cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - Missing RAID Settings

asusmobos
Level 8

Hi,

I've built a new PC, setup a M2 RAID, which works fine after enabling VMD.

Today, I've transferred 2 x 4TB SATA drives that were setup in RAID from old ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE motherboard. However, Intel doesn't recognize the RAID, I can't setup RAID as all buttons are gray, same in BIOS, and there is no "SATA RAID MODE" setting in BIOS as per ASUS Manuals, it's missing, using latest bios from 3 31 2023, etc.

Yes, I can access one drive as another is hidden by Windows due to collision error.

I can't move data to another SSD and backup / recreate array as I don't have 4 TB spare HDD or USB anywhere.

What is my solution?

sm.png"

rss2.pngrss.pngsignal-2023-04-05-153846_003.jpgsignal-2023-04-05-153846_002.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

asusmobos
Level 8

EDIT! I Cannot believe it, I've changed SATA ports form the wrong (on the left) to the center ones and RAID SETTINGS appeared! Intel recognized RAID immediately! Yay! Since I did some changes on one HDD, I disconnected one HDD afterward, let intel discover that RAID is corrupt, plugged it in and now it's rebuilding the RAID, just for the sake of it 🙂 all solved. 

Thank you very much for your help, so I've received a response from ASUS too, and by the way, the solution is simple, to be fair, disconnect one HDD, let windows discover it, then just add second hdd and it will "recopy" content from one HDD to another, at least that's the idea. Also, adding support reply below in case someone else needs help in the future

- lease note that ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO can support RAID over the SATA3 ports, with some exceptions:

* Intel® Rapid Storage Technology supports PCIe RAID 0/1/5/10, SATA RAID 0/1/5/10.

**** RAID configuration and boot drives are not supported on the SATA6G_E1-2 ports

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z790-hero-model/spec/

So please ensure that the SATA3 drives are connected in the correct SATA ports first.

Also, if you have Enabled the RAID on another Intel Chipset, this array might not work due to a compatibility error. You will need to save your data first and then remake the RAID on the new Chipset.

----

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

asusmobos
Level 8

And I can't use old Intel Rapid Storage software either as it's not supported by the Windows 11 / Z790 platform.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @asusmobos .

After consulting with the relevant department, the established RAID cannot be transferred.
You must first back up the data to avoid loss, delete the RAID, and then recreate the RAID to complete the transfer.
Due to the large amount of data and to avoid loss, it is generally not recommended to transfer RAID.

Thank you.

asusmobos
Level 8

EDIT! I Cannot believe it, I've changed SATA ports form the wrong (on the left) to the center ones and RAID SETTINGS appeared! Intel recognized RAID immediately! Yay! Since I did some changes on one HDD, I disconnected one HDD afterward, let intel discover that RAID is corrupt, plugged it in and now it's rebuilding the RAID, just for the sake of it 🙂 all solved. 

Thank you very much for your help, so I've received a response from ASUS too, and by the way, the solution is simple, to be fair, disconnect one HDD, let windows discover it, then just add second hdd and it will "recopy" content from one HDD to another, at least that's the idea. Also, adding support reply below in case someone else needs help in the future

- lease note that ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO can support RAID over the SATA3 ports, with some exceptions:

* Intel® Rapid Storage Technology supports PCIe RAID 0/1/5/10, SATA RAID 0/1/5/10.

**** RAID configuration and boot drives are not supported on the SATA6G_E1-2 ports

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z790-hero-model/spec/

So please ensure that the SATA3 drives are connected in the correct SATA ports first.

Also, if you have Enabled the RAID on another Intel Chipset, this array might not work due to a compatibility error. You will need to save your data first and then remake the RAID on the new Chipset.

----