cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to change my Tim.

Rob_W_
Level 12
I tried LM on my delid i9 7980xe under the ihs, that’s ok but I also used it between ihs and full cover water block, now , I either didn’t put enough on!*
Or the EKwb block does not clamp tight enough/ with LM being so much thinner. Therefor not sufficient contact.
My reasoning on this is, I am on a 4.6 Oc *able to get most cores in the 60deg mark but core 14 constantly hits 80+deg along with Cpu(peci)80+deg and cpu package 80+deg On a 4.7oc those hit thermal throttle whilst other cores are in the 60s/ 70s, vrm and pch in the 50deg mark.
I am confident the delid is fine but I’m thinking of swapping the Wb Tim from lm to cryonaut as this being a paste/thicker.
I used LM on the gpu and ,well, temps have never gone above 32deg, so well pleased with that result even with a good Oc.
Interested in anyone’s views on this, ? It was kind of an experiment.:D*
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hey Rob W.

It's hard to say if it's the waterblock not making good contact, the cpu itself or possibly the delid. But, the waterblock should still be making good contact with liquid metal, if wasn't, I'd expect more cores to be 80c.

Seeing it's just core 14 it could be the cpu.

If you feel ambitious and want to remount the WB and try the kryonaut go for it, you could Re-delid it too and check how it looks under the IHS. However, there is a chance doing any of these may not help at all.

Rob_W_
Level 12
Hi @Nate152, thanks for reply, yes I think I will go the full delid again, just to be doubly sure, besides, it would make sense whilst it’s stripped down.
Also, I am glad I waited for a drain valve for the loop, boy that’s going to make life easier 😄
Don’t mind spending time on this rig, I have my m8e for gaming, I will try and remember to take a pic of block and delid for reference.*

Nate152
All right

Cool, yeah some pics are always good.

My 7700k, Core 2 always ran about 4c warmer than the other three and did so after delidding too, that's why I say it could just be the cpu.

You'll probably gain 2-4c going to the kryonaut, I hope it's all worth while.

You could play a game and use an OSD to see if temps are consistent, it might change your mind on doing it. 🙂

Stress testing temps is when core 2 can be 4c higher but when gaming temps are pretty consistent.

Rob_W_
Level 12
Gone the whole hog here and delided again, there is an area to the right/ top and bottom that seemed too thin as seen in picture, also on the underside of the ihs after cleaning most tim off, it became apparent / or appeared to be contamination that had baked on in tiny spots ( suspect dust), it took a fair bit of cleaning with isopropynol and finger nail! ( lesson learnt,)
*So all cleaned up and ready for another go and see if it gets rid of the 10 to 20deg difference, (4deg I could live with) *73476 *
Cleaned up nicely, will vacuum next time lol.
@Nate152 fc5 looks 😎 I gather you have g/vsync enabled for FPS,*