Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM speed decrease after CPU upgrade

homdax
Level 7
Motherboard is TUF B450M-Pro Gaming
RAM sticks are 2 x Kingston KHX3200C16D4/16GX
CPU is Ryzen 7 5800X
BIOS is 3802 which I think is the latest available.

I am used to not being able to get above 3200MHz on the memory frequency, but now I am not even getting 3000 using D.O.C.P standard profiles.
Did set BIOS to default after the CPU upgrade and started from there. Only tried different D.O.C.P so far.

Anyone has any ideas on where to start changing settings... ?
10 REPLIES 10

homdax
Level 7
Small update.

Testing step by step up to 3066 works. Above 3066 werd things happen, like one monitor not being detected or ntoskernel bsod's.

Will repeat from default again and see if that is consistent behaviour.

---

Yep, same **** happens.

What works are these settings.

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
It may be that you just got a processor with a weaker memory controller, which sucks if so. Hope not but have no suggestions.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

homdax
Level 7
ok? Never heard of that in my 30 years building computers. How would I diagnose it, because if the CPU is flawed it is an obvious RMA...

dangerbass
Level 7
by any chance did you check your ram in zentimings ?

btw do u have an AMD GPU ? if yes and your zentimmings are incorrect go to task scheduler and disable "AMDRyzenMasterSDKTask" that fixed all my problems with rams

homdax
Level 7
dangerbass

No, I did not, are you referring to this: https://zentimings.protonrom.com/ ?
I do have an AMD GPU, specifically an RX 5600 GT.

I do not have Radeon Software installed, but drivers "only" since the Radeon Software has a tendency to crash some games.
Can't find any task for "AMDRyzenMasterSDKTask". Is that not a Ryzen Master dependent task, I don't have Ryzen Master installed.

Open for suggestion, should I do the Zentimings thing? Is that the correct source?

homdax
Level 7
Any ideas on how to proceed with this?

xeromist
The best thing would be to compare the timings with the old & new CPU. See if for some reason you are getting odd timings with the new CPU. Also, if you note the timings with the old CPU and manually set them for the new CPU you can make a direct comparison. If everything is the same and somehow it is not working on the new CPU then that would indicate the weak IMC previously mentioned.

Also, if you have been building for 30 years then having the Integrated Memory Controller on the CPU die is a more recent architecture that didn't exist when you started. Intel started doing it with the Nehalem generation of CPUs (2008).
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:

Also, if you have been building for 30 years then having the Integrated Memory Controller on the CPU die is a more recent architecture that didn't exist when you started. Intel started doing it with the Nehalem generation of CPUs (2008).

Lol, yeah, experience does not equal excellence.. 😛 .

I can't really swap the CPU's back and forth. The old CPU is in another rig as an upgrade from a Ryzen 1600 ...

This may come as a surprise but I am actually expecting Asus or someone to provide me with the correct BIOS settings to make this work, because there must be such a thing, right? It can't be anyones best guess?