cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT-AC88U - Causing "Server not found" while browsing the internet?

DrKlingeL
Level 7
Hello everyone!

I have a strange problem assumingly with my ASUS RT-AC88U Gaming Router.
Well it is not really a problem but rather an inconvenience and I dont know what is causing it.

Since the latest firmware update "3.0.0.4.386_45987-gb8fc0b6" I have following issue:

A few times a day I cant open websites. I get following error message "server not found" and my steam chat goes offline for a couple of seconds too.
(My modem stays online).
If I reload the page I wanted to open, then it works perfectly again for a few minutes. Well until it happens again.
At the same time when I cant access websites and get the above error I can still talk with people over Teamspeak, so I still should have internet connectivity. If I am in an Online Game it does also not disconnect while I am having the issue.

So I am loosing connectivity frequently but also not?

At first I thought my Pihole and my own DNS Server are causing this trouble. But even when I shut it down and use the standard Google DNS 8.8.8.8 I still get the same issue. So I connected my pc directly to my modem and the issue stopped happening (even with my pihole active).

At the same time when the issue with my router started to occur my ISP changed my IP adress from IPV6 to IPV4 but this should not make any problems for the router i assume.

Does anyone have a solution or rather a way to diagnose this problem?

I even reset the router to default settings. I also checked if IPV6 is disabled on my router.
-> The issue was still there.

I also turned off my modem and my router a few times and that didnt help either.
I could settle with connecting my pc directly to my modem but then I have no access to my nas or to the router interface anymore.

I. am. lost. 🙂

Best regards,
DrKlingeL
1 REPLY 1

DrKlingeL
Level 7
I finally found the weirdest solution to my problem.
I have no idea why it works, but I changed nothing else but this setting.

Here is how I solved the issue:

1. Log into your router interface
2. Open "Adaptive QoS".
3. Activate it (if not already activated).
4. Set the QoS type to "traditional QoS".
5. You have to set some value for the up- and download speeds (preferably one that is similar to the speed of your internet connection or do what I did and put a value that far exceeds my internet speed just to be sure).
6. Apply
7. After that the router loads and restarts.

I would be very interested to know why it works with QoS though.
If someone is able to explain to me why it works with QoS enabled, I would be very thankful 🙂