cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TUF Gaming GT501 Mid-Tower Computer Case

LoveToDie
Level 7
The problem I'm experiencing is with my GPU heating over 80C when I have the front cover mounted on the case.

My system has 2 Liquid coolers for CPU and GPU. CPU is a AMD 2920x and GPU is a RTX3080 TI Hybrid.

I have the CPU being cooled by the 360mm ROG Ryn360 and the 3080 uses a 240mm Radiator. I have that mounted to the top front of the case.

The CPU is running 57C under heavy load. W/O a lode the temp oscillates between 30C to 45C. But it stays consistent 57C under load. All 3 fans for the CPU are drawing outside air through the radiator and into the case.

The back fan is an exhaust out of the case.

With the front cover of the case on, I've tried mounting the fans to either pull in fresh air or exhaust out of the case. Neither matters. The temperature on GPU slowly builds until I smell the heat and have to shut it down to cool off. This is usually around 80C. A textbook example of Thermal Runaway if there ever was.

If I leave the front cover off the case, the temp holds steady at 60C under load, whether I have the fans on the GPU radiator blowing in or out.

I tried adding a 3rd fan below the 2 GPU fans blowing in or out and it makes no difference to the GPU heat build up when the front cover is on.

Taking the glass side off the case has no affect on the GPU overheating or the temp of the CPU.

Neither my CPU or GPU is OC'ed.

If anyone has any ideas how I can leave the front cover on and not overheat my GPU that would be great! I've also switched the radiators to run the GPU on the top of the case and the CPU on the front and the problem follows the radiator mounted to the front of the case.

Thanks!
LTD
4 REPLIES 4

LoveToDie
Level 7
I think if they made the front cover with vent holes in the front FLAT part of the front cover that would help a lot.... I'd be willing to be a test machine if Asus wanted to send me a sample... Follow the same vent pattern as the ones made in the 45-degree sides?

JMHO

world
What kind of a fan setup do you have on the GPU radiator? Also, what is your fan curve like?

I know the temperature going up to 80 C doesn't feel ideal, but according to NVidia 80 C is still well within safe operating temperatures for the 3080ti. (nVidia states 93C as max temp, and at that point the GPU will automatically throttle to keep within safe limits)

Finally, what are you using to load your computer to check temperatures?

world wrote:
What kind of a fan setup do you have on the GPU radiator? Also, what is your fan curve like?

I know the temperature going up to 80 C doesn't feel ideal, but according to NVidia 80 C is still well within safe operating temperatures for the 3080ti. (nVidia states 93C as max temp, and at that point the GPU will automatically throttle to keep within safe limits)

Finally, what are you using to load your computer to check temperatures?

The GPU fans and radiator come the Hybrid so I don't really know what kind of fans they used. But whether I have them draw or exhaust the temp doesn't change. I've even used the X! precision to run the fans at max and it barely has an effect. To me, the cover is stopping air flow because of the design. JMHO

I'm not comfortable with 80C for a temp when I can smell the card getting hot. I'm also not comfortable that temp is still climbing when I turn it off at 80C. When I had my old case which was a Obsidian and there was no room to mount 2 radiators, I left the GPU sitting outside the case and my temp when I did that was 50C ALWAYS. So even going with 60C Mounted in this case is a 20F degree change with the front cover off.

Load on my computer is my games. This was happening with Tiny Tina's Wonderlands and Cyberpunk 2077 with maxed graphics settings. I have used Uniengine's Superposition Free version but there's no difference from running actual games in my temps or FPS... Which averages about 112 FPS. I'm reinstalling Star Citizen and going to see how that runs next.

I'm having the same issue with my 501 case and the 3080 hybrid. I just leave the front cover off too and have any fan that's not a radiator fan blowing in as fresh air intake and the radiator fans blowing out of the case exhausting as much heat out of the case as is possible. I did mount a 120 fan under the front mounted GPU radiator as well. My temps under load with the front cover on and w/o the dust screen are in the 70's and 60-62 without it. Man does that front cover get really really hot!!! This is kind of a poor design imo. So, I separated the two parts of the front cover and cut out the entire middle plastic section with a hacksaw blade leaving the top and bottom attached to the sides for support and reinstallation and reattached the two halves. Then I drilled 4 large holes down the center of the cover using a hole saw I had for drilling out door handle holes and is rated for metal. This worked and looks great and my temps are better but still not as good as without the cover on -I'm getting 67 instead of 62 max So I've ordered smaller hole saw 1 1/4" to drill holes on the edges of the center holes (you can see my pencil marks in the photo) and am hoping that'll help get me down to or below 65. This thing is like an oven in my office

I also set my fan curve to 0% up to 33c. And then 10% for every 10 degrees c. until 60 where 70 degrees goes to 100%. So anything above 60 starts getting a bit loud.

Good luck I hope you find a solution that involves using the front cover.

Updated- I've added the additional holes to the front cover, it's wide open, and the temps are pretty much the same now as without the cover. I've turned down my fan speed to allow the temps to hit 66-67 as this seems to be the same temp as it was earlier but w/o the noise level. I'm thinking of swapping out the OEM fans next. It's nice to have the cover back on.