cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to install Linux to dual boot on ASUS ROG Zephyrus M16 laptop

zrog
Level 7

Hello there,

I've been struggling for days to install CentOS 7 on a new ASUS ROG Zephyrus M16 laptop (Intel Core i9, NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060)

I have installed several Linux OS previously on Desktop machines without any difficulties, but no luck with this laptop.

I have a USB stick with a CentOS .iso image, when I run the BIOS and boot with that, I can start the installation process of CentOS normally, but then it doesn't detect my hard-drive partition or any disk.

So then, in the BIOS settings, I disabled the 'Secure Boot' and 'Fast Boot' options. I also disabled the 'Fast Start up' in Windows 11.  But again No disks are detectable by the CentOS installer.

So then I figured it out that I need to disable, in the BIOS, the 'VMD Technology' option in order to make the CentOS installer detect my disks (Even though there's a warning message saying this can cause malfunction). OK... Anyhow now I would be able to install CentOS on my partition, So I tried to disable 'VMD Technology' anyway.

But wait!! Now I can't even startup Windows 11 anymore! 

So I had to re-enable 'VMD technology' again to revive Windows, and I'm stuck at this point.

Does anybody know how to dual boot Windows 11 on this laptop with CentOS correctly?

I can't find support on this, but there must be a way.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 REPLIES 2

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @zrog ,

Unfortunately, but as the Zephyrus M16 laptop does not come with Linux OS pre-installed, so we do not have specific technical instructions for installing Linux OS.

However, based on your description,provide you with the following information as a reference for installing Linux OS on Windows 11. Thank you.

1. You can use VMware virtual disk: 
Create a virtual machine on Windows 11 and install the Linux operating system within that virtual machine. You can download and install VMware Workstation or VirtualBox, then create and configure the virtual machine according to the instructions provided by the respective software. Once the virtual machine is set up, you can download the desired Linux .iso image and use it as the installation media for the virtual machine. Follow the instructions within the virtual machine to install Linux.

2. Install Intel IRST Linux drivers (This may address the issue you encountered): 
In some cases, during Linux installation, the hard drive may not be recognized due to missing drivers. Intel provides Linux versions of the IRST drivers, which you can download and install from the official Intel website. After installing the drivers, restart your computer and begin the Linux installation process. This will ensure that Linux can properly recognize and utilize your hard drive.

Patroclo
Level 7

Double-check the system you are trying to install has UEFI support enabled.

As a datapoint, Fedora 38 installs/runs just fine. I would recommend using a second, dedicated, NVME for linux.