cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My thoughts: Improving the ROG Gladius - make it a usable alternative for CS:GO

schaedel
Level 7
Hey guys. As a long time and High Level CS:GO player I was looking forward to the ROG Gladius.

It's a longer conclusion but I hope it can reach the developers to make some improvements in the future. First I can say that I was expecting more and this product made a lot of things right but it lacks at a crucial part.

First of all I was looking for an alternative for the Deathadder (DA) and besides what people think about Razers quality, it's definately one of the best products on the market.

The Gladius got the same sensor as the DA2013 that was the main point for switching to it so I don't need to worry about getting used to a new sensor and this one is the top optical sensor on the market. With Logitech I had the problem of broken cables after some years, with Razer it was the horrible Quality of the micro switches for Mouse1/2. So the Gladius was kind of the perfect alternative, a pluggable cable and the option to change the micro switches. That's why I bought one, it was a rarely used one and should have come with the 2nd pair of mouse skatez, sadly they were missing so I sticked to the default switches. So from the first look, it was a perfect choice for someone who wants to stick with a mouse for some years.

Comparing both directly I felt that the Gladius might be a bit to heavy but its only 12 gramm so I think this is still okay, even when it took me about a week to get used to it. From an ergonomically point of view I found the Deathadder for my hand a bit better, I got some cramps from time to time but this could be to my style of holding the mouse, hand size etc. so its just a subjective description. I used the mouse for about ~4 months so I can think I can do a good conclusion overall, specifically for CS:GO and I think this should be one or the one game for which this mouse should be tested for, no other fps game is played that much at the moment on such a professional level.

Yes the sensor works perfect, it couldnt be better, its definatly better than a G400, thats why I bought the DA2013 after the G400's mouse cable was broken.

But....from the beginning I had a problem with the clicks of mouse1/2. At first I thought that its the resistance in comparison to the default switches of the Deathadder to which I was used to play, and especially for Global Offensive they are perfect. Even when my first DA2013 struggled after 3 months, the RMA DA made it for about 5 months until mouse3 was broken. But the problem does exist in the firmware as it seems and not in the micro switches. The mouse was used with v1.29 and in another forum people had this problem with later firmwares like this one.

One of the main skills in CS:GO is to handle the weapon recoil and the style of shooting for each situation perfect. For example on long ranges you need to "tap" your mouse1 very slowly so you have nearly no recoil with the AK47 and there is tap technique for even close to 0 recoil which is a bit slower. And sometimes I couldnt get the point exactly and this problem never occured with the Deathadder, due to the fact they both use the same Avago sensor, I think the Deathadder is the main target of the Gladius, even the form seems pretty similar. And so its very obligatory to handle the tapping and the recoil which comes with it perfect! Sometimes (and I speak of sometimes during one match!) it happens that one of the taps ends into autofire, I wasnt sure why but there seems to be a delay on the mouse clicks. And when you run accidently into autofire instead of tapping, the recovery time to get to 0 recoil is so long, that you're pretty sure dead. Another point is, if you're an AWP player you have so much angles where you need to run fast into cover, so you shoot, switch to knife and strafe sidewards. And there were also some situations in which I shot, switched to knife but because the mouse has delay on the click, I was faster on the knife than the mouse command "mouse1 click" has arrived the game, this happened even with a cheap keyboard 125hz polling rate! As a player who played competitive CS on a very high level here in germany, I can say for sure that it wasnt an error by pressing Q (my switch to knife key) first instead of mouse1, this scheme is 100% accurate when I play that I can say this error was produced by the Gladius. This example occured at the first day of using the Gladius and has never occured on every other mouse (DA 1600 DPI, 3600 DPI, 6400 DPI, Chroma with 10000 DPI, Logitech MX 518, G400).

And here we are at a point where the Gladius gets useless if it costs you frags you would had done with every other common mouse (G400, Deathadder for example) and if you're playing tournaments for money, there is no room for such an error made by the firmware to prevent a problem with accidantly double clicking. Just imagine you have the deciding round in a major tournament and just need to land that awp shot, you press the button, switch to knife to strafe faster sidewards and booom...oh no the mouse didnt get the shot out, you dont get that kill that saved the round and the opponent gets in a better position and kills you. Now youre getting 150k $ instead of 500k$. Not even one salary player will be using this mouse as long as a problem such as this persists. And we all know that people who wants to improve start with their gear and the no 1 product is a mice which a pro gamer is using. And here you won't see this mouse, which made a lot of good points worth buying it (choice of micro switches, pluggable cable, the best sensor etc.) but fails in one of the most crucial points: the reaction time of mouse clicks. And 20 ms will decide if you live or die. For sure.

Finally a conclusion:

+
Choice of micro switches
Pluggable cable
Perfect sensor

o form - maybe not perfect for some1 like me who loves a g400 but doesnt have problems with a deathadder neither
o weight: could be a bit less but its still okay
o mousewheel : for strafe jumping the DA2013 wheel is better, the chroma is worse but still better than the gladius. Try to get it on the chroma level.

And double - for the delay.

If youre able to fix this problem with your firmware, to get the click back to 1 ms, this mouse would be a viable option. Perhaps it could be a good idea to add an option in the driver to switch between the default "click delay" to "0 delay", call it want you want for advertising the drivers feature).

With best regards!
8 REPLIES 8

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
Probably you need to see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1o2HBm_uNk - About click delay, min 2:24, in the middle of the video...

Probably not that 1MS you speak about, in lot's of mouses, even wired!

Yeah there might be a bit delay in every mouse. But there were users in another forum who had about 20ms!!! worse reaction time twith this mouse and this only occured in newer firmwares, I think it was the 1.25 mentioned where this problem wasnt existing. So they came finally to the conclusion that this mouse is 20 ms worse in than other products ^^

And I dont know exactly why, but somehow the firmware made the delay so high, that you cant hit the point perfect in CS:GO for tapping. With a lower delay its more accurate and this is all what you need. You must see it more like that way, if a common mouse like the deathadder or a rival have about 7-10 ms delay...there is no huge difference, 3 ms is not worth it. Now youre using the Gladius and you're getting up to 30 ms click delay...this is still a 20 ms difference to the deathadder. And 20 ms is a lot, even more annoying is that you cant manage the patterns for bursting and tapping perfect, because its way to inaccurate with this delay especcially for this game. I was so angry about the Deathadder when mouse3 was broken that I was very happy when the Gladius came in...but you cant imagine how I felt when I got the Chroma out of the RMA and played 1 hour Deathmatch with it. No mistakes in Shooting, sometimes I'm a bit too fast but its still so accurate that I dont end up in accidently bursting. After 4 days it just feels perfect because I never made 1 mistake in the clicking rate that I crashed my whole recoil. The Gladius was the first mouse were this occured and I played 1.6 from 1999-2009, the last years in a top 20 team (national top 20) and started playing cs:go more or less for fun but on a high level when it came out, just stopped playing the leagues for getting into pro leagues but still with a decent amount of skill.

Gameaholic
Level 7
Yes I'm also looking forward to a ROG FPS mouse to compete with the G400, Deathadder, Zowie EC2 etc. In terms of shape the G400/MX518 just fit my hand better than any other mice I've tried. So what I'm looking for is Right Handed, Palm Grip, low lift off distance, lightweight, perfect sensor, maybe an sniper button (which I usually end up using for push to talk), a hyper scroll wheel, and aura lighting. I tried the Gladius and it just didn't feel right. Almost immediately ended up giving it away to a friend. I figure Asus is new to the mouse game so it may take them a few tries to come out with something I like. Maybe since it would be a FPS mouse they could name it after a gun instead of a sword.

Bahz
Level 12
Thanks for the feedback, I personally use the Gladius and I also play CS:GO, but I think it's probably that I don't play at as high of a level where I would notice these issues.

I'll be sure to forward this feedback over to our peripheral team to look into.

Hey!

Thanks for your response! I got the link with the new firmware and I hope that I can find the time to test this out in the next weeks.

As always! Good work Asus!

Hypnotic
Level 7
schaedel wrote:
Hey guys. As a long time and High Level CS:GO player I was looking forward to the ROG Gladius.

It's a longer conclusion but I hope it can reach the developers to make some improvements in the future. First I can say that I was expecting more and this product made a lot of things right but it lacks at a crucial part.

First of all I was looking for an alternative for the Deathadder (DA) and besides what people think about Razers quality, it's definately one of the best products on the market.

The Gladius got the same sensor as the DA2013 that was the main point for switching to it so I don't need to worry about getting used to a new sensor and this one is the top optical sensor on the market. With Logitech I had the problem of broken cables after some years, with Razer it was the horrible Quality of the micro switches for Mouse1/2. So the Gladius was kind of the perfect alternative, a pluggable cable and the option to change the micro switches. That's why I bought one, it was a rarely used one and should have come with the 2nd pair of mouse skatez, sadly they were missing so I sticked to the default switches. So from the first look, it was a perfect choice for someone who wants to stick with a mouse for some years.

Comparing both directly I felt that the Gladius might be a bit to heavy but its only 12 gramm so I think this is still okay, even when it took me about a week to get used to it. From an ergonomically point of view I found the Deathadder for my hand a bit better, I got some cramps from time to time but this could be to my style of holding the mouse, hand size etc. so its just a subjective description. I used the mouse for about ~4 months so I can think I can do a good conclusion overall, specifically for CS:GO and I think this should be one or the one game for which this mouse should be tested for, no other fps game is played that much at the moment on such a professional level.

Yes the sensor works perfect, it couldnt be better, its definatly better than a G400, thats why I bought the DA2013 after the G400's mouse cable was broken.

But....from the beginning I had a problem with the clicks of mouse1/2. At first I thought that its the resistance in comparison to the default switches of the Deathadder to which I was used to play, and especially for Global Offensive they are perfect. Even when my first DA2013 struggled after 3 months, the RMA DA made it for about 5 months until mouse3 was broken. But the problem does exist in the firmware as it seems and not in the micro switches. The mouse was used with v1.29 and in another forum people had this problem with later firmwares like this one.

One of the main skills in CS:GO is to handle the weapon recoil and the style of shooting for each situation perfect. For example on long ranges you need to "tap" your mouse1 very slowly so you have nearly no recoil with the AK47 and there is tap technique for even close to 0 recoil which is a bit slower. And sometimes I couldnt get the point exactly and this problem never occured with the Deathadder, due to the fact they both use the same Avago sensor, I think the Deathadder is the main target of the Gladius, even the form seems pretty similar. And so its very obligatory to handle the tapping and the recoil which comes with it perfect! Sometimes (and I speak of sometimes during one match!) it happens that one of the taps ends into autofire, I wasnt sure why but there seems to be a delay on the mouse clicks. And when you run accidently into autofire instead of tapping, the recovery time to get to 0 recoil is so long, that you're pretty sure dead. Another point is, if you're an AWP player you have so much angles where you need to run fast into cover, so you shoot, switch to knife and strafe sidewards. And there were also some situations in which I shot, switched to knife but because the mouse has delay on the click, I was faster on the knife than the mouse command "mouse1 click" has arrived the game, this happened even with a cheap keyboard 125hz polling rate! As a player who played competitive CS on a very high level here in germany, I can say for sure that it wasnt an error by pressing Q (my switch to knife key) first instead of mouse1, this scheme is 100% accurate when I play that I can say this error was produced by the Gladius. This example occured at the first day of using the Gladius and has never occured on every other mouse (DA 1600 DPI, 3600 DPI, 6400 DPI, Chroma with 10000 DPI, Logitech MX 518, G400).

And here we are at a point where the Gladius gets useless if it costs you frags you would had done with every other common mouse (G400, Deathadder for example) and if you're playing tournaments for money, there is no room for such an error made by the firmware to prevent a problem with accidantly double clicking. Just imagine you have the deciding round in a major tournament and just need to land that awp shot, you press the button, switch to knife to strafe faster sidewards and booom...oh no the mouse didnt get the shot out, you dont get that kill that saved the round and the opponent gets in a better position and kills you. Now youre getting 150k $ instead of 500k$. Not even one salary player will be using this mouse as long as a problem such as this persists. And we all know that people who wants to improve start with their gear and the no 1 product is a mice which a pro gamer is using. And here you won't see this mouse, which made a lot of good points worth buying it (choice of micro switches, pluggable cable, the best sensor etc.) but fails in one of the most crucial points: the reaction time of mouse clicks. And 20 ms will decide if you live or die. For sure.

Finally a conclusion:

+
Choice of micro switches
Pluggable cable
Perfect sensor

o form - maybe not perfect for some1 like me who loves a g400 but doesnt have problems with a deathadder neither
o weight: could be a bit less but its still okay
o mousewheel : for strafe jumping the DA2013 wheel is better, the chroma is worse but still better than the gladius. Try to get it on the chroma level.

And double - for the delay.

If youre able to fix this problem with your firmware, to get the click back to 1 ms, this mouse would be a viable option. Perhaps it could be a good idea to add an option in the driver to switch between the default "click delay" to "0 delay", call it want you want for advertising the drivers feature).

With best regards!

schaedel you are one of us !!!
You are right for absolutely everything what you write here.

I'm playing very hard Battlefield 4 and i have the gladius and i want as much as possible what i can take from my mouse if she have thes extras will be more personal and professional (because that i bought thes mouse).

Will there ever be a new software/firmware release for Gladius where we can choose from the absolute minimum button latency that the hardware is capable and let's say 30 or so ms to cover up any occurring problems?

Hypnotic wrote:
schaedel you are one of us !!!
You are right for absolutely everything what you write here.

I'm playing very hard Battlefield 4 and i have the gladius and i want as much as possible what i can take from my mouse if she have thes extras will be more personal and professional (because that i bought thes mouse).

actually yesterday i send private message to Bahz (Administrator) about that i hope for lest any response 🙂