cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING & ThunderboltEx4 issue

Tiercel
Level 7

I have installed a new ThunderboltEx4 in my Strix X670E-E motherboard but it is not detecting the thunderbolt dock that is connected to it.

The thunderbolt dock (Plugable TBT3-UDZ ) shows up fine when connected to a different PC so the problem seems to be the ThunderboltEx4.

The Thunderbolt Control Center shows PCIE tunneling to be Disabled. Is this the root problem or could it be something else?

I have attempted to update the ThunderboltEx4 to firmware 1.1, but when I select the 'Launch EFI Shell from USB drive' option in the BIOS I only get an error message that says "This app doesn't support this platform...". So I know it's trying to run the Shell.efi file on the USB stick but it doesn't seem to be compatible with this motherboard. 

Is there a way to see what the firmware version on the ThunderboltEx4 card is, to see whether an update is even required?

I also see zero Thunderbolt options in the Bios menus. Should there be any that I'm just missing?

ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING is on latest Bios 1101.

Win11 22H2 22621.1555

Thunderbolt driver  V1.41.1193.0

1 REPLY 1

vignessh
Level 8

You can find the Thunderbolt driver version & NVM firmware version listed in the About page within the Thunderbolt Control Center app.

Thunderbolt Control Center About pageThunderbolt Control Center About page

Given your motherboard supports Thunderbolt, there should be an option in the BIOS to further control the settings. I'm using a Z690-E motherboard and mine shows up under "Advanced" -> "Thunderbolt Configuration".

How did you attempt to update the NVM firmware? Just to recap this is what you need to do:

1. Download the latest firmware from the Thunderbolt EX4 support page.
  2. Extract the zip and copy the contents to a USB stick.
  3. Plug in the USB stick to the back of the motherboard where there is a separate USB slot for updating BIOS.
  4. Restart the system and go into the BIOS menu by holding Del or F2.
  5. Goto the last section in the menu and select "Launch EFI shell from USB drives"
  6. Follow the instructions shown on the screen.

Thanks