cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Z690 Hero Mobo not detecting nVME SSD as bootable drive

Erumiran
Level 7

Hello,

I recently upgraded my PC with all new Mobo and CPU (RAM, Cooling and PSU too, but these aren't part of the issue) 

Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero Eva Edition

CPU: Intel 13900K

Everything works fine with the current setup (BIOS is updated to latest version, because this board supports Gen 12 out of the box), however, I am trying to install Windows 10 to a 2TB Seagate Firecuda nVME M.2 SSD, because the existing Kingston SSD is 120GB and full from all the updates.

The mobo detects the Firecuda, but when I go through the first installation phase (installing off USB) and then on resetting to continue installation/configuration, the PC goes into an installation cycle, returning to the first step, because it doesn't list the Firecuda as a bootable drive.

I have searched as extensively as possible for a solution, such as enabling CSM, at which point the Firecuda is listed as a bootable drive and is first priority in the list, but the PC still continues into the installation cycle...if the USB is removed, it just boots to BIOS.

I have the Firecuda installed in the M2_1 slot, and as far as I can see in the manual, there's no guidance on which slot is preferred.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, and if you need further information, I will provide it as soon as I can.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Erumiran .

May I ask if you are currently experiencing a situation where you are unable to complete the installation of Windows 10 and it keeps returning to the first step?
Have you progressed to the step of connecting to the network and setting up the user, or is there a particular step with which you are unable to proceed?
Is the USB you are using fully formatted? Is the file system set to FAT32?
Please ensure that the USB does not contain any other storage data and refer to [Windows 11/10] How to convert the USB flash drive format to FAT32 if needed.
If possible, we recommend cross-testing with other M.2_2 or M.2_3 slots or trying a different USB/SSD for Windows installation.

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

Hi! Thanks for trying to help!

It's exactly what you described - the process installs Windows, the system reboots, but returns to the intial installation step.

It does not conmect to the network and proceed with system setup.

The USB is clean and was formatted before using as an installation device using the Windows Installation Media Tool.

As described, the nVME M.2 SSD is detectable as bootable media when it's formatted and before installtion, however after the initial installation when it reboots, it is not detected as bootable media.