cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scroll wheel bouncing back in opposite directions when scrolling sometimes with Chakram X

Pook_and_Pie
Level 8

Hello, I have a ROG Chakram X that's had some issues with its scroll wheel for a moment. Sometimes when scrolling up or down with the wheel, or using a tool in InDesign or Illustrator, scrolling in one direction sometimes results in inputs in the opposite direction. When Googling, I've heard this referred to as "bounce back" but everyone seems to have their own terms for it.

I've tried all the common fixes to get this to stop- I've used compressed air, etc., to blow in and around the mouse wheel, removed hair from the post of the scroll wheel that had somehow gotten wrapped around it (I have a long hair cat, so I guess it just happens sometimes), etc., but nothing's stopped this bounce back problem. The only thing I haven't done is completely disassemble and doused the encoder in isopropyl alcohol or electronic contact cleaner, because I thought it'd be best to ask here, first, about what I should do.

There isn't a physical problem or deformity with the scroll wheel itself, so the only thing I can guess is that it's the encoder. However, I don't know how to clean this as it seems to be sealed up, going by pictures online.

Does ASUS sell the scroll wheel parts for Chakram X's so I could potentially replace this? I'm still within warranty, as well, if that matters.

6 REPLIES 6

Nate152

Hello Pook_and_Pie

You can pull the cover and click buttons off but you can't get to the encoder.

It sounds like you have a faulty encoder, if you're still within the 30 day purchase date from the store you bought it from, contact the store for a replacement.

If you're past the 30 day store warranty, contact ASUS Technical Support.

ASUS (U.S.) Technical Support phone numbers - 1-888-678-3688 or 1-571-223-4431

Let me know how you make out.

Dualscimitars
Level 7

Mine started doing this too. But when i switch it to bluetooth wireless mode, it stops doing it… kind of depressing for a 169.99 mouse..

skywalkerx
Level 9

I have the same issue, it happens on all types of connections (Bluetooth, wired, or wireless). 

SOLDIERRFK
Level 7

I'm having the same issue 😕

Pook_and_Pie
Level 8

I contacted ASUS support and sent the mouse in for warranty replacement, which fixed my issue. Hopefully you guys are able to do the same!

Nate152

Thank you for reporting Pook_and_Pie, good to hear a replacement solved the scroll wheel problem.