cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI not delivering 4.0 x16 to GPU

dannilicious
Level 7

Hi,

I have an ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI board with a 7950X3D and an ASUS ROG STRIX 4090 OC and it won’t give me 4.0 x16 on the PCI-E slot. It stays at x8.

I have two disks in M.2_1 and M.2_3 and these shouldn’t limit the GPU when placed like this.

I have also tried moving the disks around and tested one disk etc. Latest BIOS and checked settings with no luck. All drivers are the latest.

I’ve seen other ASUS boards with the same issue that has had this fixed with a new BIOS. So I’m wondering if there is an issue with my board or if the GPU/Motherboard is defective.

Anyone with clues on what I should do next? Is there a BIOS in the works to amend this or should I just RMA the motherboard/GPU?

10 REPLIES 10

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @dannilicious .

May I ask if the GPU speed running at x8 instead of x16 happened after any changes were made? For example, updating the BIOS or connecting an external device
Are you installing the GPU in the PCIe 5.0 x16_1 slot or the PCIe 4.0 x16_2 slot? Have you tried cross-testing with other slots? Are you using a display port adapter?

Please first reinstall the graphics card, ensuring that the gold contacts on the card and the PCIe port are not damaged or dirty.
If the issue persists after reinstallting and clearing CMOS, please assist in confirming the following questions:
- the current BIOS version and the images of the setting in BIOS
- the brand, model name, and part number of the DRAM and PSU currently installed
- the OS version and OS build

Thank you.

Hello!

I’ve cleared CMOS and checked the GPU/PCI-E port and reinstalled the GPU, it looks fine and no difference.

BIOS was 1616 when writing this but I’ve also tested 1618. The PSU is: 

Corsair RMe 1000e 1000W PSU

I’ve also tested setting all settings on PCI-E Linkspeed to auto with no difference.

See below screenshots for the requested information:

IMG_7414.jpeg

IMG_7415.jpeg

IMG_7416.jpeg

IMG_7417.jpeg

IMG_7418.jpeg

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @dannilicious .

May I ask if the GPU speed running at x8 instead of x16 happened after any changes were made?
Are you installing the GPU in the PCIe 4.0 x16_2 slot?
Have you cross-tested with the PCIe 5.0 x16_1 slot when setting it to [GEN 4]?
If only the CPU, GPU, and memory are installed, will the BIOS display the correct x16 configuration?
If possible, please also cross-test with other motherboards or other GPUs.

Thank you.

Hi, 

This is a brand new machine, only a month old and it’s only been running at x8 from the start.

The GPU is in the PCIe 5.0 x16_1 slot and I’ve tested all different settings and combinations in BIOS, putting it to Auto, Gen4 etc.

I have not used the PCI-e 16_2 slot at all.

I have tested with memory, GPU and CPU only and it’s no difference there.

I have not been able to test with another motherboard as the previous parts I have are simply too old.

Both the GPU and MB is ASUS so I’m not sure how to proceed if something is in fact defective. I was just hoping this was a known issue and that a new BIOS would fix this like with other X670E motherboards you have.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @dannilicious 

May I kindly ask for the brand, model, and capacity of the two hard drives you are using?
Currently, the relevant department is conducting further investigation on your case.
I will update you here as soon as there is a response.
If you have any new findings, please let us know, such as error messages or software testing results.

Thank you.

Hello!

Thanks for investigating this, the two drives I’m using is the following:

2xKingston FURY Renegade PCIe M.2 NVME SSD 2TB

Manufacturer part number is SFYRD/2000G

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @dannilicious 

May I ask if you have tested another PCIe slot as of today?
If possible, please assist us in testing the PCIe 4.0 x16_2 slot to confirm if the ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4090 OC Edition 24GB GDDR6X can operate at x16 speed.

Thank you.

Hello,

I’ve been moving this week so I’ll try to update you with a result this weekend.

Thank so far!

 Hi again,

Unfortunately I cannot test the second x16 slot as the 4090 is too large to fit.

See attached picture:

IMG_7563.jpeg