cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Boot Black Screen Issues? READ THIS!

speedrcr
Level 7
I wanted to share the experience I had with a new build that might save some people some time and aggravation.

This is purely intended to be helpful for others as there's not much posted out there! There's 2 issues/configurations identified in this that maybe of help.

I had a couple friends that experienced "complications" as well (and then others that didn't) with a new TUF Gaming X570 and with the same Wifi equivalent.

All 4 of us experience ODD and what we thought was random issues but more of combination of errors/issues/configurations.

First if you are encountering this, see if you can re-use your boot from a prior build. While Windows 10 isn't perfect with loading all your drivers and when you're moving to a new motherboard it is "optimal" to reformat; use another build to see if it boots. All you need is to verify itf it actually boots but forget about the Black screen and how for now. Just see if it hands off to an OS.

If it does, and everything seems fine, stop right there; don't worry, you're not finished.

Reboot and verify it reboots as expected but misses the POST or BIOS screen. If it does, this will help and I'm almost willing to bet you have an Nvidia card.

If the above is correct, get their "tool" and verify that the DisplayPort Firmware on your card is up to date or has the fix for UEFI boot.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

We experienced this issue on a wide range of cards from 1060's, 1070's, 1080's, Ti's and non-Ti's.

This was lost a while back and was super difficult to find and associate with this problem. It was peculiar as some friends had 2080's and 2070's and have DisplayPort 1.4 features.

It literally took plugging an old 280X I had to find the problem.

Secondly, what caused a problem on one of the boards, was a continual loop boot problem with one of the Wifi boards. By default the internal Wifi card on the TUF Gaming X570 is turned on (which is not a good idea Asus)!! On your install boot, Windows 10 will find the Wifi enabled and try to activate the driver's services on first boot which causes Windows 10 to Crash!!!

Sure Windows 10 will see it in setup, let you join your network, then when it needs to reboot to setup, it will continually crash. To bypass this, disable the Wifi in the BIOS and then boot to Windows. Let it setup fully, install additional drivers, and even apply updates via LAN (or USB). Then turn on the internal Wifi in the BIOS and reboot.

While I understand this is not fully Asus' fault, I figured I'd post to avoid some of the hassles encountered!

Hope this Helps!
0 REPLIES 0