cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-FI) BIOS Stability Settings with BIOS 4402

Cos
Level 7

When updating to BIOS 4402, I encountered several issues with system stability - so I wanted to share with everyone the settings I landed on that brought stability back to my system -- without compromising on performance.

The issues I was having included black screen requiring hard reboot after being away from the machine and screen freezing with no cursor or keyboard response. To further complicate things - there was no event logging to support troubleshooting or tracking down any hardware related issues.

System Hardware:

• ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-FI) - running BIOS 4402
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
  • CORSAIR H150I Pro AIO
  • CORSAIR Vengeance RGB RT 128GB (4 x 32GB) (PC4 28800) Model CMN128GX4M4Z3600C18
  • ROG Strix RTX 3090
  • Samsung 980 Pro with Heatsink 2TB (boot drive - other drives not listed)
  • CORSAIR AX1600I Power Supply

Steps to mimic my settings:

• Enter the BIOS > Exit Menu > Load Optimized Defaults
  • Extreme Tweaker Menu
  • > Overclock Tuner > D.O.C.P. > D.O.C.P. Standard  (This is to get the benefit of the faster memory timings)
  • > CPU SOC Voltage > Manual
  • >> VDDSOC Voltage Override > 1.15000   (This is because I was noticing voltage dips below recommend)
  • > DRAM Voltage > 1.36000 (This is because I was noticing voltage dips below the 1.35 DOCP setting - refer to your memory!)
  • Advanced Menu > AMD CBS > CPU Common Options > Global C-State Control > Disabled

Other unrelated BIOS settings I have modified from default:

For Graphic Card Support:

• Resizable BAR enabled (using the control on the top righthand side of the bios setting menu)
  • - You can verify this setting is enabled within the NVidia control panel.

For Windows 11 Security Support:

• Advanced Menu > CPU Configuration > SVM Mode > Enabled
  • Advanced Menu > AMD fTPM > Enable Descrete or Firmware TPM -- Your choice which to use
  • Boot > Secure Boot > OS Type > Windows UEFI Mode
  • After boot, check the Windows Security Panel - some items may need to be toggled on and require a reboot.
  • These should enable Core Isolation, Security Processor, Secure Boot, and Data Encryption for Enhanced Security.

Within windows I also run the High Performance Power Setting: Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options

Once you reach a stable setting, dont forget you can save those BIOS settings using the instructions found here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1046388/

I hope this helps others move back towards a stable system and gain the benefits of the latest BIOS update.

-Cos

2 REPLIES 2

littlebloke
Level 7

Hey Cos,
Thanks for this!

I'm running on a Dark Hero with the same CPU and recently started having the occational lock up and very rarely a shut down!... like poof, off!

Now my system has been rock solid for years now and although Falcon had suggested that it could be ram-incompatability, and i do indeed see an orange Q-LED when the system freezes, its only recently started happening. Someone else also reported the same.

I've made a few tweaks on the system as you indicate and hopefully will reduce or eradicate this issue. 

Note i'm running a 6900XT rather than an NVIDIA:

• ROG Crosshair Dark Hero - running BIOS 4402
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
  • CORSAIR H150I Pro AIO
  • Team Group 8Pack Edition 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit Model TDPPD432G3600HC16GDC01
  • AMD 6900XT
  • Solidigm P44 Pro (1TB & 2TB)
  • CORSAIR AX750i Power Supply

I've noticed that I'm getting small dips and spikes in my RAM voltage. As i mentioned before, I've increased the Voltage to compensate. and my system seems to be more stable now. The voltage changes in the RAM may not seem to be much but I imagine it could be enough to make the system unsable. From my current setting of 1.36 volts I am recording the voltage varying from 1.368 to 1.352. The two images show the spikes and dips in action and a third shows that there are some periods of stability. 

DRAM Voltage spikes - when CPU idleDRAM Voltage spikes - when CPU idleDRAM Voltage mostly stable - when idleDRAM Voltage mostly stable - when idleDRAM voltage dips - when CPU busyDRAM voltage dips - when CPU busy

I imagine this could be the cause of some of my issues, can anyone verify the same?