Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MetallicAcid's Fractal Effect 304

MetallicAcid
Level 10
MetallicAcid's 3rd project - Fractal Effect 304
(Customer build)

Sponsored by:

Hello once again! I would like to present to you a build log that I am working on for a friend of mine.

My friend Henrik approached me just a couple of weeks ago and asked for me to build a computer for him, at which I jumped at the opportunity! After some spitballing about design options, Henrik decided that he really wanted his PC to have a design which was based upon Electronic Arts Mass Effect series... Henrik's most favorite gaming series ever!

A Quick hardware and shopping list:
Case - Fractal Design Node 304 (Bought)
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe (Bought)
CPU - Intel Core i7 2700K (Bought)
GPU - Nvidia ASUS GTX770 DCII 2GB (Bought)
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1866mhz 8GB (2x4GB) (Bought)
PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 600W (Bought=
SSD - Samsung EVO 250GB (Bought)
OS - Microsoft Windows 8.1

Table of contents:
Update 1 (This post) - Concept and introduction
Update 2 - Cutting begins!
Update 3 - Wild Bitfenix appears!
Update 4 - Filing, fitting, fixing.
Update 5 - The Node 304 arrives to steal the show.
Update 6 - Proud sponsor #2 MSCB.se
Update 7 - Warranty? Pfft, that's for losers and pussies (Part1)
Update 8 - Dat chestplate!
Update 9 - The PSU shroud. I am so proud! I'm floating on the 9th cloud. I hope you're WOWed! (part ...
Update 10 - Look!! Mum look!! I sleeved my USB 3.0 cable!! (and IO panel cables ;))
Update 11 - Warranty? Pfft, that's for losers and pussies (Part2)
Update 12 - I would like to introduce to you my biggest fans!
Update 13 - Size (length) matters!
Update 14 - The building begins!
Update 15 - Cool thrills, and Speed kills! (H80i and SSD installed)
Update 16 - The PSU shroud. I am so proud! I'm floating on the 9th cloud. I hope you're WOWed! (part...
Update 17 - Put on your armour soldier - We're going to battle!
Update 18 - The badge of honour.
Update 19 - Awwwww yissssss. Breadcrumbs. (Plexiglass window and final pictures)

Final Pictures

Best regards,
MetallicAcid / Justin.
49 REPLIES 49

MetallicAcid
Level 10
Update 2
Cutting begins!

Welcome to the 2nd update of this fantastic customer build, pegged to take no more than the end of December to complete.

In this chapter I would like to introduce everyone to the alimunium armour pieces that I have cut out, that will be attached to the top of the Fractal Design Node 304. I have just two pictures to show this update, as these cuts were done during the week at work on my lunch break each day. These panels were created from setting up sketchup to print off the design in 1:1 ratio, and then just cut around the lines... Childs play!

I am sorry for the crappy pictures and unprofessional lighting, but I thought the importance to document this step took precedence over a photo shoot.. Once I have the panels glued and filed, I will set the old photobooth and get some glory shots for you guys!

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think so far of the build 😄
MetallicAcid

MetallicAcid
Level 10
Update 3
Wild Bitfenix appears!

I am proud to announce Bitfenix as a partner for this pocket rocket of a PC mod for Henrik. They have generously supplied me with 2 Spectre Pro PWM 120mm fans, and 6 120mm LED strips. I will put these to good use! Here is a couple of pictures to show the items up close.

Thank you Bitfenix for supplying this build with your fans and LEDs. This will help to make this build even more one of a kind!

As a mini text update, I am taking a half day from work to work exclusively with the mod. Expect some more progress very soon 😉
MetallicAcid

Update 4
Filing, fitting, fixing.

Welcome to the 4th update of this Fractal Design Node 304 mITX build. Can anyone suggest a better name than Fractal Effect 304 for me?? I swear I am the worst person in the world to think of PC names!!

Anyways, within this update, I want to share my progress after todays work on the plates which will sit on top of this Node 304 case. I have come a long way with the cutting - filing and fitting them together, and would like to share with you some before and after shots. They still are not 100% complete though, and you might see some unstraight lines in the pictures... The final filing and sizing happens when I have the plates sitting on the case 🙂 I have also started sanding in preparation for painting.

Before:

After:

That is it for this update and always, any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Best regards,
MetallicAcid

Update 5
The Node 304 arrives to steal the show.

Hey guys and girls!

Today was all about the Fractal Design Node 304. I would like to give you a photo tour of this case, and give you my first impressions with working on this case. I can start off by saying that I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of this case, and I now want one for myself! Anyways, on with the tour!

Packaging:
The Fractal Design Node 304 was well packaged with a thick cardboard box protecting the precious cargo inside. The Node 304 had a plastic bag around the case to protect it from dust and debris. Outside of this plastic protection was a styrofoam packing on all four sides holding the case securely in the middle. Nothing to fault at all.

Outside:
If I had to sum up the Node 304 in 1 word, it would be "Quality". The paint work on this case is fantastic. The whole case felt solid, like a bomb shelter, when I think back and compare it the Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E which I own and used in my previous mod. The only 1 gripe that I had with this Node 304 though was that the screws were overtightened from the factory. I stripped one screw trying to remove the HDD/SSD bracket, and then drilled the rest of it out as the "rubber band trick" did not work.

Inside:
This case is fairly roomy inside once I took out the HDD/SSD holders. I can understand that it gets cramped if someone is to use this case as a media server/NAS and trying to fit in 200+ storage devices (OK, I am maybe exaggerating... A little). But I am going for a pure gaming rig here, so those big and bulky things have gots to go!!

Until next time guys!
MetallicAcid

MetallicAcid
Level 10
Update 6
Proud sponsor #2 MSCB.se

Welcome to another installment of the Mass Effect inspired Node 304 from Fractal Design! I would like to announce MSCB.se as sponsor for all of my cable sleeving needs!

MSCB is a locally run small business here in Sweden, run by a young man named Mikael Svensson. He is single handedly fighting to bring independant sleeving to Sweden by importing and distributing high quality sleeving at a fraction of the cost of his market competition. I wish him the best of luck and give him support by highlighting his product in my latest project.

I have snapped a couple of quick shots of the sleeving, but I am afraid that my unprofessional photography skills do not do the sleeving justice.

In a mini text update, I have finished the filing, sanding, cleaning, gluing for the aluminium panels. I have even painted the base colour, and just finished the last coats of white for them, and will be masking off and filling in the edges with a half dark gray. Completed photos should be coming in by the end of the weekend. I have also made the decision that I will make a PSU shroud with some lines/design cut into it, and lit from underneath very much like in my ROG V Gene TJ08-E build. Imagine a white painted panel with orange and white LEDs shining from underneath 😄 This shroud also provides a platform for attaching P-clips for the 24pin and 8pin cables.

Oh yeahhhh..... This is going to be F*****G AWESOME when finished! I just might not let Henrik have it back...

Until next time,
MetallicAcid

Update 7
Warranty? Pfft, that's for losers and pussies (Part1)

Welcome to Justin's mad house of defouling electronics' warranties in the pursuit of beautification and functionality! In this update I would like to present to you the Fractal Design Newton R3 600W semi-modular PSU, and how in total disregard for its "Void warranty if removed" sticker - removed the top, and took around inside. No work has been done just yet though, but at least I know what I am dealing with now 😄 Here is what I seen:

I would like to get your opinions on which type of sleeving option would be the most aesthetically pleasing. I made a copy of mockups and pumped out a render to try and show in better detail what the 24pin could look like.

Please let me what you think about this project. I really want to hear what you are thinking, and what I can improve on. I want to build the best PC I can for Henrik, and any feedback from you guys would be greatly appreaciated!

Best regards,
MetallicAcid

Update 8
Dat chestplate!

Hello there!

In update 8 of this Mass Effect Node 304 build log I would like to present to you the completed chest piece which will be sitting on the very top face of this case. The white has a matte finish, and the grey has a blank/shiny finish. It looks awesome IRL but the pictures do not show. Once the plates are glued on, I will take more shots of it with the case and show it off! I do not have much else to say in this update other than I hope you guys like it 🙂

In a mini text update, I have finished sleeving the 24pin, and will soon start on the 8pin and GPU cables. I will also have to make the hole a little bigger as everything doesn't fit, and cramming everything in just doesn't work 😉

MetallicAcid

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Looking really good mate!! loved the title of update 7!! :cool:

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Looking really good mate!! loved the title of update 7!! :cool:

Thanks man 😄 I was feeling cheeky after getting permission from Henrik to do what I wanted with his PSU! Hopefully I can get some done on it tonight 😉

Response had been super quiet on this thread, so please if you are reading, drop a comment to show support, or to call me an idiot without skill. Anything will do! I want to know what your thoughts are with this whole project.. Until the next update!
MetallicAcid