cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG42UQ strange problems black screen/freeze screen randomly

tuanny87
Level 7
on firmware .31 got random black screen in the middle of game will not turn back on until i unplug power and replug. also had a random screen freeze in the middle of a game. and could not turn off or anything until i unpled. this all happen on overlock off @ 120 mhz since 138 mhz would not even wake up the screen sometimes when it goes to sleep.
also my rog logo randomly turned green looked in the manual but didnt see anything anout green logo not sure what does that mean?
hope they fix all these problem on the next firmware update or will have to return this monitor.
142 REPLIES 142

CuRSeDGaMInG
Level 9
tuanny87 wrote:
on firmware .31 got random black screen in the middle of game will not turn back on until i unplug power and replug. also had a random screen freeze in the middle of a game. and could not turn off or anything until i unpled. this all happen on overlock off @ 120 mhz since 138 mhz would not even wake up the screen sometimes when it goes to sleep.
also my rog logo randomly turned green looked in the manual but didnt see anything anout green logo not sure what does that mean?
hope they fix all these problem on the next firmware update or will have to return this monitor.

I have the same Problem but I didn´t have to unplug it, I just waited and the screen "rebooted" itself and the picture came back on after a while, 60s or so.
i´m currantly on Firmware V025.

I'm getting exactly the same thing. Firmware V33.

I have the same problem with the PG48UQ.
Firmware V025

JeffCraig
Level 7
I'm having this issue with my PG48UQ as well.

I had a PG42UQ for a few weeks before I swapped to the PG48UQ. The 42 would go black for a few seconds and then come back, but the PG48UQ will just go black and stay that way until I do something. Right now I'm just going into display settings and setting the computer to only have one monitor (my secondary monitor), then extending back to both monitors. It will come back online after that.

I paid way too much money for this monitor to be dealing with these kinds of issues and it doesn't look like their chat support works. I was hoping to find a fix somewhere. I've tried several different DisplayPort cables and I'll probably try some HDMI ones now.

I've got the same issue. I end up unplugging the HDMI and plugging it back in.

I noticed this happens every 4-5 hours of continuous runtime.

This is a firmware issue. The monitor is forcing pixel cleaning on you. It happens after 4 hours of continuous runtime. If you wait 6 minutes (After its pixel cleaning is done) you're able to turn the monitor off and on again using the remote - or you can replug the HDMI/DP cable without waiting, this works as well without pulling the power plug, but it might be harmful as you shouldn't disrupt the pixel cleaning according to manual. I have this daily once or twice with a new PG48UQ.

ASUS needs to acknowledege this and work on a firmware update and at least announce here that it will be fixed soon. I would really like to avoid returning the monitor over a firmware issue that could easily be fixed.

noother_ wrote:
This is a firmware issue. The monitor is forcing pixel cleaning on you. It happens after 4 hours of continuous runtime. If you wait 6 minutes (After its pixel cleaning is done) you're able to turn the monitor off and on again using the remote - or you can replug the HDMI/DP cable without waiting, this works as well without pulling the power plug, but it might be harmful as you shouldn't disrupt the pixel cleaning according to manual. I have this daily once or twice with a new PG48UQ.

ASUS needs to acknowledege this and work on a firmware update and at least announce here that it will be fixed soon. I would really like to avoid returning the monitor over a firmware issue that could easily be fixed.

I'm just replugging the power cord now! It always happen in a middle of a important gunfight and I'm not accepting that ****! It gives no warning about any pixel cleaning when this happens!
Asus! Fix it or get these monitors in refund!

Also have the same issue with my PG48UQ.

I would love to see this addressed.

I do not think it is forcing pixel cleaning as the monitor doesn't go into the blinking orange (light red) pixel cleaning mode that happens when you force pixel cleaning through the menu.

I was thinking maybe it was heat but many times I have kind of felt around and that doesn't seem to be an issue.

I have had it recover after a few seconds before, but 98% of the time it requires resetting HDMI and/or resetting Power.

I will say this has never happened to me during gaming (could just be lucky) but happens to me throughout the work day (this would make sense as it is the part of the day I spend with the display continually on).

Begs another question on if the monitor self pixel cleans when "asleep" so every time you startup again you are pixel "fresh"

@Asus ???

JW

Yes I'm also having this issue - seems like an RMA isn't the fix. Frustrating that this issue isn't getting addressed on such an expensive monitor (I'm actually on a PG48UQ, FW 025).