cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.9244.1 Support SS3VAC+DTSS Models (2021/12/27 update) WOW!

criznittle
Level 8
I noticed this update at https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-hero-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_down... and installed it immediately. I don't know if this was an option before, but it includes DTS Headphone:X and DTS: X Ultra under the spatial sound option in Windows 10. This added a whole new layer of options for 3D audio with DTS Sound Unbound. Using this in games changed everything for me, the level of immersion increased significantly with DTS Headphone:X enabled. I have to wonder how much better it would sound on GOOD surround sound headphones, because it's impressive just on Airpods Pro.

Has anyone else tried this out, if so what's your experience with it?

If you're on Windows 10 with a Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi, you can grab it here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/01AUDIO/DRV_Audio_RTK_UWD_SS3_DTSS_TP_W11_64_V6092441_20211112...

Version 6.0.9244.1
2021/12/27 578.01 MBytes
Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.9244.1 For Windows 10/11 64-bit.
Support SS3VAC+DTSS Models
8 REPLIES 8

BillBittel
Level 12
Interesting. Does this apply to the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero? Seems like it would. Then again maybe not.

Comparing them, the Dark Hero has ROG Supreme FX7.1 Surround Sound High Definition Audio CODEC and the Crosshair VIII Hero has ROG SupremeFX8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC with DTS and ESS. On the Asus support pages, the latest Dark Hero audio driver is Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.8960.1 whereas the Crosshair VIII Hero support page lists Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.9244.1 For Windows 10/11 64-bit with Support for SS3VAC+DTSS Models.

So this means that the Dark Hero audio is inferior to the Crosshair VIII Hero? That seems odd since the Dark Hero is supposed to be a step up.

BillBittel wrote:
Interesting. Does this apply to the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero? Seems like it would. Then again maybe not.

Comparing them, the Dark Hero has ROG Supreme FX7.1 Surround Sound High Definition Audio CODEC and the Crosshair VIII Hero has ROG SupremeFX8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC with DTS and ESS. On the Asus support pages, the latest Dark Hero audio driver is Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.8960.1 whereas the Crosshair VIII Hero support page lists Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.9244.1 For Windows 10/11 64-bit with Support for SS3VAC+DTSS Models.

So this means that the Dark Hero audio is inferior to the Crosshair VIII Hero? That seems odd since the Dark Hero is supposed to be a step up.

Good catch, and a valid argument. My guess is that they're still working on the next audio driver update for the Dark Hero.
Do you already have a good spatial audio solution? Maybe it's not a priority for the DH, while the CH8 actually needed this update.

criznittle wrote:
Good catch, and a valid argument. My guess is that they're still working on the next audio driver update for the Dark Hero.
Do you already have a good spatial audio solution? Maybe it's not a priority for the DH, while the CH8 actually needed this update.

Actually, these drivers used to be available on the Dark Hero drivers page (for Windows 11), but have since been removed.

See: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127508-Dark-Hero-audio-drivers-for-Windows-11-pulled

I am still waiting for someone from ASUS to comment on this.

criznittle wrote:

Seems like it would be a priority for the Dark Here considering the driver that is listed on the US support site (for Win10 only) is Version 6.0.8960.1 dated Nov 3, 2020 which is over a year old.

I thought the Dark Hero was an " ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard" because I found a post where MoKiChU told someone with a Dark Hero that his board is a ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard and needs the driver labelled "Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS MB)". Now I have my doubts after looking at the audio specs in detail which don't say DTS anywhere. Maybe the marketing people just forgot to list DTS?

MoKiChU now has a link to "Drivers : 6.0.9301.1 WHQL [18/01/2022]" for the ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboards, which looks like it's newer than what is listed on the Ausus US support site for the Hero (v6.0.9244.1 dated 11-24-2021). In fact, he has this driver ( 6.0.9301.1 WHQL [18/01/2022]) listed for every version of Asus mobo with Realtek audio. IIRC, he usually has different drivers listed for the different variants so it's odd to see this driver listed for every version. I think I am going to try it.

BillBittel wrote:

Actually, these drivers used to be available on the Dark Hero drivers page (for Windows 11), but have since been removed.

See: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127508-Dark-Hero-audio-drivers-for-Windows-11-pulled

PavelPr wrote:

On my C8DH it's still available to download trough Armoury Crate, I'm using it without any issue, anyway I prefer Dolby Atmos spatial sound for games with headphones, DTS X for me it's a game changer with speakers.
- CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D (SP97)
- Mobo : ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero // Bios 1801 (AGESA Combo AM5 PI 1.0.8.0)
- GPU : AMD Radeon RX 6700XT (XFX SWFT 309) waiting for 7900XTX/RTX 4090 // Monitor : LG 27GR95QE-B OLED 240Hz
- RAM : 32GB (2*16GB) Corsair Dominator CMT32GX5M2X7800C36 Hynix A-Die @ 6400C28 GDM OFF @1.68V
- SSD : 1* Samsung 980 PRO 1Tb NVMe M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 + 1* Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA + 1* Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SATA
- CPU cooler : Corsair H150i elite LCD (360mm)
- PSU : Corsair HX850i (OCP multi rail)

skrybe
Level 9
Using Win10 not Win11 but I've had multiple hard lockups that appear to be audio related while gaming. All since installing the (now pulled) drivers on C8DH. I can't recommend using them and I'm rolling back to the previous drivers for the time being. Can't comment on the C8H compatibility.

skrybe wrote:
Using Win10 not Win11 but I've had multiple hard lockups that appear to be audio related while gaming. All since installing the (now pulled) drivers on C8DH. I can't recommend using them and I'm rolling back to the previous drivers for the time being. Can't comment on the C8H compatibility.

Sorry to hear that on the DH, i guess that's why they pulled the driver down. Fortunately it's still up for CH8, and it's been fine for me. I enable it anytime i'm gaming and have had zero crashes, audio issues, or lock ups. It's stable, as far as my experience goes. I'm curious to hear if anyone on CH8 has had any issues yet.