cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a new computer build,need lots of advice

Mr__X
Level 7
hi there..firstly i don't know much about computer building and this is my second build(first got screwed up due to a shop vendor and msi...)
what i have:
graphic card:msi nvidia gtx 610 2gb
hdd:1tb 5400 rpm wd
dvd writer:lg(don't know the specs and i don't want an upgrade in this)
monitor:aoc lm925 48cm(19”) TFT Color LCD Monitor
keyboard and mouse:logitech wireless k220 combo

what i am planning to buy
psu:seasonic 750 km3
case: phantom 530
processor:intel 4790k(little confused between 4770k and 4790k for some inbuilt instructions in 4770k which are absent in 4770k)
motherboard:asus maximus VII formula
ram:g skill 8gbripjaws x 1600mhz ( 8x1gb )
oc:yes i will do but after the warranty is over.need to use this for about 5 years i guess...

also i have some doubts(pardon me if they are riduculous)
1.dual channel won't work as i am using single ram
2.i have seen the compatibilty memory list and psu list for the motheboard both are not mentioned in the list will they work properly.
3.shall i wait for 5th generation haswell processor that would require ddr4 ram ...i guess then i need to wait a year..

all replies are appreciated and thanks for reading the above...
23 REPLIES 23

Chino
Level 15

you can expect 1000$-1200$...but at my place things are costly and the exchange of goods is via another currency...

Mr..X wrote:
you can expect 1000$-1200$...but at my place things are costly and the exchange of goods is via another currency...

Where do you live?

Chino wrote:
Where do you live?

india

kkn
Level 14
you dont loose warranty by OC'ing mobos, exept if you melt them 😛

kkn wrote:
you dont loose warranty by OC'ing mobos, exept if you melt them 😛

thanks buddy,for letting me know about this...i think i read on amd that you void your warranty when overclocking,i am mistaken...

kkn
Level 14
no you can not get to 2400 on 1600mhz ram.
the motherboard will set memory default to 1600 and then you can set xmp profile witch witt set the value the ram is rated at.
lets say you have a 2133mhz ram.
go to bios. set xmp profile and voila you have it on 2133mhz.
and you can oc it a lill higher if you know how to do it.

kkn wrote:
no you can not get to 2400 on 1600mhz ram.
the motherboard will set memory default to 1600 and then you can set xmp profile witch witt set the value the ram is rated at.
lets say you have a 2133mhz ram.
go to bios. set xmp profile and voila you have it on 2133mhz.
and you can oc it a lill higher if you know how to do it.

do you mean 1600mhz cannot be overclocked to get 2400mhz?
if yes,then if i buy 2133 mhz ram and set xmp profile will i be able to run the memory at higher speed if i have not overclocked my cpu nd motherboard
if no,then which memory should i buy to have a good overclockable ram,which gives good enough speed on overclocking ...
thanks for the reply...

kkn
Level 14
ram that is rated to 2400mhz can be used at 1600mhz.
it is made to run at 2400mhz max at stated voltage.
and yes you can oc 2400mhz ram higher but that will only make it hotter and it needs more voltage and you can end up damage the ram.
cpu. if you are lucky to get a good quality one you can oc it past 5ghz whit no problem
if you are unlucky it will not go past 4.2ghz.
so all in all it depends on how lucky you get when buying a cpu if its good or not.