cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Core i7 Ivy Bridge Improvements Over Sandy Bridge

Black4
Level 8
If I'm using my Rig primarily for gaming, are there significant performance or future-proofing advantages of the just-introduced Ivy Bridge processors (paired with the Z77 chipset mainboards, of course)?
A Republic of Gamers heart.

The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.
11 REPLIES 11

HiVizMan
Level 40
Based on your system specs there will be a huge gain in the CPU performance stakes and of course in the ram clocking too.

Future proofing - well there is no such thing in PC land sadly. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan,
Ivy Bridge over Sandy Bridge is what I meant, sorry. Has the Ivy Bridge over Sandy Bridge premium got good value?

HiVizMan wrote:
Based on your system specs there will be a huge gain in the CPU performance stakes and of course in the ram clocking too.

Future proofing - well there is no such thing in PC land sadly. 🙂

Lilkka
Level 9
Hi,

I'll be honest.. Ivy bridge is only useful if you intend to spend $$$ on the new PCI 3.0 GFX cards, there is very small improvements over the Sandy/Ivy - but if your upgrading for the first time which by the looks of it is then i suggest you highly go with a Ivy as that will give that "Future proof" type of idea.. yes there isn't much in the way of future proof but everyone want's a pc to keep for several years so grab a Ivy and then down the line get yourself a PCI-E 3.0 GFX card, the CPU will run at 2.0 (basically it won't fully use all bandwith until you get the 3.0 card) so it'll have backwards working for your older GFX cards.
PC Specs: Intel 2500k - 4.6GHZ (Overclocked) 7 Stepping CPU.
Corsair Vengance 16GB 4GB Kit @ 1600MHZ 9/9/9/24/2 - now overclocked: 1866 9/10/9/27/2- ATI 6850 GFX - (OC 855mhz/1165) -
Maximus Gene Z/Gen 3 3305 BIOS, Voltages: Ram 1.6 - CPU 1.360 / 75% Vdroop. VCCISO 1.1500.
Antec 300 Case - Sata II 5400 RPM 500GB Master HDD.

RoG Member! And Proud!

Lilkka

HiVizMan
Level 40
Honest reply is SB is better for water and air cooling. The gains are like 4 % on the CPU processing power, however if you are using the IPG then the gains are huge. But still not as good as the on board graphics of AMD. Llano for example rules the desktop market because of the great performance of the IGP.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Honest reply is SB is better for water and air cooling. The gains are like 4 % on the CPU processing power, however if you are using the IPG then the gains are huge. But still not as good as the on board graphics of AMD. Llano for example rules the desktop market because of the great performance of the IGP.

Yeah pretty much this, but really since your gaining your first one Ivy bridge will do nicely and allow you to potentially buy a PCI 3.0 card down the line somewhere in the next 1 year but Sandybridges do clock better (that is if you are after 4.8ghz + which most people aren't.)

If the price is close (in the uk it's £17 you might as well pick up the Ivy and have the upgrade room).
Corsair Vengance 16GB 4GB Kit @ 1600MHZ 9/9/9/24/2 - now overclocked: 1866 9/10/9/27/2- ATI 6850 GFX - (OC 855mhz/1165) -
Maximus Gene Z/Gen 3 3305 BIOS, Voltages: Ram 1.6 - CPU 1.360 / 75% Vdroop. VCCISO 1.1500.

RoG Member! And Proud!

Lilkka

Black4
Level 8
Thanks guys.

I just bought my GTX560 Ti 448 Cores DirectCU II last month, so I definitely don't expect to upgrade graphics cards anytime soon. Don't need PCI 3.0 functionality at this time.

Getting a Gene-Z/GEN3 and Core i7 2500K with DDR3 1866MHz memory next, and that will have to do me for a while. In a few years I'll consider upgrading the lot of them again.

Using my Rig for Battlefield 3 for the most part anyway, at this time.

Lilkka
Level 9
Oh i suggest getting the Sabertooth or Gene Z, you'll be far better off than the Gene Z / Gen 3 board, and grab yourself 2000mhz + ram (G.Skill have good ones) This will help you alot with applications - alot say that in real world you cannot notice the differences but i don't see why bandwith wouldn't help. I feel as if it does, certiantly helps with loading and various things like that and with a RAID you might see some nice performance boosts (got to think about what the pc is doing inside you cannot see so why not grab the higher rams? That way you'll be just on the times instead of being slightly outdated 😉 )

Anyway, I wish you luck and if you need anymore advice from us just feel free to start a thread or you can PM me if you so wish.

Have a nice day!

RoG Member! And Proud!

Lilkka

Black4
Level 8
Why the Gene-Z over the Gene-Z/GEN3 board, mate?

Lilkka
Level 9
I dunno i just like the idea of a V sign instead of the IV 😄 (V rocks better), theres a few settings too that also help performance .. aka i think it was the new DRAM setup that placed to the boards and PCI 3.0 lanes and so on.. few differences so its just a personal preference.

RoG Member! And Proud!

Lilkka