cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Expert does not recognize connected fans - Asus Maximus Z960 Hero

Zwaeaehn
Level 7
Since yesterday I have the problem that the fan control does not recognize the fans anymore.

It all started while I was playing.

No heavy load or something
Load: GPU ~100W, CPU ~30W
Temps: GPU ~55°C, CPU ~45°C

My graphics card (ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB OC) started to turn the fans to maximum for a few seconds.

Meanwhile, noises came from the PC that listened to "sizzling".
The whole thing happened twice within a minute.

After that I checked everything but couldn't find anything unusual.
All fans working, no smell or similiar.
After that i made a benchmark with 3DMark to check the graphic card.
Load until 390W / 72°C), no screen issues or something.
Everything works fine, so the graphic card should be fine.

When I started Armoury Crate, the installation program suddenly came instead of the App and then nothing worked anymore.
After an unnecessary reinstallation that was simply started, nothing worked anymore.
The Device page has not loaded anything.
Neither Mainbard, nor graphics card, nor fan expert. -> Always "Error 2005"

After several hours of reinstalling and deleting armoury crate, it's now working again but the fans are not recognized.

Auto Tuning works and also the Buttons for speed works but i have no options for the fan curves.
It says, that there's no fan connected to the fan-controller.

I hope, that this isn't a mainboard (Asus Maximus Z960 Hero) failure.
It's just a month old...

I'm a little bit afraid because of the "sizzling" noises.
For a graphics card of 1500€ and a mainboard of 600€, this would be an absolute disaster.

Here are the Software Versions from the Armoury Crate Diagnostic Window

Item Version
---- -------
Armoury Crate UWP App 5.3.4.0
ROG Live Service 1.6.4.0
Aura Service (Lighting Service) 3.05.78
Armoury Crate lite service 5.3.3
Aura Wallpaper Service Nicht installiert
ASUS AIOFan HAL 1.1.50.0
ASUS AURA Extension Card HAL 1.1.0.18
ASUS AURA Motherboard HAL 1.3.7.0
AacVGA 0.0.5.5
KingstonDram 1.1.12
AURA DRAM Component 1.1.23
ENE RGB HAL 1.1.40.3
ENE_EHD_M2_HAL 1.0.9.12
PHISON HAL 1.0.9.0
Patriot Viper DRAM RGB 1.0.9.4
Patriot Viper M2 SSD RGB 1.1.0.2
Universal Holtek RGB DRAM 1.0.0.3
WD_BLACK AN1500 1.0.14.0

I don't have to mention that Armoury Crate is one of the worst software that I know.

Does anyone know the problem?:(
And please don't say "reinstall Windows", this is absolute nonsense
It works without if you delete the necessary registry entries and the folders.
5 REPLIES 5

rsnelson
Level 9
Are fan speeds reported in the BIOS? Are they reported in another application like OCCT? If the fan speeds are reported are then it may still be a software issue with Crate. If the fan speeds are not reported then it may a hardware issue.

Sizzling noises is not something you want to hear. Check for leaks if your system is water cooled.

Also, when re-installing Crate, did you us the uninstall tool at https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/14Utilities/Armoury_Crate_Uninstall_Tool.zip? This may do additional cleanup that the Crate uninstall program is not doing.

Although I don't think this is the issue it may be good to double check. The mother board fan connections can only support up to 1A current. Make sure this was not exceeded. I would think the fans would not spin up at all if this was exceeded though.

rsnelson wrote:
Are fan speeds reported in the BIOS?

Yes, the fan curves are editable in Bios and Armoury Crate and other software recognizes all rpm's of all connected fans.
So I thought that it might be just a software error.

rsnelson wrote:

Sizzling noises is not something you want to hear. Check for leaks if your system is water cooled.

It's only fan cooled.

I can't explain where these noises came from.
Whether it was the graphics card (because the fans suddenly ran to maximum) or the mainboard or the psu (a new 850 watt be Quiet! Straight power 11)

I only know that the RTX30900 has an unpleasant noise ("similar" like Coil Whining) from a power consumption between 200-250W.
It doesn't sound like coil whening, more like a "sizzling".

It is only strange because at that time when this "sizzling" sound occurred, the power consumtion of the RTX was approximately ~100W.
The whole thing is very strange. :eek:

rsnelson wrote:

Also, when re-installing Crate, did you us the uninstall tool at https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/14Utilities/Armoury_Crate_Uninstall_Tool.zip? This may do additional cleanup that the Crate uninstall program is not doing.

Yes, i used the uninstall tool several times but the bug with the error 2005 was still presence, so i deleted all registry entrys and all asus folders and made a complete new install.

After that the device page worked again except the fan recognition.
Armoury Crate also recognizes all fans on the information page and shows the speed.
But it doesn't work on the device page.
Maybe it's just a software issue.
I mean, how can armoury crate show the fans and rpm's but at the same time say that no fans are connected?

The question is, if the controller on the mainboard were defective, no fans should be recognized, right?:confused:

rsnelson wrote:

Although I don't think this is the issue it may be good to double check. The mother board fan connections can only support up to 1A current. Make sure this was not exceeded. I would think the fans would not spin up at all if this was exceeded though.

My maximum current is ~250mA (2 fans from the cpu cooler Dark Rock Pro 4 on one port).
All other (3) case fans are maximum ~200mA per port.

Zwaeaehn wrote:

The question is, if the controller on the mainboard were defective, no fans should be recognized, right?:confused:

It sounds like a Crate issue given the BIOS and other software can recognize the fan speeds. From what I have read, the Crate uninstaller doesn't do a good job of cleaning up and it sounds like the installer is making some assumptions when re-installing the software. There is probably a plugin that is not getting installed correctly. It sounds like the only way to clean this up is a fresh Windows install.

rsnelson wrote:
It sounds like a Crate issue given the BIOS and other software can recognize the fan speeds. From what I have read, the Crate uninstaller doesn't do a good job of cleaning up and it sounds like the installer is making some assumptions when re-installing the software. There is probably a plugin that is not getting installed correctly. It sounds like the only way to clean this up is a fresh Windows install.

Hi, sry for my late response!

i finally did it!:D
Of course, it was the ****ty Amoury crate software.... .:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Ai Suite didn't work properly either.

Ai Suite also no longer wanted to install itself, has always been canceled with errors.
I had to delete a lot of asus shortcuts in the registry until it finally functioned again.
Shortcuts, that were not removed by AI Suite Cleaner and the Armoury Crate Uninstall Tool.

The Ai Suite Cleaner and the Armoury Crate Uninstall Tool are absolutely **** and don't do their job properly.

After I cleaned the registry manually from all crappy asus stuff, I was finally able to reinstall everything.

A reinstallation of Windows is not necessary, it is only due to the registry entries that are not removed.:cool:

rsnelson
Level 9
I'm curious to know if the FanXpert component is installed in Crate and what versions of components are showing up under it. I've attached the configuration for my PC...