

I understand your reluctance to use water cooling. I had the same and started with a CM Hyper 212 EVO. It's still around here somewhere. It works as well as most air coolers and is very cost effective. I ran into one problem with it, though. The heat spreader fins on my Corsair RAM are about as high as those on a G.Skill Trident X. That big RAM wouldn't fit in the first RAM slot under the 212EVO on a Maximus VI Hero (it's around here somewhere, too.) You may have to make a compromise by putting the A channel RAM in the second slot. I think ASUS recommends the first slot for one DIMM per channel. The other alternative compromises the budget - an All-in-One water cooler. Water will definitely run the 4790K cooler, will be quieter and should relieve the RAM fit problem in the first slot. Sorry, I don't know enough about the available AIO kits to recommend one.

I have bought many parts of my rig on line, but most of it came from the local MicroCenter. Do you live near one of their stores? It may be worth a day trip if one is within a 1 or 2 hundred miles. Microcenter prices, especially motherboard/CPU combos, are very good. Otherwise, any of the online outlets I've seen covered on pcpartpicker are reputable.

Of course, these are all my own opinions and YMMV.

Jeff

Thank you trose02 and jab383 for your kind input and suggestions ... 🙂

trose02 ...

I had thought about Haswell-E, X99, DDR4, the 5820, and the 28 lanes but decided against it. I don't run apps or other programs simultaneously. I am thinking the quad-core i7-4790k and hyperthreading will be plenty good enough for the multi-threaded programs I will run. Also, I think 16 lanes will be more than enough as well; 1 graphics card, 1 optical drive, 1 SSD, and 1 hard drive. This will give me the ability for expansion later. I believe Z97 supports native 3.0 USB as well. The two USB 3.0 drives will be connected to the front of the 450D case and only occasionally needed. The flash drive for moving files "on the go" and the external hard drive for back-ups and system image files. When I'm not using these, which will be most of the time, they will be disconnected.

jab383 ...

Great feedback for my intended build ... 🙂

I have already made a note of your suggestions and will be looking them over carefully. I will be initially using the CM Hyper 212 EVO for my CPU, but I would eventually like to use a top mounted 240mm or 280mm AIO for it in the future. After I receive the Corsair 450D case I will take the measurements for radiator and fan clearances.

I downloaded the latest (Sept 2014) Maximus VII HERO motherboard manual a few days ago. I believe ASUS recommends using slots A2 and B2 for 2 sticks of RAM. This would be the 2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU. I will be hoping this alleviates any clearance issues between the EVO and the RAM.

The nearest MicroCenter store to me is in Southern Cal. I live in the state of Washington. That would be a heck of a day trip ... 🙂

On another note ... 🙂

Many thanks to the people in this forum. The build advice threads I have been reading here for the past year have been great. I would have been hard pressed to come up with a decent build list without the suggestions made by the pro's here helping others like me who have posted their build lists and asked for advice. So, if I don't receive any feedback concerning any major flaws or conflicts they see for my build list, I am going to begin ordering the components listed above this Friday. Once I receive all the components, I will be using guides posted on this forum for the actual build ... 🙂

--Diversemanx