cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to Older Versions of Armoury Crate?

Mr_Hotwire
Level 8
I have a G731GV, Everything "ROG" related was working perfectly, but I needed a refresh to get rid of the 4 years of needless junk on the laptop.

So I downloaded all the drivers and software packages for the laptop after doing a fresh install of Win 10. Now... Armoury Crate will not get past the "Prerequisites Install". Every time I start Armoury Crate, it goes through the install again and wants a reboot. If I tell it to restart later, I can open Armoury Crate (But it takes a LONG TIME), but a lot of the functions do not work.

Is there any way, or anyone who can provide an older version, a version that works.. or a workaround to get this to work? Without it, I am missing out on a lot of the features and functions of the laptop.

Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
Typical advice for Crate issues is to start by running the uninstaller on the product support page, then install again.

As for older versions, ASUS doesn't maintain an archive in general. So unless there is a different version on your product support page (and it sounds like that's where you went) then you have the supported version.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

DarvinAtkeson
Level 7
Mr.Hotwire wrote:
I have a G731GV, Everything "ROG" related was working perfectly, but I needed a refresh to get rid of the 4 years of needless junk on the laptop.

So I downloaded all the drivers and software packages for the laptop after doing a fresh install of Win 10. Now... Armoury Crate will not get past the "Prerequisites Install". Every time I start Armoury Crate, it goes through the install again and wants a reboot. If I tell it to restart later, I can open Armoury Crate (But it takes a LONG TIME), but a lot of the functions do not work.

Is there any way, or anyone who can provide an older version, a version that works.. or a workaround to get this to work? Without it, I am missing out on a lot of the features and functions of the laptop.

Thank you.

No, there seems to be NO WAY to revert to an older version. The ONLY way I was able to go back to a working version of Armory Crate and Aura Creator was to restore to a backup of my system. Thank god I do those fairly regularly as the current Armory Crate is junk on my system. At least the older version works. The biggest problem is that Armory Crate is updated automatically by Windows Updates so on Windows 11 it took some effort to find a way to prevent the update from automatically updating on it's own. Which is why I suspect that they don't give up older, working, versions. Windows would simply detect the old version and download and update to the current version.

I did manage a way to block Armory Crate from updating but so far have not been able to prevent the Aura Create from updating as it breaks in the same way as Armory Crate. (Doesn't detect my Viper Steel RAM's RGB). Very annoying. Especially since it hasn't worked right since I got the system up until the release just before the last one. Then on the last one they not only break Aura Create but Armory Crate which had previously always detected the Viper Steel RAM's RGB.

So I am looking at another system restore and then hopefully I can block Aura Create in a similar way.

What did you do to block Armoury Crate updates? I was successful using a pihole with blocking a bunch of asus-related URLs for a while, but sometime in the last couple of months Armoury Crate found a way to bypass my efforts (maybe by Windows Update? not sure) and self-updated to a version with the newer broken Starry Night animation that looks like garbage. I've scoured the pihole logs since restoring an old backup and I don't see any new asus-related queries despite the update happening again, so I'd greatly appreciate any other methods you've discovered!

W_ill
Level 8

I have uploaded version "Armoury Crate 1.0.3.6 Full Offline Setup" here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tao0t2OajzopvLCJoPET5MA32fG49uJ5/view?usp=drive_link

Any suggestions for a simple, easy (lightweight) solution to block internet access to Armoury Crate (to prevent updates)?