cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TUF GAMING X570-PRO WIFI II - Slow Wifi

swerd
Level 7

Hi everyone,

I have a TUF GAMING X570-PRO WIFI II mobo and the onboard Wifi is very slow.

I am getting about half the speeds I get on my laptop.

I am using the latest driver.

Is there anything I can do? Or should I connect via ethernet?

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4

Murph_9000
Level 14

Do you have your antenna connected to the board?  The antenna is mandatory for good performance.

Ethernet is generally always the better choice if it's practical and reasonable to run a cable to your router.  It's lower latency than WiFi, and gives consistent and predictable performance.  WiFi is subject to attenuation, congestion, and interference; all of which compound together to significantly reduce the speed below the headline speed that the card & router could theoretically achieve.  Your 2x2 AXE WiFi card on your motherboard has a headline speed of 2402 Mbps on 5 GHz with a 160MHz channel (or 1201 Mbps with a 80 MHz channel), but that requires perfect conditions and is only half-duplex (i.e. can't transmit and receive simultaneously).  Your 2.5G Ethernet port is 2500 Mbps full duplex (i.e. it can theoretically do 2500+2500 RX+TX simultaneously) and should hit that speed every time (if there's something on the far end which can generate that much traffic).

The antenna is connected and on my desktop.

I am getting half the speeds I get on my (Intel chip) laptop (also on Wifi).

Murph_9000
Level 14

Depending on which "latest driver" you have, there may be a newer driver you could try.  Your board's downloads page has 3.3.0.525, but you can get 3.3.0.771 from MoKiChU's [DRIVERS] AMD|MediaTek WiFi/Bluetooth page.  It's possible you may already have that via Windows Update, I'm not certain what version it might offer for the RZ608 / MT7921K.

Thanks for your reply. I have the 3.3.0.771 driver already.