cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling guest networks kills 2.4ghz channel

david_mckee1
Level 7
I'm sure there is a reason or explanation but WOW, I just figured out after almost 2 years of running the GT-AX11000 that if I enable the guest channels, I lose 2.4ghz. I've spent hours and hours trying to figure out what was going on. I almost scrapped Asus altogether due to my frustrations..

I could connect to the 2.4 channels but nothing else and the connections would constantly drop anyways. Very interesting. I hope someone more experienced can explain.

Hope this helps someone else!
5 REPLIES 5

jzchen
Level 14
Wow! You may have just cracked the riddle that's been puzzling: Some are having no trouble yet others seem to be experiencing a nightmare!

I have no use for a guest network, at least 95+% of the time. When we have guests over I just share the network that we use...

jzchen wrote:
Wow! You may have just cracked the riddle that's been puzzling: Some are having no trouble yet others seem to be experiencing a nightmare!

I have no use for a guest network, at least 95+% of the time. When we have guests over I just share the network that we use...

It's absolutely insane. 3 days 16 hour(s) 25 minute(s) 27 seconds with no problems now unless I turn the guest networks back on. This is the first time in years I'm happy with my Asus network.

I actually need the guest networks though. We always have company at the house, so an open network option is very convenient versus sharing.

I'd like to hear from others if this was just me or an actual issue.

Could it be that running an open network with all the security improvements could cause a problem?  

Have you tried it with a password enabled?

It doesn't appear my 2.4 GHz turns off but I have one of the 5 GHz radios set as the Guest network.

I am currently trying to set up a 2.4 GHz version, with a password.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Tried all security combinations, from open to WPA2/WPA3 personal; it didn't matter. The issue is, if I enable Guest 1 (or maybe Guest 2 as well, can't recall if I tried), some of my IoT devices fail to connect. So I disabled the already provided guest networks and created a new custom one for IoT. The devices now work on regular or IoT 2.4Ghz networks, no more issues.

dogmansta
Level 7

I just had this discovery. I recently bought the RT-AX88U Pro router and discovered that my Honeywell Thermostats and my Rachio sprinkler control is unable to connect when I had the two 2.4 and 5.0 guest networks enabled. I disabled them both and now they just connect fine. I read in some other forums that this had something to do with VLANs, but I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation. I tried many other options, including connecting the guest networks or a new IoT SSID I created, none of them worked.

It's been more than a year since your original post and the issue continues. I will experiment a bit more, like adding only 5.0 guest network, but I'm starting to get on the nerves of my family with constant WiFi restarts 🙂 More news later...