- Intel ME Consumer Firmware :

Firmware : 14.1.72.2287 [24/06/2023]
PMC Firmware : 140.2.01.1018 [22/02/2021]
PCHC Firmware : 14.0.0.7002 [12/06/2020]
PHY Firmware : 12.14.215.2015 [25/08/2021]
Download : Link

Check/Update Process :

Check current version : Right click on "Check.cmd" > Run as administrator

Install/Update : Right click on "Install.cmd" > Run as administrator > Automatic restart when install is done

OS requirements : Windows 10 64 bit or more recent.
Hardware requirements : Motherboards with Intel H470/Z490 chipset.

234 REPLIES 234

L-Sakata wrote:
Thanks for your continued releases.

Have a question if you have the time -- is there any reason why the firmware can't be backed up?
When attempted, we get "Error 357: Restore Point Image was requested, but it is not allowed because CSE is in Recovery Mode."
Unfortunately my searching for the error doesn't turn up anything that I know how to resolve.
EDIT: Actually, this latest one did so without issue! Awesome!

I can bee wrong but arent the FW stored in the Motherboard/chipset and not in Windows?

rstolpe1988 wrote:
I can bee wrong but arent the FW stored in the Motherboard/chipset and not in Windows?

Hi,

Yes indeed, the Intel ME is an embedded microcontroller running a lightweight microkernel operating system, the Intel ME firmware is managed with the BIOS/UEFI.

rstolpe1988 wrote:

Yes, and no. When you update the firmware, you do so from the download, in Windows. The 'install.cmd' file that you run is a script that calls "FWUpdLcl64.exe", which is the Intel made firmware update tool, and tells it to update using the "VersionNumber.bin" file.
The updater takes the .bin file on your drive, and 'puts' it in the flash chip on the motherboard.
The command for this in the script is:
FWUpdLcl64 -FORCERESET -ALLOWSV -F 14.1.51.1528.bin

The firmware can also be backed up to disk with the same update tool. In basic terms it does the reverse of the update command - it reads the chip on the board, and writes the chip's contents to a file on disk.
Some people are big about backups (like myself), because rarely, the firmware can introduce a bug that could do anything from causing strange crashes to even rendering the system unbootable. Without a working firmware backup that you have locally (on your disk), life can get annoying really fast should you need to restore the last working firmware and wait for a bugfix release to come along.
For the record, the command to do a backup (in the script I wrote a bit back) is:
FWUpdLcl64.exe -save ME-FW-backup_%datetime%.bin

Before the last firmware, I had been unable to do the backups, as the firmware was reporting that it was in a state that could not be read. This is why I'd asked about the error before: "Error 357: Restore Point Image was requested, but it is not allowed because CSE is in Recovery Mode." However, the firmware he'd released right before I made that post, it was able to back up properly (hence my edit in red)

MoKiChU
Level 40

Hi everyone,

- Intel ME Consumer Firmware :

Firmware : 14.1.51.1528 [24/11/2020]
PMC Firmware : 140.2.01.1015 [16/10/2020]
PCHC Firmware : 14.0.0.7002 [12/06/2020]
PHY Firmware : 12.14.210.2008 [30/11/2020]

Thread updated.

Hi MoKiChU,

I have been trying to get access to the Forum for seven days so I could write you.

I have a Rog Maximus XII Apex motherboard and I have problem. I have Installed Windows 10 Pro on Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB. No problems with that.
After I have installed drivers and firmware it all looked fine. Also Samsungs NvME driver was installed. In bios Its set for PCIe 3.0 x 4. Bios is latest 2002. Didnt work with 1003 either. There are no Sata drives connected. Just this one NvME on slot M.2_1(only onboard M.2 slot).

My problem is that My NvME will only do ~1750 MB/s in CrystalDiskMark. It shows the same speeds in Samsung Magician and HwInfo.
I have installed Windows seven times now, trying different drivers. I have tried to use all the drivers you have in your Index. There were no problems installing them.
Could there be any relation between that half speed and then me not updating drivers and chipset the correct way/order?

So before I will make a RMA on the board, I want to be sure its not me who messed up things.

I have made a thread on Tomshardware where all my screenshots are, also a very friendly person who tried to help. He also said I should try here.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-my-maximus-apex-xii-motherboard-broken-or-am-i-just-too-s...

I really is okay to post it here. If not im sorry.

CapricornB wrote:
Hi MoKiChU,

I have been trying to get access to the Forum for seven days so I could write you.

I have a Rog Maximus XII Apex motherboard and I have problem. I have Installed Windows 10 Pro on Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB. No problems with that.
After I have installed drivers and firmware it all looked fine. Also Samsungs NvME driver was installed. In bios Its set for PCIe 3.0 x 4. Bios is latest 2002. Didnt work with 1003 either. There are no Sata drives connected. Just this one NvME on slot M.2_1(only onboard M.2 slot).

My problem is that My NvME will only do ~1750 MB/s in CrystalDiskMark. It shows the same speeds in Samsung Magician and HwInfo.
I have installed Windows seven times now, trying different drivers. I have tried to use all the drivers you have in your Index. There were no problems installing them.
Could there be any relation between that half speed and then me not updating drivers and chipset the correct way/order?

So before I will make a RMA on the board, I want to be sure its not me who messed up things.

I have made a thread on Tomshardware where all my screenshots are, also a very friendly person who tried to help. He also said I should try here.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-my-maximus-apex-xii-motherboard-broken-or-am-i-just-too-s...

I really is okay to post it here. If not im sorry.

Try Disable Windows Write-Cache Buffer Flushing
1.Right-click Computer in the Start menu, then select Properties.
2.Select Device Manager.
3.Select Disk drives.
4.Right-click your SSD and select Properties.
5.Under the Polices tab, check the Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device box.

hsm06 wrote:
2.Select Device Manager.
3.Select Disk drives.
5.Under the Polices tab, check the Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device box.

Thanks so much for answering.

If that does the trick ill shoot myself in the face 😮

I will try your solution out this evening. If it works ill be so so so happy.

Thanks again

CapricornB wrote:
Thanks so much for answering.

If that does the trick ill shoot myself in the face 😮

I will try your solution out this evening. If it works ill be so so so happy.

Thanks again

I just made a new install of windows and did windows update. In Device manager there are missing a PCI-Unit and SM-Buscontroller driver.

Can you tell me in what exact order to install all your drivers? Just so I dont get it wrong. I just did a test after checking that box you told me and the speed was the same as before ~1750 MB/s read/write.

Edit:
After installing those drivers my pc wont boot up at all. I comes with constant yellow LED on MB that means something is wrong with DRAM. Also give the number 10 that means PEI Core is startet. It just hangs there. Power to monitor and keyboard is gone.
Have tried bios in default, in optimized default and also with XMP on/off.
Any ideas?

CapricornB wrote:
I just made a new install of windows and did windows update. In Device manager there are missing a PCI-Unit and SM-Buscontroller driver.

Can you tell me in what exact order to install all your drivers? Just so I dont get it wrong. I just did a test after checking that box you told me and the speed was the same as before ~1750 MB/s read/write.

Hi,

Please don't be off topic and stop posting anything anywhere, you talk about SSD throughput while posting this in an Intel ME firmware thread ...

Open a new thread or chat via PM with the person who answered you.

hsm06 wrote:
2.Select Device Manager.
3.Select Disk drives.

if that did not help close everything in show hidden icons in the system tray like gameliberary related like origin and steam epic spotify then run the test again and also this above enable it again this will just make it slower when not turning it on