cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG AsusWRT on Rapture GT-5300 - OpenVPN (VPN Client/Fusion)

Eta_Carinae
Level 7
Hi Folks,

I have an ROG Rapture GT-5300 router. I have been having difficulty using the VPN Client ("VPN Fusion" on this router) with OpenVPN. From the start, I've never been able to set the VPN connection as default - doing so causes the WAN connection to drop and is unable to reconnect unless I set the "Internet" back to the default connection. That's fine - my way around this was to setup each device individually in the table below to connect to the OpenVPN server I set up.

However, in the latest firmware update from October 2, 2018, even when the VPN is not the default connection, the WAN disconnects. Is anyone else having this issue? Typically, the "VPN Client" section on Asus routers has worked very well with OpenVPN, but I feel like on the GT-5300 it is just fundamentally broken and never quite works properly. Has anyone else been having this issue?

I use ExpressVPN to access my paid Hulu and (US) Netflix subscriptions from Canada. I am a US citizen, paying with my US accounts for the services, but am living in Canada - so nothing nefarious. Obviously I can set the VPN up on each device, but I like to have it setup on the router so that my Apple TV, Xbox One X, and other media streaming devices without configurability natively with VPN software, can access the US-based content. What I like about ExpressVPN is that I can access these services - specifically Netflix and Hulu - without sacrificing speed and without 'proxy detection' - every time.

Has anyone else been having unrelenting issues with OpenVPN clients and the ROG Rapture GT-5300? I don't want to give up the other powerful functions of this router, but more and more I'm tempted to go back to a standard Asus router with stock AsusWRT software (not the ROG interface on the GT-5300) that has a proven reliable VPN Client that works with OpenVPN.

Thanks for any feedback and/or suggestions that anyone has!

Cheers,
Eta*
1 REPLY 1

wellyers
Level 8
Eta Carinae wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have an ROG Rapture GT-5300 router. I have been having difficulty using the VPN Client ("VPN Fusion" on this router) with OpenVPN. From the start, I've never been able to set the VPN connection as default - doing so causes the WAN connection to drop and is unable to reconnect unless I set the "Internet" back to the default connection. That's fine - my way around this was to setup each device individually in the table below to connect to the OpenVPN server I set up.

However, in the latest firmware update from October 2, 2018, even when the VPN is not the default connection, the WAN disconnects. Is anyone else having this issue? Typically, the "VPN Client" section on Asus routers has worked very well with OpenVPN, but I feel like on the GT-5300 it is just fundamentally broken and never quite works properly. Has anyone else been having this issue?

I use ExpressVPN to access my paid Hulu and (US) Netflix subscriptions from Canada. I am a US citizen, paying with my US accounts for the services, but am living in Canada - so nothing nefarious. Obviously I can set the VPN up on each device, but I like to have it setup on the router so that my Apple TV, Xbox One X, and other media streaming devices without configurability natively with VPN software, can access the US-based content. What I like about ExpressVPN is that I can access these services - specifically Netflix and Hulu - without sacrificing speed and without 'proxy detection' - every time.

Has anyone else been having unrelenting issues with OpenVPN clients and the ROG Rapture GT-5300? I don't want to give up the other powerful functions of this router, but more and more I'm tempted to go back to a standard Asus router with stock AsusWRT software (not the ROG interface on the GT-5300) that has a proven reliable VPN Client that works with OpenVPN.

Thanks for any feedback and/or suggestions that anyone has!

Cheers,
Eta*

I got the problem same with you.

The feature VPN Fushion still not work in firmware 3.0.0.4.384.32799, i'm using ExpressVPN and activated in specific device to use ExpressVPN, but when activated the ExpressVPN using OpenVPN, the Router happen likes hang or not responding.

My post also in other thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95399-GT-AC5300-Wifi-problems&p=744977#post744977