cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus HD7970 Matrix Platinum - Weird screen white flicker lines, barely visible.

Kendu72
Level 7
Hey all, I just built my first system a few days ago and after an arduous build process I got the whole system up and running with no problems. I can run games on my new card flawlessly (nothing newer than Borderlands 2 so far, so I'm getting great performance.

The only issue I'm having is a minor annoyance at best, but whenever I run 3D applications (like Battlefield 3, Kerbal Space Program, and Euro Truck Simulator 2) I'm noticing these weird scan lines but the'yre barely visible, nothing to obscure the image on the screen but enough to slightly distract you. I originally thought these only occured during games but as I'm posting this I'm noting some slight flickering particularly on the text post area. I have a feeling it's the monitor interface (Currently I'm using stock VGA cables that came with the monitor, but since the card has only HDMI and DVI ports, I'm using the stock VGA to DVI adapter.)

Card is currently in single link mode. Nothing in my system is overclocked. My monitor has a 75Hz refresh rate. Currenly through CCC I have defaulted Vsync to always on because I thought it was a screen draw issue (no change before or after). I have updated to beta drivers for CCC (experiencing problem with stable official drivers and beta drivers). I think i should also note there is no system performance tool I'm using, nothing that would stress the card at least since it's been performing so well. Does anyone have any ideas on what to try to correct this issue? Is this something that needs to be RMA'd or is this most likely a cable/cable adapter issue?

Any advice is appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

Zka17
Level 16
Welcome to the ROG Forum!

Try changing the ports on the graphics card... if you have the possibility, it would be also worth to try other monitor cable...

These Matrix Platinum cards are reported a lot for having some glitches during gaming... not sure if it's actually about the cards or the games/drivers - I could not reproduce any of those problems...

However, I just read somewhere on this Forum about slightly raising the VMEM voltage in GPU Tweak... I think it would worth a shot... - but figuring out the cables and connectors are more important for you right now...

Thank you for your input. My priority will be to try a different monitor cable as soon as I can, though I'll keep the VMEM tweak in mind. I'll update this post when I try something different.

Zka17 wrote:
Welcome to the ROG Forum!

Try changing the ports on the graphics card... if you have the possibility, it would be also worth to try other monitor cable...

These Matrix Platinum cards are reported a lot for having some glitches during gaming... not sure if it's actually about the cards or the games/drivers - I could not reproduce any of those problems...

However, I just read somewhere on this Forum about slightly raising the VMEM voltage in GPU Tweak... I think it would worth a shot... - but figuring out the cables and connectors are more important for you right now...