Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chassis fan not spinning GT35 - SOLVED

Pierre990429
Level 7
hello,

good day,

I just bought an Asus ROG STRIX GT 35 with i9 11900KF and RTX 3090; there is an AIO pump.
(yeah it's a lot of money; I managed to keep my previous rig 11 years : Win7, I will miss you)
I realized the rear fan in the chassis is not spinning. Doesn't seem connected to anything as far as I can see.
The PC runs fine, does not overheat or crash (tested Plague Tale Requiem 2 hours, ultra/high settings mix, 1080p @60Hz), and no warning when booting.
The BIOS looks like this : (see images)

I have also read that the AIO pump speed is usually false because of a "multiplicator" thing (??);

SO, should I worry ? Did Asus rely so much on the AIO pump and the rest that there are no chassis fans ?
The Geforce 3090 behaves normally too (fans not spinning when not intense gaming)

Last question: I'm a noob here, so I guess it's normal the AIO pump isn't totally quiet, even when browsing ?
It isn't very loud, but it's different from an "air cooling fan", higher pitched noise.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.
4 REPLIES 4

Jnanislore
Level 9
I'm on the same Firmware and my fans are functioning properly, so try using CPUID HWMonitor on your desktop and see how those fans are doing, best regards. It could be reporting badly in the Firmware and be having no issues, but I would test it on desktop with CPUID HWMonitor to be sure and make corrections as needed. Not having fans spinning on the case is obvious though, so if they're working, then they're working. On my system the hardest fans to spot are the GPU fan and the CPU fan, and by looking at my desktop I can tell if everything else is working or not, but every system is different, but just saying. Those are your case fans, and it looks like you have a water pump running. Chassis is case fan, and the AIO Pump is for your watercooler. I don't use that, so mine doesn't show up, but that looks like what you have running, so just saying. And your CPU fan is spinning, so that's a snapshot of your system.

I just use air cooling and the system is fine, but be careful with watercoolers, because if they leak you have a major issue on your hands.

Pierre990429
Level 7
Thanks for your answer. I didn't build the PC, it's a pre-built ASUS. Apparently they chose the AIO pump solution. As I said, the system is not overheating.
I can physically see that the rear case fan (the only one I can see) is not spinning. But when I turn the PC off, I can hear blades slowing down, probably from the waterpump "radiator", which is on top. The chassis is a "grillage" on all sides but the bottom and the glass side. At idle, it's cold at touch.

Link in French here :
https://www.darty.com/nav/achat/informatique/bureau-bureau/bureau/asus_gt35cg-1190kf109w.html#produc...

You can see the waterpump on one of the photos.

Best regards.

Well, I hope I answered your question. It's a nicely built machine, and I hope you never have a problem with it leaking. My machine was designed by me. I call her Flow. And I'm the architect behind her design and even wrote a guide on computers after her, but your system is unique in the respect that it reflects a different building principle. They didn't even use the power cables for the mobo to power it, so they must be doing a lot of different design ideas, along with the GPU and how it works. It doesn't even look like it's in dual channel memory mode, because it's using four DIMMs Vs Two, but there might be a way around it. Typically for dual channel memory you use two DIMMs, and they go in a certain way. You'd have to read your mobo manual to figure it out, and the mobo manual I don't think covers dual channel memory on my board, but they show you how to use two DIMMs, so that should be it, but I don't build computers like that, so mine doesn't look like that, but I'm happy with what I put together, and she's a marvelous machine. I'm using my old case, so it's sitting inside a full tower of my old build, which was an AM3. I bought a limited-edition Phenom 2 x4 case eleven years ago, so using that, and everything is like new, fans still working, etc. I built an old Phenom 2 X4 965 Black Edition a long time ago, and it lasted eleven years and was a really nice gaming rig for a while. I used an old MSI board for that build, but switched to Asus after procuring my parts for my new design principles for my new build last year, which was this I'm on now, and I haven't bought the video card yet, so I'm still on my Radeon RX 460, but she's fast even with an older card, so it's pretty crazy, and I've even run VR games like I'm now and it was downscaled a bit, but was running fast and looked really good for as old as the card I'm on now, so there it is.

This rig will run just about anything full blast, so I really didn't need anything more than this for my own personal style. This is pretty souped up for me and I'm used to using slower machines, as I learned the ropes on old office computers, which I turned into gaming rigs when I was younger, but these new systems are so much smoother and nicer, even with older hardware, so it's perfect. You don't have to have all the latest greatest stuff to get off the ground running. I also have an old R9 390 laying around, but it runs much hotter than the RX 460, so I don't use it at the moment, but both are fine cards for gaming. I will upgrade my video card and leave this machine alone. It's fast enough for my needs and will be for a long time. The B550 boards can be upgraded into the latest processors too. I can go all the way up to AMD Ryzen 9 5950 or AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, but out of the box it works well with a 3600X. I'd need to upgrade the Firmware to go beyond that. PCIE slot is 4.0 too, so it's pretty solid, but it's a 3.0 system sitting on 4.0 slots. Feeding it like 800w at the moment but was running on 600w on my old power supply, so it can handle much less, but I want to make sure after my 4.0 video card upgrade, I'm still fine. On this system, if you crossfire two video cards, it needs a minimum power of 1000k wats! It's insane.

This is a mid-range build, supercomputer. That's an eleven-year-old limited edition AM3 Phenom 2 X4 965 Black Edition case. It has stickers all over it, and that's a mamba sticker to the right of the window. You can't really see it well, because the lighting in my room is only a small lamp, but that's what it is. It's kind of dark in here... It has a lot of badges on it too. Let me take another shot of the front. The case was a little dirty when I took these shots, so it could look nicer, but there it is. Not exactly l33t, but good enough for me. I'll order a new case when this one expires, but so far so good. Cooler Master actually has nice cases. A buddy of mine tried to get me to get rid of this case, but I wouldn't. It's my whole history as a builder. I don't want to part with it, because it has all my badges and stickers on it. Temps on air on the processor push north of 70-72 degrees under heavy load, but that's about it, just have to make sure your thermal paste is good every once in a while, and the fan collects dust, but it's not too much trouble, and never use compressed air on your computer, because it can fry your board, so always dust it out with a dry rag or something soft, and a pipe clearer helps, or a brush.

Pierre990429
Level 7
Tha's impressive, you certainly know what you do.
As a matter of fact I was wrong, the case fan DOES spin on start-up, and then stops, and also sometimes during circa 10 seconds under heavy load (Plague Tale Requiem after 2 hours) . I just didn't pay enough attention. And I turned Aurora off, so I couldn't see it clearly.
So the pre-built cooling must be very efficient .