cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbolt stopped working after latest Motherboard BIOS update (2204)

raugam111
Level 9
Hello everyone.

I have an ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WIFI D4 motherboard and an ASUS ThunderboltEX 4 connected to it on the last PCIe slot.

I am running Windows 11 and use this device for music production which is my work (I require thunderbolt for my studio).

My build had been working perfectly fine with thunderbolt when I had BIOS version 1304. I did however have a different issue at the time where my machine would not post if I set any XMP (I or II) on. I was working with the BIOS load defaults and had to work with my RAM at 2666MHz despite it having a capacity of 4000MHz.

I noticed I was very behind on the BIOS updates so I thought perhaps this XMP issue would be fixed if I did the update. I updated to the latest BIOS version 2204 and it fixed the XMP problem. However, thunderbolt functionality completely stopped - which is even worse because now I can't really work. And for the record, I updated Intel ME before updating the BIOS.

Under "Device Manager" I see "Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1137" has a yellow triangle on it and when I see it's properties it shows an error message saying "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)". Also, if I go to the Thunderbolt Control Center app and click on "About" it shows the correct application version but the "controller driver version" has a weird "N/A". No devices get recognized when connecting via thunderbolt. I can tell it is passing electricity since my CalDigit thunderbolt hub's led lights up when connected but Windows does not recognize the device and it does not work. No thunderbolt devices work with different cables and everything so the the issue is clearly related to whatever changed in thunderbolt when updating the BIOS.

I tried looking for more info on the "Event Viewer" but all I see is an Error stating the device "had a problem starting" with problem status 0xC00000E5. Which after doing some research does not really help me pin down a solution.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the thunderbolt drivers and thunderbolt control center, updated all other drivers, completed all Windows updates and optional updates, removed the ThunderboltEX from the PCIe slot and then placed it back in... but it made no difference. Finally, I found that ThunderboltEX 4 had a TB & PD firmware update I could try. I followed the instructions and when launching the Shell.efi from BIOS I got a weird message for "Thunderbolt Nvm" which says "No support update ,Please check Thunderbolt installed correctly and try again, or contact Asus customer service". For the "Cypress PD" part of the firmware update, it completed with no issues and is now version 129. I don't understand why it does not want to update the firmware of TB though and I don't understand what it means by "No support update".

I wish I could easily just go back to BIOS 1304 so I can have thunderbolt back but I'm scared to try since after BIOS version 2004 there are notes stating that rolling back to earlier versions is not supported. My only hope right now is that rolling back to BIOS 2103 or 2004 will resolve this. I'll report on that here but I was hoping someone had any ideas on what I can do to fix this. I really can't reinstall a fresh Windows OS since that would delete all my studio settings, configurations, plugins, programs which took years of putting together.
54 REPLIES 54

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, raugam111.

The user Hackej is using a different motherboard model, the ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI.
Also, since you upgraded the Intel Management Engine, it is unable to downgrade the BIOS at this time.

Thank you.

I understand that the user Hackej is using a different motherboard model but they were facing a near identical issue. The user Hackej also stated they had updated the Intel Management Engine to the same version (16.1.25.2020) before updating. They were provided with a solution of a customize (bridge) BIOS version for their motherboard. I was hoping I could be provided with a customized (bridge) BIOS version for my motherboard model. Would that not be possible?

Hello Jiaszzz_ROG

I understand that the user Hackej is using a different motherboard model but that should not make a difference since ASUS was able to generate this customized bridge BIOS version for this user. ASUS should be able to do the same for the ROG Strix Z90-A Gaming WIFI D4. Would there be any specific technical reason this would not be possible on the ROG Strix Z90-A Gaming WIFI D4 as opposed to the ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI?

A new customized BIOS version that accommodates the Intel Management Engine but reflects the profile of an earlier BIOS was created in the case of Hackej. This resolved their issue. They had also upgraded Intel Management Engine. It was also a Z690 motherboard. I would like to understand how it would not be possible with another similar motherboard.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, raugam111.

The pertinent department is still verifying as of right now. I'm sorry for making you wait.
Once there is any progress update, I will reply to you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, raugam111.

The pertinent department is still verifying as of right now. I'm sorry for making you wait.
Once there is any progress update, I will reply to you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Hello Jiaszzz@ROG,

I appreciate our help. Thank you. I will be waiting for your update.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, raugam111.

Please try to manually load the IRST driver for the Raid controller in the device manager (please download it from the official website) and then restart it,
and check whether the exclamation mark of Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1137 in the device manager disappears and whether the thunderbolt device can be identified.
At the same time, after updating to BIOS 2204, is Thunderbolt enabled again in the BIOS?

Once you have completed the above two settings, please confirm the following questions:
1. Is the Thunderbolt device still not recognized? If so, please provide the specific brand and model of the device that cannot be recognized.
2. Has the firmware version of the Thunderbolt EX 4 been updated? Please provide a screenshot of the current Thunderbolt firmware displayed in the Thunderbolt control center.

Thank you.

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, raugam111.

Please try to manually load the IRST driver for the Raid controller in the device manager (please download it from the official website) and then restart it,
and check whether the exclamation mark of Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1137 in the device manager disappears and whether the thunderbolt device can be identified.
At the same time, after updating to BIOS 2204, is Thunderbolt enabled again in the BIOS?

Once you have completed the above two settings, please confirm the following questions:
1. Is the Thunderbolt device still not recognized? If so, please provide the specific brand and model of the device that cannot be recognized.
2. Has the firmware version of the Thunderbolt EX 4 been updated? Please provide a screenshot of the current Thunderbolt firmware displayed in the Thunderbolt control center.

Thank you.

Hello Jiaszzz@ROG,

Thank you for getting back to me. I just followed your instructions. I downloaded and installed the latest IRST drivers directly from Intel. I restarted my PC and it made no difference. The exclamation mark on the Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1137 device in the Device Manager is still there and the ThunderboltEx 4 card is not recognized in the Thunderbolt Control Center still.

Yes, when updating to BIOS 2204, Thunderbolt is enabled. I just checked BIOS settings again and it is enabled. I have tried troubleshooting with multiple BIOS settings but the only solution that seems to be the one that would fix this is for me to roll back to a BIOS prior to 2004.

To answer your questions:
1. Yes, the Thunderbolt device is still not recognized. The ThunderboltEX 4 card is not recognized, no ports appear and the about shows "N/A". I have multiple Thunderbolt devices (which I use for my work in music) and they all do not work on this machine (work perfectly well on my Mac Laptop and also were working perfectly well in an earlier BIOS (1304) version on this PC. To give you a specific answer, I will include two of my thunderbolt devices in this response.
- Universal Audio Apollo Twin X: https://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/apollo-twin-x.html
- Caldigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub: https://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt-4-element-hub

2. Yes, ThunderboltEX 4 should be updated. I currently can't see the firmware version since Thunderbolt Control Center shows "N/A/" but I recall it was version 24 from when it was working on BIOS version 1304. As you can see in the pictures below, there are no ports showing up on Thunderbolt Control Center and it shows N/A in the about section.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, raugam111.

Thank you for confirming the details and specs.
However, not only should you install the IRST driver to load Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) in Device Manager, but also take the following steps:
1. After downloading and installing the driver, go to the Windows Device Manager and select Storage controllers.
2. Find the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) controller", usually labeled as "Intel(R) 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI/RAID Controller," then click on the IRST controller and select "update driver."
3. Choose "Browse my computer for driver software" to*select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" and select the IRST driver.
4. Wait for the driver to be installed, then restart your computer.

In addition to enabling Thunderbolt in the BIOS settings, do you also enable SR-IOV?

Meanwhile, please refer to the link below to execute Clear CMOS again:
>> https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1040820
After the completion, please enter the system again and go to Device Manager to check whether there are any devices with exclamation marks.

If the above steps still cannot solve the problem, please provide:
1. An video include the initial page in the Thunderbolt control center, Approve devices, Attached devices, Manage approved devices, and the About page.
2. Images of BIOS>Advanced>Thunderbolt Configuration page and Discrete Thunderbolt (TB) Configuration page

Thank you.

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, raugam111.

Thank you for confirming the details and specs.
However, not only should you install the IRST driver to load Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) in Device Manager, but also take the following steps:
1. After downloading and installing the driver, go to the Windows Device Manager and select Storage controllers.
2. Find the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) controller", usually labeled as "Intel(R) 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI/RAID Controller," then click on the IRST controller and select "update driver."
3. Choose "Browse my computer for driver software" to*select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" and select the IRST driver.
4. Wait for the driver to be installed, then restart your computer.

In addition to enabling Thunderbolt in the BIOS settings, do you also enable SR-IOV?

Meanwhile, please refer to the link below to execute Clear CMOS again:
>> https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1040820
After the completion, please enter the system again and go to Device Manager to check whether there are any devices with exclamation marks.

If the above steps still cannot solve the problem, please provide:
1. An video include the initial page in the Thunderbolt control center, Approve devices, Attached devices, Manage approved devices, and the About page.
2. Images of BIOS>Advanced>Thunderbolt Configuration page and Discrete Thunderbolt (TB) Configuration page

Thank you.

Hello Jiaszzz@ROG, thanks for the information and suggestions.

I have followed the instructions you have included and performed the IRST driver update directly through the Device Manager. After update and restart, the issue persists (exclamation mark still appears on the Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1137 device).

SR-IOV was disabled and I tried enabling and trying the troubleshooting steps with this (checking Thunderbolt devices, Thunderbolt Control Center, etc). But enabling or disabling SR-IOV made no difference (exclamation mark still appears on the Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1137 device and Thunderbolt Control Center still shows "N/A" in about section).

I have cleared CMOS multiple times and did it again after these steps. Made no difference and issue persists.

Here is the video requested:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/RI1d4H3ayT8

Images of the Thunderbolt BIOS settings:

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, raugam111.

According to the settings in your second image,
please change the Windows 10 Thunderbolt Support setting in the BIOS from Disable to Enable and reboot. 97836
If the problem still persists, please uninstall the Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1137 and the possible PCIe port driver with exclamation marks in the device manager and execute Windows Update to reinstall the drivers.

Thank you.

Jiaszzz@ROG wrote:
Hello, raugam111.

According to the settings in your second image,
please change the Windows 10 Thunderbolt Support setting in the BIOS from Disable to Enable and reboot. 97836
If the problem still persists, please uninstall the Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1137 and the possible PCIe port driver with exclamation marks in the device manager and execute Windows Update to reinstall the drivers.

Thank you.

Hello Jiaszzz@ROG,

I enabled the Windows 10 Thunderbolt Support setting in BIOS and after reboot the issue persisted.

I also uninstalled the Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1137 device in Device Manager and ran a Windows Update. This reinstalled the drivers as you mentioned. However, issue persists and the Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1137 device reappeared with the exclamation mark and Thunderbolt does not work.