Level 8

Hello!
I have
Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero
BIOS 1701
i7-11700k
Two videocards Nvidia GTX 980Ti in SLI
NVME SSD Samsung 980pro

When installing two video cards, the NVME SSD is no longer detected. I checked sockets M.2_1 M.2_2 and M.2_3. SSD is not detected in any of them and the system does not boot. In the BIOS section
Advanced\NVMe controller and Drive information
No NVME Device Found
At the same time, in the section
Advanced\System Agent (SA) Configuration\PCI Express Configuration
you can see that the SSD is connected
M.2_1x4
PCIEX16_1x8
PCIEX16_2x8

230416101208.jpg

230416101151.jpg

I began to understand and found out that when switching Launch CSM - Disabled, SSD appears in the Advanced\NVMe controller and Drive information section.
when switching Launch CSM Enabled SSD is not detected. If I leave only one video card, then the SSD is determined

My SSD has an MBR structure, is divided into several partitions and has several OS installed, so I cannot disable CSM
Can I somehow configure it so that two video cards and an NVME SSD work with Launch CSM Enabled?

P.S. I used Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero WiFi and i7-9700k before - everything worked
I upgraded on Maximus XIII Hero and i7-11700k and it stopped working ☹️

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @sisadmin_Glukin .

After consulting with the relevant department and verification, we recommend adjusting the settings in the following path of the BIOS:
Advanced\Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration\Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration\DTBT Controller 0 Configuration\Reserved Memory: set it to 512.
Please make the adjustments and then check if the issue can be resolved.

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Based on your image, when the M.2_1 link speed is set to auto, the Advanced NVMe controller and drive information show "No NVME Device Found."
Please insert the Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD into the M.2_3 slot and set it to auto to confirm.
Additionally, is it possible to detect this SSD within the system?

Thank you.

I tested 980 pro in different slots
M.2_1 and link speed Auto, gen4, 3, 2, 1 - No NVME Device Found
M.2_2 and Advaced > Onboard device configuration PCIEX16_1+PCIEX16_2+M.2_2 mode - No NVME Device Found
M.2_3 - No NVME Device Found
M.2_4 I not tested because "When M.2_4 is populated, SATA6G_56 will be disabled". I need all SATA connectors to work

On your advice, I booted OS from an old SATA SSD. In OS 980pro was defined and partitions are visible.

But I need to boot from NVME SSD. I can't do this because my 980pro is not detected in the bios

Murph_9000
Level 14

@sisadmin_Glukin wrote:

My SSD has an MBR structure, is divided into several partitions and has several OS installed, so I cannot disable CSM

If this is boiling down to a MBR vs GPT issue, you should be able to setup a multi-boot config with GPT.  As far as I know, GRUB should cope with GPT just fine, for example.

I think it's a bug in the BIOS. How can I contact the developers so that they can check and fix a bug in the new firmware? Do developers and programmers from Asus read this forum?

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

May I ask if you have Launch CSM, as in [Motherboard] Troubleshooting - Cannot find the hard disk drive or SSD(M.2) after motherboard power... ?
If you still cannot boot from an NVME SSD after enabling CSM, please provide the image of BIOS>Advanced Mode>Boot>CSM.

Thank you.

Launch CSM EnabledLaunch CSM EnabledEZ mode NVME not detectEZ mode NVME not detect

I use Launch CSM - Enabled. In EZ mode NVME also not deteced

If I leave only one videocard and "Launch CSM - Enabled", then NVME SSD is detected
If I "Launch CSM - Disabled" with two vidocards - NVME SSD is detected
If I "Launch CSM - Enabled" with two vidocards - No NVME Device Found
I need use NVME and two vidocards and "Launch CSM - Enabled"

I used before Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero WiFi and i7-9700k and 980pro and two GTX 980Ti and "Launch CSM - Enabled" - all worked exelent.

Can you set those 3 "Boot from …" options to "UEFI and Legacy", rather than "Legacy only"?

Also, you say the NVMe is detected if you disable CSM with 2 cards.  Will the system boot like that?  Why do you need to have CSM enabled, if the drive is showing up with it disabled?  Never mind, I forgot you have a multi-boot MBR drive.  I do think you should seriously consider converting to GPT, but that's just my opinion.

I try Boot Device Control options "UEFI and Legacy" and "Legacy only". NVME not detect.
If booting OS from mbr SATA disk, I can see partitions and data on NVME 980pro. I think since NVME is not visible only in BIOS it is a bug in the motherboard firmware.