cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Armoury Crate and/or Asus Aura

chris_e
Level 7
Good Evening,
Is there an easy way to remove ALL the Aura Sync and Armoury Crate components from my system and basically start over without doing a full wipe of my OS? I would prefer to get Armoury Crate up-and-running, but would even be satisfied if Aura would consistently run. I would try a full OS re-install, but from what I’ve read, that will not fix the problem.

I recently build a gaming PC. I have never been able to get Aura or Armoury Crate to work properly. I purchased most of the parts because they are supposed to be Aura compatible, but have had nothing but problems. I turned on my system again today, and found that once again, my lighting is messed up and not working properly, but I can’t get Armoury Crate or Aura to install. Aura sometimes installs, but then stops working after a few days. When I try to install Armoury Crate, after I approve the change in the User Account Control, a black System box flashes on the screen, but then nothing happens.

My system has the following components:
• ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming motherboard
• AMD Ryzen 7 2700X processor w/Stock LED Fan
• EVGA GEFORCE RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra Video Card
• 64gb (4x16 sticks) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000 RAM
• Seasonic Focus Gold 650 FX power supply
• Thermaltake Level 20 ARGB case
• DEEP COOL RGB Convertor, 5V ADD-RGB to 12V RGB Transfer Hub (to sync case lighting)
• ROG Evolve Gaming Mouse
• ROG Flare Gaming Keyboard
• ROG Balteus QI LED Mousepad

• Windows 10 64-bit OS
• BIOS is ROG UEFI BIOS Utility Ver 2.17.1246 (ROG Effects are enabled)
note: I am not currently overclocking the system

Some specific issues I've had:
Lighting randomly stops working under both Asus Aura and Armoury Crate
Unable to reliably reinstall Aura and/or Armoury Crate - they sometimes just show up, (Aura usually does allow a reinstall, but not always - then it will run for a few days, and then just stop responding)
G.Skill RAM works, but AURA and Armoury Crate have never 'seen' them, even though they are Aura compatible
When it does work, Aura sometimes reports the Balteous pad as a motherboard

I have tried several methods that I found throughout this (and other) forums, such as:
• Removing the LastProfile.xml (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?114101-G-SKILL-Trident-Z-RGB-AURA-NO-CONTROL-%26%2310240%3...)
• Using CCleaner to uninstall the programs and clean the registry (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105774-AURA-SYNC-1-07-22-Report-Issues-Here/page6)
• Uninstalled ALL Aura (and even all ASUS) software, gone through the registry and found all Aura or Lighting Component files and removed them, then cleaned the registry with CCleaner (https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/ccnjqh/help_with_aura_software/)
• Uninstalled all Asus programs and reinstalled after checking the "This file came from another computer..." setting in Properties (https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/8idiv7/aura_sync_not_recognizing_tridentz_rgb_ram/)
• Cleared the CMOS before reinstalling
• To try to get the RAM synced, I tried to follow these instructions, but do not have a SPD setting in my BIOS (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/trident-z-ram-does-not-sync-with-asus-aura-properly.3081990/)

This has been driving me crazy for months. If I would have known that I would have this many issues with the lighting, I would have purchased other products. Does anyone have a solution to get this thing running properly?

Thanks in advance

Chris
18 REPLIES 18

todd200
Level 7
I can't help with all of your issues as Armory Crate mostly works for me. Only issue I'm having is I can't select my motherboard, I can change effects fine and even Aura Creator works....sorta. What I did run into when I first built my machine is the Thermaltake case would flat out not work. Months of back and forth and swapped components. Ultimately to get the case to sync up I had to completely remove the Thermaltake controller by getting an ARGB hub and new fans with standard connectors.

Reinstall windows and only install armory crate for asus control software. I was having all kinds of weird aura issues before doing this. Literally every piece of hardware I have is aura snyc compatible and it all working 95%. That 5%, sometimes my mouses led stop reacting and I have to replug it in to reset it. Occasionally the mouse leds not reacting trips up the rest of aura sync, but it goes back to normal after re-plugging the mouse.

also keep in mind crate is still in beta but they are improving it daily.

SilenMar
Level 7
The answer is NO. You will find it easier and much faster just wiping the whole OS.
components in PCPartPicker
Intel 8700K - 5.1GHz core, 5.0GHz cache, 1.37v
EVGA FTW3 1080Ti Hybrid SLI - 2.0GHz core, 12GHz memory
Asus Maximus X Hero
Corsair Dominator 16x4GB - 3000MHz default XMP 15-17-17-35
Fire Strike 36838 Extreme 25250 Ultra 14464

So I was finally able to wipe and reload the OS. I completely wiped the hard drive and reset the BIOS. Now Armoury Crate is up-and-running, it sees (and properly identifies) my Motherboard, Keyboard, Mouse, and Mousepad.

But the G.SKILL Trident Z RAM is still MIA - it is lit and doing the standard rainbow, but Crate doesn't see it even though it is supposed to be compatible with my system.

Any ideas?

An uninstall app will be released in the near future since we can see that there is demand for it.

Sometimes Aura may need to be reinstalled after a display driver update, But you shouldn't need to install Aura anymore. Everything you have is supported in Crate.
In Armoury Crate, please copy and paste the info under Settings>About>App diagnostics>Check

chris_e wrote:
So I was finally able to wipe and reload the OS. I completely wiped the hard drive and reset the BIOS. Now Armoury Crate is up-and-running, it sees (and properly identifies) my Motherboard, Keyboard, Mouse, and Mousepad.

But the G.SKILL Trident Z RAM is still MIA - it is lit and doing the standard rainbow, but Crate doesn't see it even though it is supposed to be compatible with my system.

Any ideas?

chris_e wrote:

Any ideas?

Wait for a few days to let Armoury Crate do its thing. It will do some weird stuff very slowly, who knows.
And give it a HOPE that Armoury Crate will automatically update HAL compatible to G-skill memory.
If it doesn't do **** a week later, your memory is not going to work with Armoury Crate.
But you can still have a little FAITH in the legacy Aura Sync files because there are some old-ass HALs in the extracted folder Lighting_Control_1.07.79\LightingService\aac.
You can manually install only AacSetup.exe for the setup of AURA DRAM Component and hope it works this time.
Remember I've never said you should install legacy Aura Sync or other HALs. Don't blame me if you accidentally install Aura Sync out of ROG ****ing FAITH!
components in PCPartPicker
Intel 8700K - 5.1GHz core, 5.0GHz cache, 1.37v
EVGA FTW3 1080Ti Hybrid SLI - 2.0GHz core, 12GHz memory
Asus Maximus X Hero
Corsair Dominator 16x4GB - 3000MHz default XMP 15-17-17-35
Fire Strike 36838 Extreme 25250 Ultra 14464

I am so over this software and hardware.

When I powered my PC up today, I checked the Armoury Crate settings and found a Crate messaging for the motherboard - "This model is not currently supported."

Crate said that the ASUS HAL Central needed to be updated, it took three tries (with reboots) before it finally stuck. It then updated a couple of other components, but the motherboard is still giving the "not supported" message. How can an ASUS ROG branded product not be supported by ASUS ROG software? This is turning into a load of ****.

Here are the diagnostics logs that were requested by MasterC@ASUS.

Item Version
---- -------
Armoury Crate UWP App 2.7.8.0
ROG Live Service 1.0.28.0
AURA Service (Lighting Service) 3.04.02
Armoury Crate lite service 2.7.10
ASUS AIOFan HAL 1.1.8
ASUS AURA Extension Card HAL 1.0.22
ASUS AURA Motherboard HAL 1.0.64
ASUS Keyboard HAL 1.01.20
ASUS Mouse HAL 1.1.0.17
ASUS MousePad HAL 1.0.2.1
AacVGA 0.0.2.6
KingstonDram 1.0.24
AURA DRAM Component 1.0.42
ENE RGB HAL 1.0.17.0
PHISON HAL 1.0.3.0
Patriot Viper DRAM RGB 1.0.8.2

While I am very frustrated, I do appreciate the help! Thanks!

I can feel your aggravation and disgust about this "AURA" / "Armoury Crate" load of horsesh**. I have a 2018 end of the year model ROG Strix SCAR II. ALL I WANT is the KEYBOARD, Light bar, and LOGO to work. static colors would be fine I DONT CARE about the patterns and all that other stuff. By trying to make it easier to install for noobs they have made it impossible to keep your machine running for longer that a few weeks before something monkey wrenches everything,. "making a uninstaller because you saw the need"...? how could you not know that people would need it when you write the SOFTWARE make it to where you can hit delete on the screen and it in one friggin sweep gets it all. I do put a heavy demand on my computers I/O because I dont play games as much as I move large files around. I cannot keep my external HD/SSD/ RAID connected continuously,,, the drivers have been a problem since the beginning when i had to fresh install the OS to get Pro 64bit to work correctly. I love the technology and all the bells an whistles,,,, IN THE STORE.... but if it means having to essentially redo and reinstall the entire driver and software packge because a new headphone stand that is AURA compatible came out is total bollocks. drivers should written in 1 way or the other. fully insall on their own with you having the ability to not install the things you don't want or even have on your machine. more space taken up by useless garbage that will never get used because its not native to my machine just means more BS to uninstall and the reinstall for it to sit there and not do anything except eat up HD space. The other way is a zip file, with instructions on how to add the switches to the batch file that auto-intalls the drivers based on the switches you selected in the batch file you created using their skeleton. I look in the zips, and see 40 files with 3 to 5 ".exe" files, no read me that tells you anything more that run the batch file,..... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
If i wanted to play whose next in the installation game I would be a programmer. so that is the clue you make a uninstaller,,, when you write software that has to be manually removed to update or change it,,,, i know it did not slip thru un noticed.... the batch file could include call outs to the sub-routines that only install what you need based on the Model number and this way you would insure that the stuff you dont want and the machine will run fine without it never gets installed. that way in a month or less you wont be doing the same dance over again. Barebones batch files "new from ASUS" Only install what you need to have your machine work... WOW what a cool concept... imagine that, a machine that only had drivers installed for the hardware onboard,,,,, hmmmmm that is total crazy talk,,,,, I want 20 different HALs installed for stuff I don't and won't ever own, Also, does anyone else thing the type C connector is a POS design? I admit its nice having smaller cable ends, but not at the expense of the female socket's longevity. That connector is just CRAP CRAP CRAP, if you can use a type a Gen 2 USB3.1, why not have it that way. more robust and less likely to get ruined when your pet get snagged in it and rips the cable out of the socket,,, type A lives, type C,,, prob toast. or it will be the intermittent failure pain in the butt you deal with and there is only 1. they should phase out the type C garbage and just go with a true THUNDERBOLT III that connector is stronger and less prone to damage and failure.
anyway,,,, ASUS guys and girls that make the programs and launchers for the software, PLease think of the larger percentage of people who do not want a disco light show in the machine,,, but a backlit KB is nice an functional. make a no frills installer that keeps it simple and allows you to selt the model you have and it only installs what you have on your machine. PLEASE

thnks

DJ Stephen P
TX USA

chris_e wrote:

When I powered my PC up today, I checked the Armoury Crate settings and found a Crate messaging for the motherboard - "This model is not currently supported."

Crate said that the ASUS HAL Central needed to be updated, it took three tries (with reboots) before it finally stuck. It then updated a couple of other components, but the motherboard is still giving the "not supported" message. How can an ASUS ROG branded product not be supported by ASUS ROG software? This is turning into a load of ****.

Here are the diagnostics logs that were requested by MasterC@ASUS.

Item Version
---- -------
Armoury Crate UWP App 2.7.8.0
ROG Live Service 1.0.28.0
AURA Service (Lighting Service) 3.04.02
Armoury Crate lite service 2.7.10
ASUS AIOFan HAL 1.1.8
ASUS AURA Extension Card HAL 1.0.22
ASUS AURA Motherboard HAL 1.0.64
ASUS Keyboard HAL 1.01.20
ASUS Mouse HAL 1.1.0.17
ASUS MousePad HAL 1.0.2.1
AacVGA 0.0.2.6
KingstonDram 1.0.24
AURA DRAM Component 1.0.42
ENE RGB HAL 1.0.17.0
PHISON HAL 1.0.3.0
Patriot Viper DRAM RGB 1.0.8.2

While I am very frustrated, I do appreciate the help! Thanks!

chris_e wrote:

Got this message today, and it was seemingly caused by the motherboard being detected as something it was not. I found a fix in another thread here.

Power down your computer. Unplug the power supply from the wall. (Or maybe just turn off your power strip.) Try to turn on the computer. (It will fail and lose power of course, but it drains whatever is left of the power supply.) Give it a little more time. Push the power again for good measure. Then plug in and turn the computer on. It's important that you give it a few seconds rather than just plug it back in right away. (I didn't wait the first time and it didn't work.)