cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated BIOS and issues followed

Bowzaa
Level 7
Hello ROG forum, I bought an ASUS board for the first time ever about a month ago. My first experience so far hasn't been the greatest personally (my M.2 screws did not come in the box or in the board, ASUS would not send a replacement nor would Newegg), and on top of that, my OC settings reset recently.

I'm running this current setup:
CPU: Ryzen 1500x@3.5GHz (3.8 previously, stable for a month) Stock Cooler
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8 3000MHz (Currently running at 2133, this is where my biggest issue is)
MOBO: Asus Crosshair VI X370 Non-WiFi
GPU: XFX R9 390 8GB DD Black
PSU: Fractal Design Tesla 650W 80+ Gold

After a reboot, I saw that my OC settings reset. I spent over an hour trying to get it back to no avail, so I cleared CMOS and after verifying everything was set to default, I updated the BIOS to 3008(?) or whatever the current latest one is as of 12/24/2017

Now, whenever I reboot, I get a memory error. No matter what setting I use for the RAM, it always says something along the lines of 'Your memory settings were reset due to a failure to boot', even if I click 'Load optimized defaults' or reset CMOS. My RAM is now stuck at 2133MHz and my CPU at 3.5GHz, even after 2 hours of troubleshooting. I really don't want to have to flash the BIOS back to the previous revision (1501) as people are saying the current build allows my RAM to reach close to it's advertised speed, which I really want since this is a Ryzen system. I've attached Thaiphoon burner stats on my RAM

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I'm at wits end here and about to just trash the board and go back to MSI, which never gave me issues in the past. At least then I might get my M.2 screws as well :s
2 REPLIES 2

elmor
Level 10
You can't overclock only CPU while keeping DRAM at 2133?

Perhaps you can try your luck on 3101? Several users have reported back that they have better luck with DRAM overclocking on it.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91766-Crosshair-VI-Hero-UEFI-build-update-thread&viewfull=...

elmor wrote:
You can't overclock only CPU while keeping DRAM at 2133?

Perhaps you can try your luck on 3101? Several users have reported back that they have better luck with DRAM overclocking on it.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91766-Crosshair-VI-Hero-UEFI-build-update-thread&viewfull=...

Nope. It wont stick and while CPU-Z sees 3.8GHz, Windows sees 3.5GHz and so does Cinebench. On top of that, my Cinebench score drops from 870 to 630. Even stock speed doesn't do that bad under normal circumstances. I'll try 3101 tonight and report back.

Edit: It seems to be working! I ran two cinebench tests, scoring 862, and Speccy/CPU-Z see my RAM as 1463MHz (2926MHz). I'll see how this runs for now and update in a few days.