cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"USB Device over current status detected" with just a cable connected

gpetit
Level 8

Hello,

I have a brand new Asus ROG STRIX Z790 A GAMING WIFI motherboard that works fine, except if I plug any USB cable in any of the front-port USB. If I do it while the PC is running, the USB port works, but the minute I reboot I end up with a "USB Device over current status detected" error.

I contacted Asus and so far they suggested that I run the PC outside of the case in case there's a contact somewhere on the board. I tried and the issue is still there.

Have others encountered this? I see a couple of threads on the forums but could not find one what had a resolution...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @gpetit 

We recommend that you double-check the connection between your motherboard and the chassis to ensure there are no abnormalities.
Once you have completed the reconfiguration, please perform a clear CMOS and check if the error message still appears during the POST.
If there are any other error messages that appear, please provide us with the image for further confirmation.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @gpetit .

May I ask if reinstalling the USB device was able to solve the connecting problem when restarting the computer and showing "USB Device over current status detected"?
To further troubleshoot the issue and rule out any driver-related problems, please refer to  Troubleshooting - How to fix USB connection problems guide for assistance.
It provides steps to reinstall the USB Root Hub driver and USB Host Controller driver in the Device Manager.
Meanwhile, have you updated the Intel ME to the required version specified by the current BIOS?
For example, for the latest BIOS 1001 for the ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI, it requires updating the Intel ME to fw version 16.1.25.2124.

Thank you.

gpetit
Level 8

Hi @Jiaszzz_ROG thank you for responding!

The issue is only on the bios POST. In Windows, the USB devices connect fine.As for the Intel ME, I can confirm that I am using 16.1.25.2124 which is the latest available right now. Let me know if you can think of any other troubleshooting steps.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @gpetit .

Could you share an image of the "USB Device over current status detected" error message that appears during POST?
Based on your current description, it might be related to the front-panel USB ports.
We suggest checking between the case and motherboard to ensure they are properly connected. 
If the error does not affect your actual usage, we recommend continuing to use the system and monitoring the situation.

Thank you.

Hi @Jiaszzz_ROG 

Thank you again for your response. I am attaching a picture of the screen, I hope it helps. I made a bit of progress in my troubleshooting and found the following:

- When I restart the PC with a USB cable plugged, the "USB Device over Current Status Detected !!" error happens all the time.
- When I shutdown the PC and then boot it from halt, the "USB Device over Current Status Detected !!" error does not happen.IMG_0039.jpg

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @gpetit 

Thank you for providing the image and further explanation.
Regarding the USB devices you have connected, are they as shown in the picture: 3 keyboards, 1 mouse, and 6 USB hubs?
If you remove all USB devices and only connect a keyboard and mouse to the rear USB ports, will you still encounter the same prompt when restarting the computer? When the prompt appears and the countdown reaches 15 seconds and the computer shuts down, are you able to start the computer normally afterward?
Additionally, have you checked if the chassis is properly connected to the motherboard?

Thank you.

Hi @Jiaszzz_ROG !

No, in the context of the picture I posted above, the only thing connected to the front panel was a USB cable (which was not connected to any device). The USB devices listed (3 keyboards, 1 mouse and 6 hubs) are all connected to the back panel.

After the 15 seconds, the PC shuts down and I am able to start it normally without the error. Strange isn't it?

I have disconnected and reconnected the front panel cables several time already. I have also removed the motherboard from the case to test outside of the case with the same results.

Let me know if you can think of something else to test!

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @gpetit 

Thank you for the prompt reply.
May I inquire if your keyboard and mouse devices are connected through a USB hub?
Please try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Remove all USB devices, including the front panel, and connect only the keyboard and mouse directly to the rear USB ports.
- Connect only the keyboard and mouse directly to the front panel.

Thank you.

Hi  @Jiaszzz_ROG,

Thank you for your continued support! I have tested both of your suggestions and they yielded no difference. On restart, when a USB cable is plugged in on the front USB panel (even when no actual device is attached to the cable), I have a "Device Over Current Status Detected !!" error. On a cold start, I don't have the error.

I pushed the test farther: here ia screen capture of me restarting the PC with _no_ USB device attached whatsoever (front or back) except for a cable not connected to any device in the USB-C front panel. You can see the BIOS detected 0 Drive, 0 Keyboard, 0 Mouse and 3 Hubs (I assume these are internal). As you can see, it still resulted in the "USB Device Over Current Status Detected !!" error (in addition to the "NO Keyboard Detected!" error).

I am out of ideas at this point. This makes the font USB connected very inconvenient to use.overcurrent_no_usb.jpg

Le_Dude_Niginz
Level 8

Hello @gpetit & @Jiaszzz_ROG 

I have the same motherboard as @gpetit and I am also experiencing this problem myself. My BIOS and Intel ME are all fully up to date with the latest version. I have everything plugged into the back of my motherboard, this includes my Keyboard, Mouse and now USB Type-C Headset. Yesterday I started using the front IOs with my Headset and I restarted my computer to do an update and this occurred. Like @gpetit said also, it doesn't occur during shut down and turning on again, only happens during restart and when at least one USB is connected to the front IO. 

If you are just using the motherboard USB ports, this issue doesn't occur and same with during the PC is on, all USB ports work fine just you can't leave your headset plugged in for example if you were going to restart your computer at some point. Therefore, I am wondering, is this a software issue rather than hardware? As all my USB ports in the front IO seems fine, all my motherboard USB ports are fine also? 

Just hoping to get a solution eventually, thank you very much for listening!

Thank you.