cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryzen 2700X + Crosshair VII Hero and some RAM issues.

Cloud007
Level 7
Hey guys,

Since last Friday I'm a proud owner of both the Ryzen 2700X cpu and a Crosshair VII Hero mainboard. Everything runs quiet and smooth with one exception:

My ram won't work with more than 2133 MHz.

I'm using this RAM: G.skill F4-3200C16D-32GVK with 2x 16 GiB and 3200 MHz @ 16-18-18-38. However neither auto overclocking nor manual oc will get me even to 2400 MHz. My mainboard bios is up to date.

Any thoughts? I already resetted my bios settings, added more voltage than specified and entered ludicrous slow timings, but there is no way to get the ram working with more than 2133 MHz. Using only one stick or changing the slots won't get my any further too.

Regards
Cloud
8 REPLIES 8

Syaoran
Level 7
You should have done some reading here before buying any of the AM4 Crosshair boards. RAM compatibility is very hit and miss and that changes with each BIOS update. These boards require more voltage for your RAM to even consider being stable. Set your RAM Vboot to 1.4v and consider setting your RAM to that at a minimum as well. 32GB of RAM seems to be another issue. I haven't looked up your RAM but most high density sticks are dual rank, which will usually force you to use 2T over 1T for your RAM on any of the AM4 Crosshair boards.

If that doesn't get you there. You are basically stuck waiting for a newer BIOS to see if that helps. The quick solution is to either exchange your RAM for something more commonly used, supported, and on the Asus QVL list or look to Gigabyte, MSI, or another board manufacture for a better experience.
Syaoran

BlackBishop
Level 7
F4-3200C16D-32GVK is dual rank hynix MFR which is double problem. Most likely you will have to spend some time with finding proper settings (procODT, RTT, DRAM voltage, SOC voltage and of course timings).

sbakic
Level 7
Both statements up are not true for ryzen I have F4-3200C14D-32GTZ which is B-die and it works with 3200mhz cas 14 with good timings (with cmd 1T), AIDA64 read = write = copy 49.9GB/s with latency 70.5ns. with Hynix there could be problem but not as big as they mentioned up.

I will use same RAM for C7H WIFI and 2700x not sure whether I will have any problems.

sbakic wrote:
Both statements up are not true for ryzen I have F4-3200C14D-32GTZ which is B-die and it works with 3200mhz cas 14 with good timings (with cmd 1T), AIDA64 read = write = copy 49.9GB/s with latency 70.5ns. with Hynix there could be problem but not as big as they mentioned up.

I will use same RAM for C7H WIFI and 2700x not sure whether I will have any problems.

I would appreciate if you could follow-up on this once you get around updating to the mentioned CPU/MB as I am looking at the same scenario (wanting to use 3200CL14 DIMMS for 32GB total, yet unsure which sticks to buy and how to best set them up for ideal performance).

Well, dont know exactly why my cpu is boosting up to 4.741 even on all cores... and 4.45 most of the time when boosting.

Also manage to get the RAM to work at 3600mhz

16-16-16-16-35-58 2T 1.425v till now it seems stable.

neikosr0x wrote:
Well, dont know exactly why my cpu is boosting up to 4.741 even on all cores... and 4.45 most of the time when boosting.

Also manage to get the RAM to work at 3600mhz

16-16-16-16-35-58 2T 1.425v till now it seems stable.

You might have better performance with the memory at a lower clock. You should read this article: https://www.io-tech.fi/artikkelit/ddr4-muistinopeus-ryzen-2n-suorituskyky/

danjw wrote:
You might have better performance with the memory at a lower clock. You should read this article: https://www.io-tech.fi/artikkelit/ddr4-muistinopeus-ryzen-2n-suorituskyky/

yeap. im still tweaking the memory i did manage to get it stable at last lol @3600.

danjw
Level 10
As far as the RAM, it maybe better at lower speed, tighter timings. You should checkout this article: https://www.io-tech.fi/artikkelit/ddr4-muistinopeus-ryzen-2n-suorituskyky/