cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AiMesh (AC86U + AC68U) falls down to 2.4GHz and/or goes Offline

jonnieZG
Level 7
I have an AC86U working as a primary router, and one AC68U connected as an AiMesh node. Firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45149 on both.

Configured separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The routers use 5GHz band for communication and signal strength between the two is in range -62 dB and -59 dB, surrounding 5GHz channels are pretty much clear, so there should be no interference with others.

Problems:

• Ater a day or so, the connection between the two falls down to 2.4GHz and does not switch back to 5GHz until I reboot one of the routers.
  • Ocasionally the node gets marked as Offline. The computers connected to the node loose connection to Internet, but I can still SSH to the router. Again, it has to be rebooted to get the connection back.

It annoys the hell out of me. Please, does anyone have a solution?
Thanks!

• Airtime Fairness: Disabled
  • Multi-User MIMO: Enabled
  • Explicit/802.11ac Beamforming: Enable
  • Universal Beamforming: Disable
7 REPLIES 7

rcrexer
Level 7
jonnieZG wrote:
I have an AC86U working as a primary router, and one AC68U connected as an AiMesh node. Firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45149 on both.

Configured separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The routers use 5GHz band for communication and signal strength between the two is in range -62 dB and -59 dB, surrounding 5GHz channels are pretty much clear, so there should be no interference with others.

Problems:

• Ater a day or so, the connection between the two falls down to 2.4GHz and does not switch back to 5GHz until I reboot one of the routers.
  • Ocasionally the node gets marked as Offline. The computers connected to the node loose connection to Internet, but I can still SSH to the router. Again, it has to be rebooted to get the connection back.

It annoys the hell out of me. Please, does anyone have a solution?
Thanks!

• Airtime Fairness: Disabled
  • Multi-User MIMO: Enabled
  • Explicit/802.11ac Beamforming: Enable
  • Universal Beamforming: Disable

I have had the same problem for about two years now. I have a 86U as my router and have tried THREE different 68U as nodes. ALL of them will go offline without about 72 hours. Sometimes they go offline within 24, 48 hours...totally random. If I reset my router and nodes, they will go back online but then repeat the same offline behavior.

Every time new firmware comes out, I am excited to try it, but alas, it fails every time. I have reached out to ASUS tech support and they were completely useless, basically telling me there is no problem on their end. I am exasperated and basically gave up about a year ago.

MyDNA
Level 7
not sure if your router is a DSL-AC68U, if it is there's a firmware update Version 3.0.0.4.384_81140 that might fix your issue:

Webpage:
https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

Direct download:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/DSL-AC68U/FW_DSL_AC68U_v300438481140.zip

MD5 of unzipped firmware file: 33fa13b545b5c8eff24c4fdb421462e0

Is this problem really fixed? I am on firmware 3.0.0.4.384_81930 with a newly bought AC86U router as node. Device connected to the node often reports wifi connection drop. And every few days the node will go offline. I am very disappointed. Just as I typed, wifi connection drops.. Bravo.

I found this thread searching why my aimesh GT-AX11000 / RT-AX92U randomly drops the backhaul connection to 2.4ghz, even if 5ghz signal strength looks good.
On my side as well the only solution seem to be to reboot the node, so doesn’t look like issues are solved yetÂ*

Grouzy wrote:
I found this thread searching why my aimesh GT-AX11000 / RT-AX92U randomly drops the backhaul connection to 2.4ghz, even if 5ghz signal strength looks good.
On my side as well the only solution seem to be to reboot the node, so doesn’t look like issues are solved yetÂ*

For some reason, ASUS refuses to acknowledge or fix this issue.

I have two GT-AX11000 which are set up in air mesh node.
I have a 3 story house 7000 square feet.
The router on the first-floor is hardwired to the router on the second floor through the walls.
Every 24 to 36 hours I have my internet drop out for all devices.
You can go to the router's page and see that it says disconnected from WAN.
You can click the gear icon on the top of the page and reset the router and everything is fine.

This is definitely an issue with the air mesh mode.
I had maid service in my house a few weeks ago and they accidentally clicked the Wi-Fi off button on the second-floor router.
My internet was working fine for 3 weeks.
All of a sudden, my wife wants to watch a movie on our 77-inch OLED in the master bedroom and we can't get 4k streaming going.
I log into the router and it says Wi-Fi off as the Wi-Fi was off on the second router.
I then turn the Wi-Fi back on and had good streaming internet speeds for the TV then 2 days later I'm back to having my internet die every 24 to 36 hours.

I figure only about >5% of the entire Asus population uses this feature and that's why it hasn't been fixed.
They also probably outsource their firmware development and don't put much QA into it in the form of regression and smoke testing.

Very frustrating as I am writing this with $6,000 worth of ASUS monitors on my desk. 3x PG27UQ .

~ Words from a random Technology Executive.

Yeah.. all this is frustrating...
I'm trying something new at the moment that I read on another forum: I have deactivated anything to do with DFS channels. As I live not that far from a major UK airport, it's possible these come up and down depending on the time of the day and affect stability.
It's not ideal as that means loosing the 160MHz band as well, but at this stage I just want something stable over super fast.
It's Â*been up just for few days for now, so too early to tell if that really changes something.

Grouzy wrote:
Yeah.. all this is frustrating...
I'm trying something new at the moment that I read on another forum: I have deactivated anything to do with DFS channels. As I live not that far from a major UK airport, it's possible these come up and down depending on the time of the day and affect stability.
It's not ideal as that means loosing the 160MHz band as well, but at this stage I just want something stable over super fast.
It's Â*been up just for few days for now, so too early to tell if that really changes something.

Good thinking. Let me know if that keeps working. I only have one device that can use 160MHz anyways. Like you... Stability > Speed. The things that matter are hardwired anyways.