cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4TB HDD not recognized by Motherboard but works in a docking station

heeroyuy25
Level 7
hello fellow ROG members,

it's been awhile since I've been in here but I hope someone can give me an advice or explanation on what's going on. so, I recently just upgraded my board and processor and went with a Ryzen 5900x and Asus Dark Hero mobo from an 8th gen i7 8700k and a maximux xi code. I reused my old parts then when I plugged in my 4tb hdd its telling me it's not initialized, checked bios and i cant seem to see it there. updated my bios version to the latest one that was released this month and still having issues with my 4tb hdd. I have a docking station here for an hdd i tested and it worked out well and i can see my files and stuff. I am stuck on what to do and I am unsure if it's a bad mobo? I tested other data cable on the existing ssd i have and it still doest show up or does not initialized. is anyone in here experienced the same issue? any advice?
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
You said another cable with another drive doesn't initialize either? Have you tried a different port on the motherboard? Tried a different power connector?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
You said another cable with another drive doesn't initialize either? Have you tried a different port on the motherboard? Tried a different power connector?

Thanks for the response. yes I have tried different port and power cable. same issue. it's weird, as of now I am using a docking station for my 4TB WD Black HDD but I want to have it internal if possible. I just don't understand why it doesn't work.

xeromist
I just noticed you said the machine is "telling" you that it's not intialized. You're getting that message from Windows? That means the drive is being recognized but perhaps it has a strange partition table. If you can copy important data off of the drive you could try using fdisk to delete all of the partitions from the drive manually, then try formatting it again.

As to not being recognized in the BIOS, are you sure you are not looking at the boot order? That only tells you the boot order of device *types* like CDROM, USB, etc. That does not tell you all drives that are installed. Anyway, I guess that's not super important since you're not trying to boot from it, but I figured it's worth mentioning.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

If your drive is formatted MBR that might be the problem. If so you will have to convert to GPT.

Zelestin
Level 7

I got the same problem with the same hdd WD black 4tb that I just bought, Mainboard did't detect it and can't initialize in window but I can use it with dock station.

Still try to figure out what the problem, I will try older version bios. 

J_Bish
Level 10

My educated guess would be a MBR corruption issue. I would copy important files and reformat the drive and go from there...