cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Extreme+13900K 128gb memtest error - no issue with 12600k

Stegybot
Level 7

Hello everybody,

I'm facing an issue that I don't know how to solve, really hope that someone could help me.

My specs:

Asus Maximus Z690 Extreme (bios up to date)

Intel i9-13900k

Kingston Fury Beast, DDR5, 64GB 2x (total 128gb) (no XMP)

Seasonic Prime PX-1600

When I boot the computer with these configuration and start Memtest, I have some error that appear.

If I remove 2 memory and keep only 2 (slot a1 + b1): No problem

If I inverse the slot (a2 + b2): No problem either

If I use two other memory kit (4x16 sticks) I have the same problem

So I changed the cpu for a new one and still the same problem. So replaced the motherboard, no improvement, same error in the memtest.

I finally try with a i7-12600K, now the memtest is running since 2 hours with no error.

Is this possible that with Z6xx and i*-13xx there are known problem like this ? Or maybe there is something I can change in the bios to help managing the memory ?

Of course, If I use the computer, I have some random crash/freez when calculating 3d render.

Thank you in advance

3 REPLIES 3

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Stegybot .

According to the support page for the ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME, the Kingston 64GB 2x (total 128GB) memory is not listed in the Qualified Vendor List (QVL).
Based on the description provided, it might be a problem related to compatibility between the CPU, overall hardware configuration, and memory.
We suggest install memory models recommended on the QVL list to ensure compatibility.

Thank you.

Stegybot
Level 7

Hello,

The memory I have on this computer is listed on the QVL

It's this one: KF556C40BBK2-64. I have 2 kit of these, 4 stick of 32gb

So it should work, the mainboard can accept max 128gb

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Stegybot 

Since the QVL list of the ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME does not include support for 32GBx4 memory configuration, please also refer to the purchasing and installation guide for more details on this matter:

Ensure that all memory modules are from the same validated memory kit. Do not mix DIMMs from different memory kits—even if they are the same brand and model (e.g., two DIMMs each from two different memory kits). Mixing and matching DIMMs can result in a failure to boot and compatibility issues. In particular, the stability of a system with mixed DIMMs cannot be guaranteed when XMP (Intel)/D.O.C.P (AMD)/EXPO (AMD)/AEMP/AEMPII is enabled. For example, enabling XMP (Intel)/D.O.C.P (AMD)/EXPO (AMD)/AEMP/AEMPII to speeds above DDR5 4800MHz or above DDR4 3200MHz could result in an unstable system.

Jiaszzz_ROG_1-1684848578673.png

Therefore, we recommend that you try to install a memory in the recommended DIMM_A2 slot, or install two memory modules from the same kit in the DIMM_A2 and B2 slots, and retest.

Thank you.