cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog Crosshair VII PCI-E Dead

rafaelfborges
Level 7
Hi, I'm an unfortunate Asus ROG user right now. Yes, I am very frustrated, upset and I will explain. My Rog Crosshair VII's PCI-E slot simply stopped working properly. Since I bought it, in three moments I had problems where the speed of the slot dropped to 8x, however, every time I took out my GTX 1060, cleaned the contacts and returned to 16x normally. A few weeks ago, it happened again, I did the same procedure and this time it didn't work. To note that the problem was not my video card, I tested other models that I have kept here (8600GT, GTX 570, GTX 770) and I also tested a borrowed RX580. Apparently, the main slot (16 / 8x_1) no longer recognizes PCI-E 1.1 and 2.0 video cards (8600GT and GTX 570), it only recognizes PCI-E 3.0 cards limited to 8x (GTX 770, GTX 1060, RX 580). In the other slots, everything works normal, recognizes all the cards, but they are limited speed slots. I am an advanced user, I know that the main slot is directly connected to the CPU, unlike the other slots that pass through the PCH, so I resorted to the processor test on another motherboard and everything worked normally too... That is, there is no defects or problems with my processor and video card! By the time the problems happened, I had been with BIOS Version 2901 for a long time, I tried to update to the latest version 3004 and also revert to version 1201, I tried several options forcing the slot speed to 16x and it doesn't work. I don't use M.2 disks, all tests were done only with the motherboard, memory, video card and power supply (Two power supply were tested). At this point, I have already concluded and I am absolutely convinced that the problem is the motherboard.

Now comes the worst of all problems, I tried to activate the RMA, but I live in Brazil. I know that Asus global RMA is 3 years old as stated on the official website, I bought my motherboard 1 year and 10 months ago from an official reseller of the products here, so I should be eligible to send the card to RMA. But I found out in the worst way, that whoever imports and distributes the products (Asus Brasil), has warranty policies totally different from the global standard, in this case, I have only 1 year warranty from the purchase. And you know what is most inconsistent? Asus video cards sold here, any model, have a 3-year warranty and this is only because the warranty is written on the box, so they are forced by the Brazilian law to exchange the product in this case, as in the ROG box no has warranty information, so I only have 1 year warranty.

I do not know what to do! Here in Brazil this card costs us, the same as you would pay for an iPhone in your respective countries. I am a humble person, I worked hard to build my dream PC and that happens.

I would like to hear your opinion, what can I do? My great desire is to burn and throw it in the trash.

ps: The date of the bios in the image is 2017, but that's why I reset the BIOS and didn't adjust it correctly.
3 REPLIES 3

fredepf
Level 7
rafaelfborges wrote:
Hi, I'm an unfortunate Asus ROG user right now. Yes, I am very frustrated, upset and I will explain. My Rog Crosshair VII's PCI-E slot simply stopped working properly. Since I bought it, in three moments I had problems where the speed of the slot dropped to 8x, however, every time I took out my GTX 1060, cleaned the contacts and returned to 16x normally. A few weeks ago, it happened again, I did the same procedure and this time it didn't work. To note that the problem was not my video card, I tested other models that I have kept here (8600GT, GTX 570, GTX 770) and I also tested a borrowed RX580. Apparently, the main slot (16 / 8x_1) no longer recognizes PCI-E 1.1 and 2.0 video cards (8600GT and GTX 570), it only recognizes PCI-E 3.0 cards limited to 8x (GTX 770, GTX 1060, RX 580). In the other slots, everything works normal, recognizes all the cards, but they are limited speed slots. I am an advanced user, I know that the main slot is directly connected to the CPU, unlike the other slots that pass through the PCH, so I resorted to the processor test on another motherboard and everything worked normally too... That is, there is no defects or problems with my processor and video card! By the time the problems happened, I had been with BIOS Version 2901 for a long time, I tried to update to the latest version 3004 and also revert to version 1201, I tried several options forcing the slot speed to 16x and it doesn't work. I don't use M.2 disks, all tests were done only with the motherboard, memory, video card and power supply (Two power supply were tested). At this point, I have already concluded and I am absolutely convinced that the problem is the motherboard.

Now comes the worst of all problems, I tried to activate the RMA, but I live in Brazil. I know that Asus global RMA is 3 years old as stated on the official website, I bought my motherboard 1 year and 10 months ago from an official reseller of the products here, so I should be eligible to send the card to RMA. But I found out in the worst way, that whoever imports and distributes the products (Asus Brasil), has warranty policies totally different from the global standard, in this case, I have only 1 year warranty from the purchase. And you know what is most inconsistent? Asus video cards sold here, any model, have a 3-year warranty and this is only because the warranty is written on the box, so they are forced by the Brazilian law to exchange the product in this case, as in the ROG box no has warranty information, so I only have 1 year warranty.

I do not know what to do! Here in Brazil this card costs us, the same as you would pay for an iPhone in your respective countries. I am a humble person, I worked hard to build my dream PC and that happens.

I would like to hear your opinion, what can I do? My great desire is to burn and throw it in the trash.

ps: The date of the bios in the image is 2017, but that's why I reset the BIOS and didn't adjust it correctly.

I Got the same problem whit my C8H .
The PCIE_1 solt only work at 8x .
and the other slot at 4x .
I wait for the RMA then i am in canada and the Warranty is 3 years but it's the second MB
that i have to RMA .

Asus have to be better imo ,
even for release new bios cause for 500$ MB they must give better support.

fredepf wrote:
I Got the same problem whit my C8H .
The PCIE_1 solt only work at 8x .
and the other slot at 4x .
I wait for the RMA then i am in canada and the Warranty is 3 years but it's the second MB
that i have to RMA .

Asus have to be better imo ,
even for release new bios cause for 500$ MB they must give better support.

This is so bad.
If more users have reports about this problem, please, comment in this post! This can be a serious problem for the C7H and C8H series.

I've been looking for more information, mainly about the general operation of the pci express and maybe I found an electronic component that may be related to the defect, it's a switch and router for lanes of PCI-E, manufactured by Asmedia (ASM1480), which are close to the main slot. If anyone knows more technical information about it, please help me by giving more information.

rafaelfborges wrote:
This is so bad.
If more users have reports about this problem, please, comment in this post! This can be a serious problem for the C7H and C8H series.

I've been looking for more information, mainly about the general operation of the pci express and maybe I found an electronic component that may be related to the defect, it's a switch and router for lanes of PCI-E, manufactured by Asmedia (ASM1480), which are close to the main slot. If anyone knows more technical information about it, please help me by giving more information.

Hello. i just got new board from asus and i have the same problem.
my 5700XT stay at 8x native even if i set manually in bios.

Don't know what is the problem but it's not the video car cause i try in another MB
and it work at 16x