cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshire VIII Hero wifi BIOS problems (probably?)

LeCaster
Level 7
Good day. I want to ask for advice concerning a new PC I'm building. First I'll list the components in case someone can point out some issue I could miss:

MB: Crosshire VIII HERO wifi

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X (compatible after BIOS 2311)

RAM: G-Skill F4-3200C16D-32GTRS 2 sticks 16 gig each

NVMe WD BLACK SN750 SE

CPU Air cooler Corsair A500

PSU Cooler master silent pro RS-A00-AMBA-J3 1000W

The problem is, from the beginning as I tried to apply the BIOS update to the 2311 ver. I've been running into many different issues: from a message saying :

WARNING! BIOS RECOVERY MODE HAS BEEN DETECTED, PLEASE PUT THE FILE "C8HW.CAP" INTO HDD OR A REMOVABLE USB MEDIA DEVICE, AND THEN RESET YOUR COMPUTER.

That one was at the very first time after trying to update to BIOS 2311 using the Flashback method (I didn't had another CPU), but it wouldn't be the last time I would see that message. I tried to apply all the BIOS versions at the motherboard's support section (from oldest to newest), but it didn't work quite well most of the time, from black screens at the boot to a BIOS password lockscreen (I haven't set any password). In the end, the BIOS 3003 actually worked -I can access the BIOS setup and it correctly recognizes the hardware, BUT it fails to install windows- it just stops at a blue (or sometimes black) screen and shuts down after a couple of minutes. I tried to use the EZ method to update the BIOS on the 3003 menus, but it simply says that the file isn't a valid BIOS file (I know the name of the file shouldn't be changed using that method.
At first, I thought it was the CPU's fault, but I borrow a motherboard B450 gaming and updated the BIOS using the EZ tool without issues to use the ryzen 9, and it worked just fine (I didn't had to install windows, it recognized the one already installed)
Funny enough, I tried using a ryzen 7 3700X (the one from the B450 gaming motherboard) and it started the windows installation without issues with my motherboard. I didn't complete the installation because I want to check if I should ask for the motherboard's warranty while I can, plus it would be complicated if for any reason I need to reinstall windows and I have to borrow another CPU to do so.

Did someone ever have similar issues? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for reading this. Cheers!
5 REPLIES 5

AS185
Level 10
Hey there,

Ok, so let's start from scratch. Make sure you correctly installed the 5900X into the socket. For the time being, install only one RAM module into slot A_2. Install the graphics card and NVMe into M.2_1 socket. Be certain that you connected all of the power ATX connectors. There's 3 of them.
The question is where did you download BIOS 3003 from? It's not listed on Asuses website support page. Did you download a valid BIOS file and just renamed it to 3003?

Thanks for your answer. Oh, there is a 3003 BIOS version, just pick the option to show all versions:

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-hero-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_bios...

And yeah, I tried every step you suggested, but no luck so far, and even worst- ASUS doesn't have a repair center for motherboards in my country AND the store where I purchase the MB is doing everything in its power to avoid helping me in any way. I'm kind of on my own...

gupsterg
Level 13
LeCaster wrote:
Good day. I want to ask for advice concerning a new PC I'm building. First I'll list the components in case someone can point out some issue I could miss:

MB: Crosshire VIII HERO wifi

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X (compatible after BIOS 2311)

RAM: G-Skill F4-3200C16D-32GTRS 2 sticks 16 gig each

NVMe WD BLACK SN750 SE

CPU Air cooler Corsair A500

PSU Cooler master silent pro RS-A00-AMBA-J3 1000W

The problem is, from the beginning as I tried to apply the BIOS update to the 2311 ver. I've been running into many different issues: from a message saying :

WARNING! BIOS RECOVERY MODE HAS BEEN DETECTED, PLEASE PUT THE FILE "C8HW.CAP" INTO HDD OR A REMOVABLE USB MEDIA DEVICE, AND THEN RESET YOUR COMPUTER.

That one was at the very first time after trying to update to BIOS 2311 using the Flashback method (I didn't had another CPU), but it wouldn't be the last time I would see that message. I tried to apply all the BIOS versions at the motherboard's support section (from oldest to newest), but it didn't work quite well most of the time, from black screens at the boot to a BIOS password lockscreen (I haven't set any password). In the end, the BIOS 3003 actually worked -I can access the BIOS setup and it correctly recognizes the hardware, BUT it fails to install windows- it just stops at a blue (or sometimes black) screen and shuts down after a couple of minutes. I tried to use the EZ method to update the BIOS on the 3003 menus, but it simply says that the file isn't a valid BIOS file (I know the name of the file shouldn't be changed using that method.
At first, I thought it was the CPU's fault, but I borrow a motherboard B450 gaming and updated the BIOS using the EZ tool without issues to use the ryzen 9, and it worked just fine (I didn't had to install windows, it recognized the one already installed)
Funny enough, I tried using a ryzen 7 3700X (the one from the B450 gaming motherboard) and it started the windows installation without issues with my motherboard. I didn't complete the installation because I want to check if I should ask for the motherboard's warranty while I can, plus it would be complicated if for any reason I need to reinstall windows and I have to borrow another CPU to do so.

Did someone ever have similar issues? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for reading this. Cheers!

I know you tried all UEFIs, but I'd use latest UEFI 4201, UEFI 3003 is from 2020.

Perhaps remove CMOS battery for 5 minutes or so and reinsert. Use the Clear CMOS button on rear IO. Then I'd flash UEFI 4201 using the "Flashback" method".

If using Windows 11, I'd be opting for a UEFI from 3702 onwards, Windows 11 supported. You'll see in notes "Support Windows 11 by default, no settings changes required in the UEFI BIOS." perhaps the settings they speak of are incorrect for install to work on older UEFI.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Thanks for your answer. I tried both with the clear button and by removing the battery, but no luck so far. I tried making a "clear" reset of CMOS and installing the latest version as you said, but it just doesn't boot- just a sad black screen.
I call ASUS customer service for help/advice or to ship the motherboard for repair regardless of the guarantee, but no luck. They even kind of troll me by mailing me a link for some firmware (which I would need a functional operating system to install), the BIOS for the regular crosshair VIII hero (I had a hard time explaining to them that the "wifi" version is a different motherboard) and a link to the Microsoft website to download the media creation tool. I was speechless...

LeCaster wrote:
Thanks for your answer. I tried both with the clear button and by removing the battery, but no luck so far. I tried making a "clear" reset of CMOS and installing the latest version as you said, but it just doesn't boot- just a sad black screen.
I call ASUS customer service for help/advice or to ship the motherboard for repair regardless of the guarantee, but no luck. They even kind of troll me by mailing me a link for some firmware (which I would need a functional operating system to install), the BIOS for the regular crosshair VIII hero (I had a hard time explaining to them that the "wifi" version is a different motherboard) and a link to the Microsoft website to download the media creation tool. I was speechless...

Shame process didn't yield result. From your posts seems you have done as much as you can.

Only thing is to try bare minimum of hardware as AS185 suggested.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video