cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XIII HERO back USB-C Thunderbolt ports does not see HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

BOzk74
Level 7
Hi,

As you know XIII hero has 3 USB-C ports. 2 at the back 1 at the front. Strangely the back USB-C ports does not see my HP Reverb G2 VR headset whereas the front USB C port does not have this issue. I also checked whether the back ports are working or not with a USB-C hub and they are ok with the hub, but not ok with the HP Reverb G2.

By the way, my Win 10 install is fresh, all chipset drivers ok and BIOS is 0605. (I have an i7-10700 so I did not upgraded it to 0707 since it seems it's for the 11th gen processors)

I'll be glad if there is a solution to this since I had to use one of the much needed USB ports at the back and I specifically bought XIII HERO because of its USB-C port usage for my VR headsets.

Best regards.
10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
The back ports are a bit different because they are thunderbolt ports. Have you installed the chipset drivers and thunderbolt drivers from your motherboard's support page?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Hi,

I installed both the chipset and thunderbolt drivers from Day 1. Actually installing all the drivers was the first thing I did after installing Win 10. Also the drivers I installed were the ones that are on the product's support page, not the ones on the CD.

And as I mentioned the Thunderbolt ports seems ok, since I also hooked them up with a USB-C hub ( I'm using that hub daily with my Lenovo work laptop etc.) just to see if they are working or not.

Best regards.

xeromist
Not sure then. I guess I would check the Device Manager when you plug it in to see if any devices at all appear. Sorry nothing else comes to mind.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks for the support.

I also tried that actually. Unfortunately not even a "not recognized device" message appears on Device Manager. Just, nothing happens. I even opened a support ticket to HP that my G2 is broken thinking that it does not work. I just accidentally found out that the front USB C port recognizes G2.. 🙂 After all these I came here to seek help. My former mobo was XII Formula and it was working perfectly.

I'm just thinking Thunderbolt 4 ports are not that backward compatible with USB-C standards as claimed, at least for now.

Best regards.

xeromist
Does the G2 have updatable firmware? It's possible that even if it's primarily the motherboard mishandling the connection HP may be able to patch the headset to workaround the issue, especially if multiple host devices have this issue.

Yeah, just keep an eye out for new chipset releases. If you haven't already it might be worth calling ASUS support just so they hear there is an issue. The more people that call the more likely it will get patched, IMO.

My original post was removed for some reason? I have never been able to get my Oculus Quest 2 to be recognised on this MB. Huge time trying to sort this out with Oculus Tech and Asus. Nothing has worked. The Quest 2 is NOT recognised on ANY USB port. My previous system with a Asus Maximus VIII Hero did work fine with the Link cable, so this strongly suggest a MB or Asus/Intel USB driver problem with the Maximus XIII Hero. I do have the Oculus Air Link, but this is not as good as the USB Cable Link. Very disappointed at this considering that this should be a gaming MB, and Oculus VR is a part of my gaming.

xeromist
@Lionhart
I didn't delete it but I think another moderator thought it was the same problem as your previous thread?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?123771-ROG-Maximus-XIII-Hero-Thuderbolt-USB-NOT-working

Hi. Same problem as you. But my VR is a Oculus Quest 2. For months now I have been trying to get the Oculus USB Link Cable to work with my XIII MB (USB Device Not Recognised). My BIOS is latest and all drivers updated. Oculus do have Air Link, that does work but it is not as good as the PC Link Cable. The strange aspect is, the Quest 2 Cable Link worked fine on my previous system Asus Maximus VIII Hero MB and Intel i7-6700K CPU. I will continue to send Asus messages until this problem is resolved.

Same here, the back usb port c don' reconice the Reverb G2