cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B550-A Gaming, ThunderboltEX4, Windows 10

WillyZonka69
Level 8

Hello Everyone,
For the last 10 days, I have been struggling to get the ThunderboltEX 4 Card to communicate properly with my system. This is what I am running:

Windows 10
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A Gaming motherboard
Ryzen 9 5900X Processor
Asus ThunderboltEX 4 Thunderbolt Adapter Card
Corsair Vengance 32GB DDR4 3200
Nvidia 3090 Ti FE GPU 

I was able to successfuly get the Thunderbolt Card to appear in Device Manager and show its location in the PCI slot, But I am unable to enable PCIE Tunneling or Update the NVM Firmware of the card. I initally thought I was having issues with my Thunderbolt Device that I was plugging into the card, becuase it would appear in TB Control but would not let me approve it. But view the thread here: https://uadforum.com/community/index.php?threads/apollo-twin-x-thunderbold-on-amd-ryzen-system.64541...

On the UA forum that has helped me come to the conclusion that it is my motherboard. 

I am in need of great help as I am not the smartest with the BIOS and Software components, so any advice would be appreciated. I have included photos of what I am experiencing with my BIOS, Device manager, and Control App.

BIOS Version 3002
Other BIOS Settings set to Optomized Defaults. 
Thunderbolt Security set to User Authorization not None.

IMG_6622.jpeg

DeviceManagePic.JPG

Attempted with Fresh BIOS Flash and Unistalled TB App and Drivers/Toast as well. Neither worked.

IMG_6627.jpeg

 I appreciate any help!

 Thank you,

Willy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Heya, so I have the exact same issue as you (but with a ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS board, and a CalDigit TS3+ thunderbolt dock); I just played around with some UEFI settings, and while I didn't find the setting that controls "PCIe tunneling" yet, I did find how to update the NVM firmware: You have set "Titan Ridge" as the host chipset. That's a version 3 chipset, and the ThunderboltEX4 seems to require "Maple Ridge" set. Once I updated that value, I could run the NVM updater and it did update the controller firmware.

After the update finished, the thunderbolt control center reported that PCIe Tunneling is enabled, and my CalDigit TS3+ dock works without issue.

Thanks so much for gathering all that info, and for going down all the paths that didn't work! I hope with this little tweak, it'll work for you too!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @WillyZonka69 

According to your description of the current usage scenario, the ThunderboltEX4 can be detected in the Device Manager and recognized in the PCIe slot in the BIOS.
The purpose of enabling PCIE tunneling is to allow users to connect devices and transfer data through non-traditional PCIe ports in specific situations.
May I ask what specific reason prompted you to make this setting?
I apologize, but I cannot log in to the external forum link you provided to access more detailed information.
Therefore, I would appreciate your assistance in confirming the following questions:
- In which slot is your current Thunderbolt EX4 card installed?
Have you tried changing slots to see if it makes a difference?
-What is the current BIOS version you are using? Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
-Have you updated the Thunderbolt EX4 with the TB & PD Firmware Update to Version 1.1?
Is the Intel Thunderbolt Driver or Driver Package updated to the latest version corresponding to your system?
-Where did you download the NVM firmware from? What is the version of the firmware?

Thank you.

Hello, @Jiaszzz_ROG 

Thank you for your reply. The reason I am attempting to enable PCIE tunneling is for a Thunderbolt Audio Interface, the UA Apollo Twin X. I have answered your following questions as best as I can.

- It is Installed in the second 16x slot. The recommended slot according to the Compatible Cards manual on the ThunderboltEX4 Manuals & Drivers page. 

I do not have another slot to try. 

— BIOS 3002 on B550-A Gaming motherboard 

-Have you updated the Thunderbolt EX4 with the TB & PD Firmware Update to Version 1.1?

I am not sure what this means I apologize 
Edit: Upon Further Inspection, this is what I am having issue with, I cannot update this in the BIOS. It s shows the error pictured above where the NVM is not supported to update. I am not sure how this could be.

-Is the Intel Thunderbolt Driver or Driver Package updated to the latest version corresponding to your system?

I believe so, but assistance or directions for a proper install/update would be appreciated. 

-Where did you download the NVM firmware from? What is the version of the firmware?

The firmware came from the Driver Downloads on the ThunderboltEX4 ASUS page.

Let me know if I can provide anymore info. Thank you again!

WillyZonka69_0-1686897586662.png

WillyZonka69
Level 8

Since I have first posted, I have attempted to Rollback all of the TB compatable BIOS in an attempt to find one that would allow the update with no success. The card is communicationg properly with my Device Manager, but the BIOS does not allow the NVM Firmwate to be updated. It states "Cypress PD is Newer, NVM Firmware unable to update." Across all BIOS options available.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @WillyZonka69 

Due to the ongoing local holidays in our area, our response time may be slower.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused by delayed replies.
Have you tried setting the "PCIEx16_2 Link Speed" to [Gen3] in the BIOS > Advanced mode > Advanced settings?

Edit: Upon Further Inspection, this is what I am having issue with, I cannot update this in the BIOS. It s shows the error pictured above where the NVM is not supported to update. I am not sure how this could be.
>> Have you followed the steps outlined in the "ReadMe" note in the updating file?
If you are still experiencing difficulties with the update, please provide information on which specific step you are encountering the problem and kindly provide the following details:
- the images of the setting in BIOS, the OS version, and the OS build
- the brand and model name of the CPU, GPU, DRAM, and PSU currently installed
- the brand and model names of all the devices that connect to the ThunderboltEX 4
- contains a video that completely captures the problem's incidence and the surrounding environment

Thank you.

No Worries @Jiaszzz_ROG 
I hope you all have been enjoying your holidays!

- the brand and model name of the CPU, GPU, DRAM, and PSU currently installed
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-core, 24-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
Nvidia 3090 Ti Founders Edition 
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V Desktop Memory
ASUS ROG STRIX 1000W Gold PSU, Power Supply
- the brand and model names of all the devices that connect to the ThunderboltEX 4
Universal Audio: Apollo Twin X Thunderbolt 3
- contains a video that completely captures the problem's incidence and the surrounding environment
(It would not let me directly upload)
This Video is a video of an NVM updare with the Shell.efi following the instructions of the ReadME: 
Bios Video Drive Link 

This video is of the issue in its current state: TB Software & Device Manager 

Assorted Photos:

WillyZonka69_0-1687657750622.png

WillyZonka69_2-1687657813521.png

WillyZonka69_3-1687657860666.png

WillyZonka69_4-1687657892729.png

WillyZonka69_1-1687657783822.png

WillyZonka69_5-1687658307499.png

WillyZonka69_6-1687658328921.png

WillyZonka69_7-1687658370603.png

I also cannot find PCIE Tunneling if that is even an option in this BIOS

Heya, so I have the exact same issue as you (but with a ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS board, and a CalDigit TS3+ thunderbolt dock); I just played around with some UEFI settings, and while I didn't find the setting that controls "PCIe tunneling" yet, I did find how to update the NVM firmware: You have set "Titan Ridge" as the host chipset. That's a version 3 chipset, and the ThunderboltEX4 seems to require "Maple Ridge" set. Once I updated that value, I could run the NVM updater and it did update the controller firmware.

After the update finished, the thunderbolt control center reported that PCIe Tunneling is enabled, and my CalDigit TS3+ dock works without issue.

Thanks so much for gathering all that info, and for going down all the paths that didn't work! I hope with this little tweak, it'll work for you too!

Hello @antifuchs!

THANK YOU. You have saved my life. The update is working properly with the Maple Ridge set as we speak. Thank you so much again. I hope that this will finally allow me to connect my Apollo properly!

As well as thank you @Jiaszzz_ROG for your assistance with this as well. Without you guys I would still be suffering. 

Did you get it working? I am using similar hardware and got mine to recognize it, but whenever my apollo is connected my pc runs slow and the audio glitches and repeats.

B550-a gaming

Amd 5950x

32gb viber ddr4 3200

Samsung m. 2 1tb

Gtx 3070

Apollo solo heritage thunderbolt