cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Displayport on ASUS R9Fury Strix?

Undermoose
Level 7
I have 2 ASUS R9Fury Strix in Crossfire and have a 4 monitor rig, 3 displays in an Eyefinity config using the 3 display ports and the 4th as a utility monitor.

One monitor in Eyefinity has been flickering from time to time. I see it at the desktop and even during BIOS post booting, but don't notice it in games. I switched where the monitors plug into the card and the problem stayed on the same displayport just above the DVI port, so it's not a monitor issue. It's flickered a half dozen times while writing this. It's consistent.

I can swap the cards next, but thought I'd start this thread as reference. I'll report back.

I'm wondering if I have a bad port on my card...
7 REPLIES 7

Undermoose
Level 7
Wow, another dead R9Fury Strix card?

I already had two cards die: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74625-STRIX-R9FURY-DC3-4G-GAMING-In-CrossFire-FIRE-FIRE-FI...!!!

I just swapped the position of my two current R9Fury Strix in my motherboard, connected the displays to the other card now in the primary PCI slot, and powered up. No flicker now...

The flicker on the previous card stayed with the port, any monitor connected to that port started to flicker, but move to a new card and no flickering. Sure seems like a dud card again 😞

1 our of 4 ain't bad?

Undermoose
Level 7
So I got a replacement card from ASUS (brand new in the box) and popped it into my rig as card 2 in the Crossfire setup. Flash forward end of November until NYE weekend...

I have had a problem where one monitor will drop out of the eyefinity configuration, very intermittent, difficult to know if it's a monitor issue, card issue, driver issue... So I swapped the positions of my two R9 Fury Strix cards in the motherboard and hooked up my monitors to this card that came back as an RMA end of November... BLAM worse displayport flicker than the card it replaced, it was horrible, the middle display port was an utter mess. I immediately called ASUS, got an RMA and a courtesy return FEDEX label.. good thing ASUS stands behind its products... I still need to troubleshoot the Eyefinity dropping a monitor issue when the new card gets back...

This is getting very old. It makes me wish I never bought the R9 Fury Strix as I'm on my fourth RMA. The first two cards simply died within a couple of weeks (I got some from the first batches on Newegg), then a third developed a flickering on a display port, and then its RMA replacement had an even worse flicker on a display port. So far I'm not a happy camper with ASUS R9 Fury Strix quality control.

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Sucks to hear about your experience but these things do happen. I've bought more eVGA graphics cards than ASUS or MSI cards but for all the ASUS graphics cards that I owned, none of them had any issues at all.

There's also the possibility it could be the cable. Right now a lot of people are having issues with the DisplayPort cables so I wouldn't be surprised that it's actually the cable. I read through all your posts and of course it doesn't happen with each card with each DP so of course it seems like it's definitely the card, however something does feel off about this that there "might" be also an issue with the cable as well.

Undermoose
Level 7
It's not the cable, the replacement card the problem was on a different monitor (different cable). They're replacing the card again...

Undermoose
Level 7
Turns out it was the cables LOL.

I had mini display ports on my ASUS GTX680's. So I got mini display port to display port adapters to make them work on my R9Furys.

The problem is both cables and cards though, some cards must just not have been completely tolerant of the adapters, while one card was completely compatible. It's enough to drive you crazy trying to figure that one out.

What finally clued me in was the last RMA. It was working fine, but the other card (one of the original 2 I purchased) was experiencing occasional drop outs from Eyefinity. I figured it was one of the very first production runs, it must have an issue too because the most recent RMA had zero problems. The most recent RMA went days without any drop out from Eyefinity. So I pulled the first card and was going to ship it back and then walla, the new card dropped out of Eyefinity, so at that point rather than ship anything back I bought new cables.

The new Displayport cables were twice as thick as the displayport to mini-displayport cables and of course don't need an adapter to go back to normal displayport.

It's been two weeks. Not a single drop out, no flickers, everything is working.

OK so, it's not all cable, the cards reacted differently on the same cables. However, it was the cables, I am sure had I swapped them out from the start I'd have fixed the problem.

Arghhhh...

Undermoose
Level 7
So. the story continues.

I now have had Eyefinity monitors drop out of the array on the new thick display port cables too. Less often, but it has happened.

To be clear, it never happens when I'm using them, but I have noticed odd desktop behavior that surfaces on a reboot with a dropped out monitor.

I'm going with an Eyefinity issue of some sort, no longer a cable issue, and that means the AMD R9Fury Strix may very well have had display port problems.

No flicker on my current cards so I'm good.

Fact is, Asus replaced the cards, and now I'm sitting in a decent spot.

Thanks Asus.

Undermoose
Level 7
Happened twice more...

Both cards...

Anyone else have monitors drop out of Eyefinity? U2412M Dell... x3