cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG42UQ very slow to wake from sleep.

axiumone
Level 11
Firmware is V031. With either a win 11 pc connected through HDMI or a macbook connected through DP, it takes an average of 30 seconds for the display to wake up and start responding if the host machine puts the display to sleep. To be clear, the OS itself is running, and the machine is not in a sleep state, just the display is in a sleep state.

Is there anything that can be done about this? It's a pretty terrible user experience, because it feels like maybe the machine froze or crashed and it's not clear that it's just the display thats not responding.
76 REPLIES 76

axiumone
Level 11
On 31, my display has issues waking up at 120hz with no overclock. So the option is, to roll back to 28? Great job asus.

axiumone wrote:
On 31, my display has issues waking up at 120hz with no overclock. So the option is, to roll back to 28? Great job asus.

My update to ASUS support today:
Some updates on the status of V031 firmware:
- Black screen after boot is still present on Display Port even with 120Hz selected over 138Hz. Around 30 seconds. With HDR enabled even longer.
- Black screen after boot is still present on HDMI 2.1even with 120Hz selected over 138Hz. Around 15 seconds. Sometimes it will display ASUS logo on boot.
- Screen resets mode on ASUS TUF-RTX3080TI-O12G-GAMING both on HDMI 2.1 and DP1.4 - Easiest way to reproduce is with GPU Tweak III - swap between Default, OC and SILENT mode. On HDMI the port will say HDMI/TV - on DP it will say Display Port PC display. And the resolution switches from 4K on PC to 1080p, 1024x999 - UltraHD, HD, SD in the Nvidia display. To fix one needs to reset reolution and multi display settings to the desired to configuration.
- There is occassional flicker in the screen, but not sure this is when is HDR vs non-HDR still checking..

I use a couple of different computers with with my 3 display setup - an ASUS based i9-11900K rig, an 2019 16" MacBook Pro and a MacStudio M1 Max.
All 3 have some different challenges. The MBP occasionally dies with watchdogd/windowserver problems but I think this is more MacOS being crap atm vs anything else.

For the Windows machine the issues seems to have increased slightly on 22H2 - but this is not proven other than black screen on reboot are more frequent and longer now. The windows machine is running with Rebar support on.

axiumone
Level 11
The firmware page says that after v032 was recalled, that new firmware to address all of these issues will come out middle of November. It's the middle of November. Where is the firmware asus?

axiumone
Level 11
We're now firmly in the second half of November. Where is the firmware?

axiumone wrote:
We're now firmly in the second half of November. Where is the firmware?

Asus would rather you forget about this whole thing and buy their next monitor, sure to have this setting in it. They ditched me too with the XG279Q, when they know we can have so many problems solved if they just update the firmware to provide this deep sleep option. It's making me very strongly avoid them in the future. I see the same terrible support with motherboards too where they stop updating the bios within a year. It's terrible.

axiumone
Level 11
Where is the firmware, asus?

axiumone wrote:
Where is the firmware, asus?

Seems it got released today:

Version V033
2022/11/28 2.72 MBytes
1.Optimized firmware update tool.
2.Optimizing ConsoleHDR.
3.Improve the power indicator issue.

arnvid wrote:
Seems it got released today:

Version V033
2022/11/28 2.72 MBytes
1.Optimized firmware update tool.
2.Optimizing ConsoleHDR.
3.Improve the power indicator issue.

Thanks for calling it out!

axiumone
Level 11
Cautiously optimistic. The monitor on v033 woke up fine from being in deep sleep for 8 hours. Hopefully it remains this way.

axiumone
Level 11