cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading from CH6 to CH7

syldon
Level 9
I am interested in opinions on the benefits of upgrading to the CH7 from the CH6. I have followed the OCers forum posts. People discuss fixes and problems of the board, but no one has yet made an early opinion of the benefits to the upgrade. I am well aware any upgrades will be minor, and very much just throwing cash at a toy.

I bought the board when it was originally released. Unfortunately, it was a dud that could not get past qcode error 8. I had an 1800x and an 2700x to test on it, along with enough savvy from the last years ownership of the CH6 to know it was a knacker. It has since been RMAed and refunded.

I know the CH7 will have lower VRM temps. I am hoping this migrates to better OCing on both CPU and memory. This is probably what I am after most. A back to back comparison from someone who owned a CH6 prior to the CH7.

I can see the board isn't any easier to set up than the CH6 was from posts I have read. The CH7 also has some of the same issues (pci lane allocation failings etc). I have enjoyed the fight with the CH6 over the last year, sadistic as that may sound. RL has stopped me gaming till I finish work maybe later this year. OCing is an easier pastime, and the PC does the work for you 🙂

ATM I have the 2700x in the CH6. It is far from stable. I am waiting for the next revision release, hopefully it is better than 6101. But at least the memory is back to 3466. It fails on stability testing, but hasn't crashed on me yet. So I will leave it as is until the next release.

I have no doubt that I will buy the CH7 again in a month's time, and probably regardless of what is posted here. But it would be nice to have an expectation of what to expect in difference. I am going to wait a month, I want to let the second wave of stock to come in, with hopefully no teething issue.

15 REPLIES 15

gupsterg
Level 13
I don't think the VRM setup difference is valid reason to upgrade from C6H to C7H. I do not think the lowered temperatures would allow greater OC potential in our usual user situations.

Ryzen is limited on OC aspect just due to how it is IMO. Both boards are far in excess for anyone's need for 24/7 usage OC setups IMO. The boards are catered for LN2, so can pull the full potential from silicon.

All that will happen IMO is due to lower temperatures the VRM will operate more efficiently. Have headroom to provide more power, which essentially it can anyhow even on C6H. Below is P95, 22hr run on air cooled rig with all side panels, no change of pads of PCH/VRM or extra directed fans in areas, ~22C room ambient.

~54C max seen in HWINFO the VRM can take in it's sleep as to say.

Precision Boost Overide options is in C6H, just like C7H. So a Gen 2 Ryzen owner even on C6H has same options available.

Stealth mode, a feature on C7H to turn off onboard LEDs, Q-Code, etc is also now on C6H.

All I see at present is that C7H has 2 M.2 slots vs 1 on C6H, but then the C6H has 8 SATA vs 6 of C7H.

The factory installed IO shield is not biggie to take into account to change from C6H to C7H IMO.

TBH I think by ASUS giving UEFI options of C7H on C6H there is little to no point to change from C6H to C7H. To me still the C6H is deserving of being called the flagship Ryzen motherboard.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Rares
Level 7
Well, according to Elmor:

Key highlights:

- CPU/SOC VRM reconfigured to 10+2 and upgraded to IR3555 Power Stages. Additionally the SOC phases are placed between the CPU phases for lower temperatures.

- Supports Asynchronous eCLK mode, which allows you to overclock the CPU reference clock independently from Fabric/DRAM and PCI-E.

- Performance Enhancer option can increase or disable XFR power and current limits allowing you to boost higher and longer. Together with reference clock adjustments this means you can get up to ~4.5 GHz in single threaded loads and 4.2-4.3 GHz in multi threaded. @The Stilt is the original author of this function.

- Much improved voltage monitoring both in software and at ProbeIt points with differential sensing for CPU Core Voltage, CPU SOC Voltage, DRAM Voltage and EPS12V.

- Stealth mode which easily disables Aura and on-board LEDs completely, including the power button and Q-Code display.

---

As it for me there's a huge leap over my previous configuration: Asrock Falal1ty K4 X370 and Ryzen 1700. With the old mobo I wasn't able to reach a stable configuration with memories over 2933 MHz (G.Skill FlareX 3200). Now, with my CH7 and Ryzen 2700x with the same memory kit I was able to oc passed 3500 MHz, stable with CL14-14-14-34 CR with 1.4v. For me is it a huge win.

My rock stable config: Ryzen 2700x all cores @ 4.15 GHz (40x103.4) - 1.285v, RAM @ 3566 MHz, CL14-14-14-34 CR1 with 1.4v

gupsterg
Level 13
I can understand your point Rares. But in the context of OP/thread title no I don't see it.

eCLK, PE, Stealth mode is all available on C6H.

Yes ProbeIt points are improved on C7H, alot of owners would never even use them TBH. I've encoutered many which when asked to check with a DMM x voltage they state don't have one and wouldn't know how to use. The problem with software monitoring is some stick to say default polling interval in HWINFO and even on C7H this seems to lead to some inaccuracy.

You can also use ASUS ZenStates on C6H to change Q-Code display to be TDIE, this can also be done on C7H.

I swapped my RAM from TR+ZE to R7+C6H yesterday. To see if the 4.0GHz 3400MHz C15 1T profile would hold with 4x8GB instead of 2x8GB. I swapped from F4-3200C14D-16GTZ to F4-3200C14Q-32GVK. Essentially the same RAM.

The C6H posted without issue. I ran HCI Memtest v6.0 and quickly had 1 error. I increased SOC from 1.031V to 1.037V and passed ~2hrs HCI. I proceeded to P95 8K 4096K 27GB custom setup. I kept having freezes, I tried stepping up SOC/VDIMM and it helped (1.05V/1.37V). Then I thought what if I don't need the increases and just need a change of resistance. I changed to 60 ohms ProcODT instead of 53.3 ohms, hey presto I was back at 1.037V SOC and 1.365V VDIMM in UEFI.

IMO if I saw a C6H being sold off cheap to clear stock in etailer and was deciding between it and purchase of C7H, I'd get the C6H 😉 .
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Syaoran
Level 7
There is no reason to upgrade from the CH6 to the CH7 unless you have money to burn. They are identical in a lot of ways and also have very similar problems as well. If you were switching to another board line that offered something the CH6 or CH7 didn't have, then it would be recommended to get the newer X470 over the X370 unless there was a significant price difference. The Ryzen 2xxx's and X470's are basically just a revision to further tap the last 5% or so potential. The X570's and Ryzen 3xxx processors should be a much more worth while upgrade when they come out next year.
Syaoran

Big_Gray
Level 8
syldon wrote:
I am interested in opinions on the benefits of upgrading to the CH7 from the CH6. I have followed the OCers forum posts. People discuss fixes and problems of the board, but no one has yet made an early opinion of the benefits to the upgrade. I am well aware any upgrades will be minor, and very much just throwing cash at a toy.

I bought the board when it was originally released. Unfortunately, it was a dud that could not get past qcode error 8. I had an 1800x and an 2700x to test on it, along with enough savvy from the last years ownership of the CH6 to know it was a knacker. It has since been RMAed and refunded.

I know the CH7 will have lower VRM temps. I am hoping this migrates to better OCing on both CPU and memory. This is probably what I am after most. A back to back comparison from someone who owned a CH6 prior to the CH7.

I can see the board isn't any easier to set up than the CH6 was from posts I have read. The CH7 also has some of the same issues (pci lane allocation failings etc). I have enjoyed the fight with the CH6 over the last year, sadistic as that may sound. RL has stopped me gaming till I finish work maybe later this year. OCing is an easier pastime, and the PC does the work for you 🙂

ATM I have the 2700x in the CH6. It is far from stable. I am waiting for the next revision release, hopefully it is better than 6101. But at least the memory is back to 3466. It fails on stability testing, but hasn't crashed on me yet. So I will leave it as is until the next release.

I have no doubt that I will buy the CH7 again in a month's time, and probably regardless of what is posted here. But it would be nice to have an expectation of what to expect in difference. I am going to wait a month, I want to let the second wave of stock to come in, with hopefully no teething issue.

Hey Syldon

IMO there are some small, but worthwhile, improvements in CH7 and I was thinking about getting one myself. There are rumours though about a Z490 chipset being released very soon. Might be worth waiting a little longer to see what develops.

I have answered this post three times now, but the site keeps crashing out on my posting. I even copied the text to a txt file in case in crashed out a second time and saw a successful post. I am stunned it has gone.

Again I appreciate the responses. Along with the effort to supply pics.

@gupsterg
The heat from the VRM is fairly neglectable. The most I am reading on the CH6 with a 2700x is 45c under load (infra-red thermometer). But I still think it will help a little just not a lot. No one has posted temps of the VRMs using a 2700x on the CH7 yet.

The second M2 slot is of no use to me. Using it pushes the PCI-e slot 1 to X8 if I have it right. So I wouldn't use a second M2 drive for that reason. I have an SLI set up atm, which means I am on X8 now. I am waiting for the next GPU releases before I upgrade to a single card though. Rumours of a July release of the next Nvidia has me drooling. Cynicism makes me think that November will be the earliest if at all.

I think the biggest benefit of the CH7 is the additional ceramic capacitors, as stated by Elmor. This should give better power distribution around the board and I would hope give a more stable set up than the CH6 resulting in higher IF link benefits. I honestly thought we would see some fps outputs for settings above 3200 by now. Reviewers you are missing an opportunity.

@Rares

What do you mean by rock stable. How did you test. I run 3466. It doesn't crash on me, but fails in stability tests. Which probably means if I try to load it up to the max at some point I will crash and burn, but for day to day use I am getting away with it.

Do you have a bios txt dump of your setting or the stilts out put tool screenie?

@Syaoran

We all like to play, sometimes that is all it is.

@Big_Gray

I was under the impression that Ryzen was 24 pci lanes and all were used up on x370 and x470 boards. In either 8+8+4+4 or 16+4+4. So to have more pci lanes would mean a new Ryzen chipset also. I also thought the 490 was going to be Threadripper 2.0 boards.

Do you have a link where I can read up on what you have read so far ?

Editted formatting. I gave up on checking. I didn't expect it to accept the post.

syldon wrote:

@Big_Gray

I was under the impression that Ryzen was 24 pci lanes and all were used up on x370 and x470 boards. In either 8+8+4+4 or 16+4+4. So to have more pci lanes would mean a new Ryzen chipset also. I also thought the 490 was going to be Threadripper 2.0 boards.

Do you have a link where I can read up on what you have read so far ?

No details available on the Z490 yet. Here is a link to one of the many articles regarding the roadmap leak.

https://wccftech.com/intel-amd-chipset-roadmap-z490-z390-x399r-b450-8-core-cpus-reveal/

Big_Gray wrote:
No details available on the Z490 yet. Here is a link to one of the many articles regarding the roadmap leak.

https://wccftech.com/intel-amd-chipset-roadmap-z490-z390-x399r-b450-8-core-cpus-reveal/

I can wait till July. Thanks for the heads up.

Big_Gray wrote:

Damnit! Now I want to hold off on buying a new board! 😛
Syaoran