cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Z690, Sound optical/digital, Sonic suite companion

Crasje
Level 12
Hi All,

I have 2 issues with my sounds (1 software).

I have connected my mobo via an optical cable to my Steelseries Wireless pro DAC. For the DAC I have an optical cable to my 5.1 Logitec DTS/Dolby Digital/THX sound system. When I turn on my headset, my speakers go off it seems to work perfectly.

However, I have a stereo connection and only play a 2 channel 24bits 48khz format. In the list for Realtek Digital Output properties there is no DTS or 5.1 channel option (in supported formats DTS audio and Dolby digital are selected). I also can't configure this Playback option for speakers. According to my mobo specs I should be able to have up to 32-Bit/384 kHz playback!

How do I get the 5.1 or 7.1 (mobo supports that) option available?

Issue 2:
I went to the advanced tab of my Sonic Companion and now it crashes every time I open it. I removed all audio drivers and installed them again (the latest August 2022 version) and it still crashes upon opening.

Any sound wizards around that can help me?

Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1300W ATX
Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme
Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum RGB 2x32GB 5600Mhz
Samsung 980 PRO 2TB M.2 SSD (2x)
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
Monitor 1: ROG STRIX XG349C
Monitor 2: Samsung HDTV T27D590
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉
8 REPLIES 8

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
I believe an official response was already provided?

Crasje
Level 12
Not really, there is talk about no licence (which I have on my sounds system (DTS, THX and Dolby Digital).

Even though optical supports 5.1, how do I select it in windows?
The board supports up to (7.1) 32-Bit/384 kHz playback, I can now only select up to 24-bits 48khz, how do I maximize the sound quality supplied by my (expensive) mobo?
There is a suggestion to go analogue, I have found no cable that supports 3 jacks (for 5.1) to my mobo that has 1 3.5mm jack for line in (steelseries wireless pro).

And how do I bypass the fact that my Sonic software crashes since I looked at the advanced tab? Since it crashes always there is no possibility to set to the basic tab.

I think am quite a good customer (see my signature) so I hope you can help me.

Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉

Crasje wrote:

Hi,

Whatever the range or the brand, be aware that you will not be able nowadays to find motherboard that can output 5.1 PCM (uncompressed) or 5.1 DTS/Dolby (compressed) via SPDIF port, only Stereo PCM.

Your Logitech audio system (whether you have the Z-5500 or the Z-906) can then either playback the Stereo PCM stream as it is, or upmix it to Stereo x2 or 5.1 Dolby Digital Pro Logic II.

So, if you want at all costs to output 5.1 PCM (uncompressed) or 5.1 DTS/Dolby (compressed) via SPDIF port from your PC, you have no choice but to buy a dedicated sound card (as xeromist suggested to you in your other thread).

Crasje wrote:
The board supports up to (7.1) 32-Bit/384 kHz playback, I can now only select up to 24-bits 48khz, how do I maximize the sound quality supplied by my (expensive) mobo?
There is a suggestion to go analogue, I have found no cable that supports 3 jacks (for 5.1) to my mobo that has 1 3.5mm jack for line in (steelseries wireless pro).

You can use 5.1 PCM via 3.5mm jack (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045991) with your Logitech audio system (and you can use SS3's Upmix / Surround option to spatialize the sound in 5.1 whatever audio content is played).

The addition of your Steelseries intermediate device and its limitations is your choice, this has nothing to do with your motherboard and its capabilities.

Crasje wrote:
And how do I bypass the fact that my Sonic software crashes since I looked at the advanced tab? Since it crashes always there is no possibility to set to the basic tab.

You have an ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard with ALC408x codec, so :

You need Realtek USB Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS) from the first post of the thread : [DRIVERS] Realtek USB Audio (Intel 5xx/6xx/7xx & AMD 5xx/6xx/TRX40).

- Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process
- Use this SS3 Cleaner tool (Right click on "A-Volute_SS3_Cleanup.exe" > Run as administrator) then restart your PC
- Follow scrupulously your INSTALL process

Once done, install news ASUS ROG SS3 Apps Updates (Offline Installer | Not yet available via the Microsoft Store as of now) :

Sonic Studio III v3.16.23.0 : Link
Sonic Radar III v3.16.23.0 (Optional) : Link

Crasje wrote:

For information, I don't work for ASUS, I'm a ROG user like you.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Crasje wrote:

Hi,

Whatever the range or the brand, be aware that you will not be able nowadays to find motherboard that can output 5.1 PCM (uncompressed) or 5.1 DTS/Dolby (compressed) via SPDIF port, only Stereo PCM.

Your Logitech audio system (whether you have the Z-5500 or the Z-906) can then either playback the Stereo PCM stream as it is, or upmix it to Stereo x2 or 5.1 Dolby Digital Pro Logic II.

So, if you want at all costs to output 5.1 PCM (uncompressed) or 5.1 DTS/Dolby (compressed) via SPDIF port from your PC, you have no choice but to buy a dedicated sound card (as xeromist suggested to you in your other thread).

Crasje wrote:

You can use 5.1 PCM via 3.5mm jack (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045991) with your Logitech audio system (and you can use SS3's Upmix / Surround option to spatialize the sound in 5.1 whatever audio content is played).

The addition of your Steelseries intermediate device and its limitations is your choice, this has nothing to do with your motherboard and its capabilities.

Crasje wrote:

You have an ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard with ALC408x codec, so :

You need Realtek USB Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS) from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] Realtek USB Audio (Intel 5xx/6xx/7xx & AMD 5xx/6xx/TRX40).

- Use this SS3 Cleaner tool (Right click on "A-Volute_SS3_Cleanup.exe" > Run as administrator) then restart your PC

Once done, install news ASUS ROG SS3 Apps Updates (Offline Installer | Not yet available via the Microsoft Store as of now) :

Sonic Studio III v3.16.23.0 : Link
Sonic Radar III v3.16.23.0 (Optional) : Link

Crasje wrote:

For information, I don't work for ASUS, I'm a ROG user like you.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

You need Realtek USB Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS) from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] Realtek USB Audio (Intel 5xx/6xx/7xx & AMD 5xx/6xx/TRX40).

------

Hi,

I must come over as a nitwit, but I downloaded the file, extracted it. It did not contain any setup.exe but an install.cmd. I ran that as an administrator and a DOS window popped up. It took some time and at one point my PC rebooted (no human intervention). After the reboot, there were no windows open or anything. I would like to follow the install process scrupulously, but besides running it I have not had to do anything scrupulously....

So I am beginning to doubt if that went correctly

Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉

Crasje wrote:
Hi,

I must come over as a nitwit, but I downloaded the file, extracted it. It did not contain any setup.exe but an install.cmd. I ran that as an administrator and a DOS window popped up. It took some time and at one point my PC rebooted (no human intervention). After the reboot, there were no windows open or anything. I would like to follow the install process scrupulously, but besides running it I have not had to do anything scrupulously....

So I am beginning to doubt if that went correctly

It's OK (you're the first to complain about the ease of use of my drivers package :D), now you have to install your apps by following the rest of the your INSTALL process (and update SS3 apps with the SS3 apps updates offline installers that I linked to you previously).

For the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

MoKiChU wrote:
It's OK (you're the first to complain about the ease of use of my drivers package :D), now you have to install your apps by following the rest of the your INSTALL process (and update SS3 apps with the SS3 apps updates offline installers that I linked to you previously).

For the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

Thanks!

I updated/installed the ASUS ROG SS3 Apps updates and Sonic studio is now starting without crashing (I do not dare to go to the Advanced tab).

I have found online some files to test 5.1 setup, and the funny thing is that even though the windows sound config says my playback output for the Realtek digital output is 2 channel, 24but, 48000Hz. I do hear all 5 speakers respond to the test file.
My best Guess is that if something is sending out 5.1 config, the speakers wil pick it up. Question of cours is that when you watch a movie or youtube on the PC it will also be 5.1....

Since my Logitec is quite old, I am thinking of upgrading to the new steelseries Arena 9 speakers i.c.w. the Novo Pro Wireless. But after checking the installation of both steelseries device, I think I will end up in the same configuration when using the optical connection.

Only other option would be to use the RCA Jack/USB-C line-in option, but I have not found a cable yet that connects the line in RCA/USB to 3 ports of the onboard sound card....

The search continuous....

Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉

Crasje
Level 12
And thanks for your effort of course!!!!!!

Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X