cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero stuck at D6 error and VGA + Boot LEDs are solid on with no display

majid85
Level 7

I've built a new Gaming PC with the following specs:

==========================================================================

CPU: i9-13900K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero
Memory: Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB (2X32GB) 5600MT/s kit (KF556C40BBSK2-64)
Storage: SABRANT Rocket 4 Plus-G 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD (SB-RKTG-2TB)

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix NVIDIA GeForce RTC 3090 Gaming - PCIe 4.0, 24GB OC

AIO: NZXT Kraken Z73 RGB 360mm
PSU: ASUS Thor 1000 Platimun II
============================================================================

When I tried to give it the first run, the MB showed "d6" error code with VGA and Boot lights solid on and no display on my monitor.

20230525_111821.jpg

I searched the internet about this 'd6' problem and most of the answers are related to GPU compatibility which I have no problem with as mine is compatible when I double-checked it on partpicker.com but

So, I removed the GPU and tried to rerun it on MB built-in HDMI, but no luck. I was still stuck on "d6" with no display.

I checked all the PSU cables and reconnect them again to the MB and changed the HDMI cable with a new one, still stuck on "d6".

I tried to clear the CMOS from the Clear CMOS back button since there is no display on my monitor, and it didn't work either.

I reseated the CPU twice making sure that I have no bent pins, of course, I used a magnifier, still stuck on "d6" and no display.

I reseated the RAM and I tested both sticks individually to check if one of the RAM sticks is faulty and may cause this issue, but same results, stuck on "d6" with no display on the monitor.

I also tried to reseat the SSD on a different M.2 slot, still stuck on "d6" with no display.

I'm so frustrated with the MB and I think I'll return back despite for waiting it to arrive to my home country for a whole month ☹️

If anyone has any idea how to solve this problem, please help me as I don't want to order another MB and wait for another month to get it.

I appreciate all the suggestions you may have for me. 🙏

Thank y'all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

siposnorbert71
Level 10

yes, I also think the bios is the problem! remember to rename the bios file before using the flashback port

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPyElZcsW6o

View solution in original post

The simplest way to update the BIOS through USB device without entering the operating system. You can use USB BIOS Flashback™ function when computer is unable to start. For more information, please visit the FAQ How to use USB BIOS Flashback™? https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/ #ASUS #ROG ...
5 REPLIES 5

siposnorbert71
Level 10

I think the problem is that it doesn't have the latest bios for the 13900k

majid85
Level 7

I don't know.
is there any way to update the BIOS in this case? without using a monitor?

JohnAb
Level 17

Yes, you can use the flashback port. Take a look at the manual or find a Youtube guide. If it's the BIOS, the latest version should get you up and running. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

siposnorbert71
Level 10

yes, I also think the bios is the problem! remember to rename the bios file before using the flashback port

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPyElZcsW6o

The simplest way to update the BIOS through USB device without entering the operating system. You can use USB BIOS Flashback™ function when computer is unable to start. For more information, please visit the FAQ How to use USB BIOS Flashback™? https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/ #ASUS #ROG ...

majid85
Level 7

Thank you, guys, for the help!

I updated the BIOS as shown in the Youtube video and it WORKED 😍
Much appreciated for the help 🙏