cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which headset should I get with the Xonar Phoebus?

Zyppe
Level 7
Hi there!

Never been much of an "audiophile" in the past, but now since I just built a new rig I figured I'd want to upgrade the audio-department also and invest in a separate soundcard (thinking of the Xonar Phoebus currently), new (basic) speakers and a new headset which would be the primary source of audio most of the time.

As for the speakers I was thinking about going with a simple 2.1 setup like the Logitech Z623. These should sit well with the card, no? Without any incompatibility issues whatsoever?

But when it comes to the headset I'm still undecided and thought it might be a good idea to ask for advice.

The sound quality has to be good/great as I'd use the headphone part for listening music & watching movies a lot, but shouldn't forget about the gaming aspect either. Needs to have a mic (hence the headset part) and the mic needs to be one that you can flip up, insert into the headphones and remove when it's not in use. Mainly using it with Mumble, Steam Voice and Skype so would like decent quality, but there's no need to do recording with it. I also want the headphones to cover the whole ear so that they're comfortable to use over longer periods of time. Willing to pay upto ~200€ (£172).

Currently considering Sennheiser PC 360 GAME.

Would those be a good match with the soundcard?
Should I go with ones that have surround capabilities?
Does the soundcard provide multichannel audio for headphones that support it? I mean all of these 5.1/7.1 seem to come with a usb-connection and built in "soundcards".

Any input and help would be much appriciated!

If you need more info/specs about my rig or whatever, just ask!
4 REPLIES 4

appsmarsterx
Level 7
dont bother with surround usb headset gimmicks .. all you need is good hi-fi stereo headphone with a good sound stage .. PC 360 is a good choice ..
here is a good thread.. this might help you if you are new to gaming headphones
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-4-13-mad-dog-added#

xfiniti64
Level 7
I am using ROG ORION for gaming. It combo wery good

skywalker311
Level 8
You cant go wrong with Sennheiser but I would use a different sound card. You could go with ASUS Xonar Essence STX which I hear is really great sound card or Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR. They both have great drivers. I was going the same route that you were going a year ago and if you look on the forum you'll see they still have bad drivers. if you are also big into movies and music then ASUS Xonar Essence STX are the way to go.
Phanteks enthoo primo, i7-4770k, ASUS MVIF, 16GB G.Skill Trident X Ram, ASUS 780 Ti DC2O, Samsung 120GB and crucial M500 480gb SSD, 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive, NZXT 850W power supply
EK Supremacy, EK ASUS MVIF Water Block, EK Monarch Series X4 Ram, EK ASUS 780 Ti DCII, EK 420 Cool Stream Rad, XPSC 240mm RAD,Monsoon Series Two Dual Bay Reservoir, Swiftech MCP655-PWM-Water Pump, Monsoon Compression Fittings & Tubbing, Mayhems Pastel Red with Mayhems ultra pure h20.

Sennheiser HD 600/650

But that may be too much, it depends what you ear/money. I've the PC350 150Ohm, the other guy suggested you the 360 (differs that its open and has less Ohms (50) and it's kind of prettier)

I would tell you, again, sennheiser you won't go wrong, it's kind of pick a price range. Beyerdynamic DT 900 also may be good from what I ear, I see them quite cheap which is appealing to me 8D but that couching type seems to get nasty. So....

(BTW A headset doesn't need to have a mic, if you say/demand and choose so, you will fail in the great audio quality. I warned you. Mics cost money, so wtv man) I would go back and buy a non mic HD 650. No matter how many years I would have to save money. They last if you treat them well. Plus you have the desk mic from the phoebus, I would say it is enough for a mic and you already paied for it. My opinion do wtv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOPN0LCTtPw (last part)

As long you stay away from gaming audio and trendys you're fine. don't be idiot like mainstream are.