cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B650E-E - Some rear I/O USB ports non-functional

Saturnine
Level 9
I recently got a b650e-e system set up, and noticed that some of my USB devices weren't working. Normal troubleshooting, I just unplug and replug somewhere else - worked - good to go, moving on.

But lately, as I've added more devices occasionally or moved things around, that certain USB ports just will not work regardless of the device I plug in. I'm on the latest chipset drivers, BIOS is on the 11/18 release, but the USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A ports labelled E1, E2, and 3 (Also, why this naming pattern?!?) all do not work. Haven't had the chance to confirm if the USB-C in the same column has the same issue. (If you're looking at the B650e-e's manual - this is page 2-22, and is the first column of USB ports after the HDMI and DP ports)

What's the deal here? The USB controller for these ports is installed and not reporting issues, and all USB ports with these labels are listed and marked active in the BIOS. Anyone else on this motherboard with this issue?
57 REPLIES 57

Mazbury
Level 8
Saturnine wrote:
I recently got a b650e-e system set up, and noticed that some of my USB devices weren't working. Normal troubleshooting, I just unplug and replug somewhere else - worked - good to go, moving on.

But lately, as I've added more devices occasionally or moved things around, that certain USB ports just will not work regardless of the device I plug in. I'm on the latest chipset drivers, BIOS is on the 11/18 release, but the USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A ports labelled E1, E2, and 3 (Also, why this naming pattern?!?) all do not work. Haven't had the chance to confirm if the USB-C in the same column has the same issue. (If you're looking at the B650e-e's manual - this is page 2-22, and is the first column of USB ports after the HDMI and DP ports)

What's the deal here? The USB controller for these ports is installed and not reporting issues, and all USB ports with these labels are listed and marked active in the BIOS. Anyone else on this motherboard with this issue?

Hi, I have the B650e e gaming wifi with that bios 0821 release date 11/18/2022 will check mine tonight when I get back, something else I notice last night with this bios is that the PBO settings to lock the 7600/7700x to 65 watts no longer works with this 0821 bios, don't know if we can roll back to an earlier release might be worth a try.

Will post again later when I've checked mine.

Thanks
Chris

Mazbury wrote:
Hi, I have the B650e e gaming wifi with that bios 0821 release date 11/18/2022 will check mine tonight when I get back, something else I notice last night with this bios is that the PBO settings to lock the 7600/7700x to 65 watts no longer works with this 0821 bios, don't know if we can roll back to an earlier release might be worth a try.

Will post again later when I've checked mine.

Thanks
Chris

Hi, Just a quick update I have my keyboard and mouse plugged into the USB 3.2 gen 2 type A ports E1 and E2 and have no issues, don't know if it's worth trying to install the chipset drivers again I have version 4.11.15.342 installed. https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am5/b650e

I'm trying to help you are you sure that all the boxes were checked when you installed the chipset drivers (all 7 of them), other than that, can you check the usb devices your plugging in on another computer to rule out intermitant connections (damaged / pinched cables ) and that they are all working correctly.

If your still getting issues and you have checked everything else maybe your motherboard has developed a fault and you might have to RMA it.

Also the 65 watt eco mode has been moved in the lastest bios 0821 to AI Tweaker and you can just select it there rather than going into AMD overclocking, precision boost overdrive and entering the numbers, it does work so I was wrong about it not working.

This is My build and it's pretty stable, bios 0821 seems the best so far, was getting cold boot issues with 0613.

Ryzen 7600x eco 65watt
Asus b650e-e gaming wifi
kingston Fury Beast KF560C40BBK2 running DOCP I @ 6000Mhz
Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Thanks
Chris

Mazbury wrote:
Hi, Just a quick update I have my keyboard and mouse plugged into the USB 3.2 gen 2 type A ports E1 and E2 and have no issues, don't know if it's worth trying to install the chipset drivers again I have version 4.11.15.342 installed. https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am5/b650e

I'm trying to help you are you sure that all the boxes were checked when you installed the chipset drivers (all 7 of them), other than that, can you check the usb devices your plugging in on another computer to rule out intermitant connections (damaged / pinched cables ) and that they are all working correctly.

If your still getting issues and you have checked everything else maybe your motherboard has developed a fault and you might have to RMA it.

Also the 65 watt eco mode has been moved in the lastest bios 0821 to AI Tweaker and you can just select it there rather than going into AMD overclocking, precision boost overdrive and entering the numbers, it does work so I was wrong about it not working.

This is My build and it's pretty stable, bios 0821 seems the best so far, was getting cold boot issues with 0613.

Ryzen 7600x eco 65watt
Asus b650e-e gaming wifi
kingston Fury Beast KF560C40BBK2 running DOCP I @ 6000Mhz
Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Thanks
Chris

Thanks for the detailed reply Chris! Sorry for the long wait in getting back to you, I wanted to be confident that I hadn't missed something too obvious. 🙂

I did install all the chipset drivers, and I have reinstalled them in the time since your reply, with several full system reboots in the meanwhile. I have tried everything from external hard drives, to keyboards, to yubikeys in the problem USB ports.

All of the devices I have tried, pre or post-chipset and other drivers, work immediately in the 'lower' ports, but will not work no matter when or what in the 'upper' problem ports.

My suspicion is also that this motherboard is bad somehow - but I hate the idea of dealing with motherboard troubleshooting and the RMA process. I do not want to completely disassemble and reassemble my computer several times to deal with it. 😞 Lacking the tools and ability to repair a motherboard though, I understand that I may not have a choice if I want these ports functional. What gets me the most is that - from all I can discern, the USB controllers for these ports are listed in the device manager (there are extras in the screenshot from an external hub), and the ports are listed in the BIOS, but they simply are not recognizing any devices plugged in in the end.

https://i.imgur.com/LZbTtCT.png

It'd be great to have some other solution, but it seems I may simply be down several ports until/unless I decide to RMA - but at that point it's hard not to justify just getting something else entirely.

Hello,

I have the same MB and I'm facing this exact issue, the USBs near the upper USB C are not working, no matter the BIOS version I use. Also tried to load default settings, no luck either.

My rig is:
7700X, 32Gb RAM, B650E-E ROG, RX 7900 XTX.

I had the exact same issue but mine was faulty on the standard USB middle plug notice it was causeing a bunch of static noise cause I am a dj. I also noticed the alc 4080 drivers cause a delay. I ended up returning the board and getting a MSI b650 edge. It's noticable slower. So I may return that go back to the Asus board again. The guy told me I probably just got a faulty board. But now that I am seeing this more then just one obviously something is off in manufacturing of this board maybe I won't go back to it.

FredFlint
Level 8
Hi,
I have this MB (B650E-E). I am using all the top USB’s next to the top type-C and the Type-C and some of the lower ports. I been using this a few months now and have not had any issues with USB, yet. My last MB, I had to move things around to get everything working but not this.
My Spec:
ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI (BIOS 1222)
7950X
32GB 5600 RAM
1TB WBSN850X (top m.2 slot)
2TB Force 510 2TB (second slot down)
3 SATA SSD’s
SoundBlaster Z (bottom slot)
I did try and backup some data to an old Samsung 1TB external HDD and was only getting 10MB/s no matter which port I used but other external drives worked fine.

By the way, there is a new BIOS Firmware (BIOS 1222), I tried updating, no luck regarding the upper USB ports.

LEK
Level 9

Hey, i have exactly the same problem.. do you find a solution?

No solution yet. 😞 Still non functional on half the usb ports