Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debating whether to do exhaust or intake fan on the side of my case

neonitron
Level 7
I have a CoolerMaster HAF Stacker 915R
(Here is a link --> LINK )

It's the model that only has the power supply at the top back (which is kind of annoying, because typically I would have just installed an exhaust fan at the back and top, but I can't because the power supply needs to be there). It exhausts air in the back outwards and upwards, essentially how this image is showing:
LINK

The case has the option for the following fans:

• Front: 92 mm fan x 1 (installed)
  • Sides: 120 mm fan x 6 / 140 mm fan x 4 (optional; compatibility may vary based on hardware configuration)
  • Radiators (Side): Up to 140 mm (optional; compatibility may vary based on hardware configuration)

So I basically just have the Front and the Sides to work with. I've installed a 92 mm fan on the front for intake. (Which is fine)

My video card is large ( GTX 1070 ) and therefore I can't install any fans on the Left side of my case.

So that just leaves me with the Right side ...

Now here is my question 🙂 Sorry for being wordy ...

Should I really do an intake fan for the Right side? Or should it be an exhaust? Is the Power supply alone sufficient for exhaust?

If I go along with the diagram here, I'm leaning towards intake fan, but I just wanted to check with the Asus Rog community to get your thoughts: Airflow diagram.

---

P.S. - Do you know if the video card is technically sucking in air from the side (outside of case and exhausting it internally? Or is it taking air from inside the case and exhausting it out the right side of the case?
4 REPLIES 4

BigJohnny
Level 13
PSU fan is for PSU, dont count that into any equation for air flow.
The video card takes air from the case and dumps it in the case.
What are you using for CPU cooling?
Id be more inclined to use them as exhaust as your video card is going to get the majority of its intake from the other side then dump all the hot air into the case. Uining it as intake will probably just cause it to circulate hot air inside the case.

BigJohnny wrote:
PSU fan is for PSU, dont count that into any equation for air flow.
The video card takes air from the case and dumps it in the case.
What are you using for CPU cooling?
Id be more inclined to use them as exhaust as your video card is going to get the majority of its intake from the other side then dump all the hot air into the case. Uining it as intake will probably just cause it to circulate hot air inside the case.

That's kinda what I was thinking too. Use it as exhaust fan. That's actually how I have it setup currently. But I was a tad thrown off with the diagrams on CoolerMaster's website which show it as Intake fans.

I'm basically depending on the Power Supply as my only exhaust otherwise. This case is kinda dumb from that perspective. They made a different model that has the PSU on the bottom so that you can install an exhaust fan on the top back (but not on the one I have).

For CPU cooling I'm just using the AMD Wraith Spire Cooler. Stock one. Whenever I have checked the temperatures it seems to be running light usage around 50 degrees C and then when intensive gaming it'll go up to around 70-80 degrees C.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Ome way to find out for sure. try both ways and see what temps you get. My experiance with the GPU on air dumping heat into the case its better to pull that heat out the other side which will force fresh air into the front of the GPU intake.

BigJohnny wrote:
Ome way to find out for sure. try both ways and see what temps you get. My experiance with the GPU on air dumping heat into the case its better to pull that heat out the other side which will force fresh air into the front of the GPU intake.

Makes sense. Will do some testing. Thanks a lot for your response!